+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

arch

Dec 19, 2011
glowingheart said:
you can alway try but you have a huge chance of getting the application returned
Thanks for quick replay , but is that mean they will refer me to RQ or just the application return to me

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
yuz said:
Is it true that if I only have one citizenship, Canada cannot revoke mine and create a stateless person?
Well yes, this is correct. However, since revocation of citizenship is only in the cards for cases of international terrorism, if Canada does this they will also presumably put you in jail or worse have you rendered to Egypt, America, or other barbaric nations and losing your citizenship will be the least of your worries. Also, I don't know how this works if you obtained your citizenship by mis-representation, and then get rid of your earlier citizenship -- I suspect that in that situation, Canada can find a way to be quit of you. Good to plan ahead!

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
hoveran said:
why application returned? landed on 5 July 2012 then should be eligible to apply on 5 July 2013 after meeting the basic residence requirement. Not meeting the physical residence requirement will get your application referred to a judge but why would the application be returned?
as I understand you have to meet the Physical residence requirement, that the one that really matters

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
hoveran said:
why application returned? landed on 5 July 2012 then should be eligible to apply on 5 July 2013 after meeting the basic residence requirement. Not meeting the physical residence requirement will get your application referred to a judge but why would the application be returned?
Because some people in this forum are freaks. They freak out over everything: "should I sign the paper with blue or black pen?", "should I include the addresses I travelled to on the list of addresses?", "OMG I forgot to attach my T4 which is not mentioned anywhere in the application, are they going to return my application?", etc.

They don't understand that, despite of the mockery that bill C-24 made out of the legislative process, Canada is a democratic country. There are laws in place. The law in force until the residence provisions of C-24 take effect does not specify that physical residence is required. It even says it on the CIC website that you CAN apply with basic residence if you decide. But the case will be referred to a citizenship judge. This is very misleading because before Bill C-24 only a citizenship judge had the authority to grant citizenship in any case.

I think citizenship judges will not be too happy with Bill C-24 taking away their authority and they will be much more lenient towards applicants with basic residence. Also, CIC is well aware that in most cases by the time the case reaches a citizenship judge the applicant will be eligible to apply under Bill C-24 provisions. Thus, by rejecting a legitimate "basic residence" application all they are doing is causing the applicant to immediately re-apply, adding more applications to the backlog. And they want to reduce the backlog.

May be it is just my hope, but I think most "basic requirement" applications will get a green light in 2015, especially if sent close to July.

Kaplan

Aug 12, 2010
Amen to Anon1,2,3. I would like to add that the topic of this chatroom is Bill C-24, the effects and date of its eventual implementation, observations, and anecdotal information, relative thereto.

I wish to express gratitude for the invaluable guidance offered by some of the knowledgeable, caring participants. That which began as a forum, limited to Bill C-24 and its ramifications, has become a forum "Canadian Citizenship for Dummies", wherein guests express general anxieties and frustrations, as well as queries which could well be answered by a careful examination of well promulgated requirements for citizenship, which would be infinitely more reliable than the haphazard guesses, often incorrect, of some participants, however well-intentioned they may be!

My motivation is not to criticise, but rather to offer a caveat that the information available here is often suggestive or probative, not conclusory, by any means!

Thank you.

bibouna

Jun 4, 2014
I don't want/mean to criticize anyone here because we are all in the same boat, but I agree with both Kaplan and Anon123. People are really going crazy about this citizenship thing.People are cancelling their vacation so they can apply faster, wondering if they should get married or have kid while application in process...Wow!!! I'm kind of shocked. Although I believe becoming Canadian is an honour and a huge privilege and that preparing the application should be done seriously, isn't enjoying that beautiful life God has given us more important than all this citizenship thing? Besides if you meet all the requirements why all the stress! Back to the topic: From what I've read about bill C-24, it won't length the process as you'll have to wait one more year before you can apply, but the process will be faster than what it is now. The requirement will become more restrictive but for someone who plans to establish itself here, there's is nothing wrong about staying 183 days per year during 4 years in a country you want to become a citizen of. And as someone said here we are living in a democratic country so if something is unconstitionnal about this law than no worries it will be challenge in court. Bottom line: people should really read the bill instead of freaking out. Yep!We are all paying for the very few that cheated the system, that's totally unfair but we just have to deal with it. Best of luck to all of you.

canadian88

Jun 14, 2014
with this new law c24 is it okay to live somewhere outside of Canada? l became a Canadian last year and l have 2 passports. l am gonna marry with my fiance and l will move to Italy . l don't know how long l will stay there maybe 1 year or 10 15 years.

on the internet ppl say immigration can revoke my citizenship easily because l live abroad

any idea?

bibouna

Jun 4, 2014
Canadian88, they won't revoke your citizenship because you're living abroad. Canadian citizens can live wherever they want, that's right granted by the constitution. They will only revoke the citizenship of the dual citizens convicted of terrorism, high treason, spying on Canada etc so you should be fine. My advice: people should try to read the entire bill instead of freaking out.

Kaplan

Aug 12, 2010
I intend to apply for Canadian citizenship prior to 19 July 2015. As a part-time astronaut, if I spend some time on Earth's moon, prior to application, is there some type of lunar exemption, whereby each day on the moon would count for at least 1/4 day toward residency in Canada, if I plant a Canadian flag, or at least engage in a reduced gravity, makeshift game of lunar curling?

Please respond, someone, anyone! At this point I would even accept the opinion
of a reclusive Mongolian herdsperson, or even an immigration expert!

Loosen up, people! Be happy and thankful that you are blessed, by being in this wonderful country, and having the right to the privilege of cherished Canadian citizenship!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Kaplan said:
I intend to apply for Canadian citizenship prior to 19 July 2015. As a part-time astronaut, if I spend some time on Earth's moon, prior to application, is there some type of lunar exemption, whereby each day on the moon would count for at least 1/4 day toward residency in Canada, if I plant a Canadian flag, or at least engage in a reduced gravity, makeshift game of lunar curling?

Please respond, someone, anyone! At this point I would even accept the opinion
of a reclusive Mongolian herdsperson, or even an immigration expert!

Loosen up, people! Be happy and thankful that you are blessed, by being in this wonderful country, and having the right to the privilege of cherished Canadian citizenship!
No, this would not count, as you would have to be assigned on a full-time basis to the Moon.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
you could also set up an informational appointment with the CIC section within the Canadian Embassy situated on the Dark side of the moon ;D

Please let us know how the meeting went.

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Goldline said:
Where u got this from ??? if you spend some time outside Canada AFTER BECOMING PR you do not need to make up double that time. As for that time you spent BEFORE BECOMING PR, yes you need double because every day back then is only 1/2 a day.
The Calculator sees a WINDOW of time frame. Travelling a week doesn't mean you have to compensate a week .. it could be less it could be more .. depends on other travels within the window and depends or amount Pre-PR time taken into consideration (that might reduce as long as the window shift to future time). This Window shifts in Interval Depends on your travels ... In that 4 years Window you should accumulate 1095 Days .. It is not a simple Math especially when Pre-PR time is taken into consideration .. it is Just a Window of Time.

So it is not Always 1 week travel = 1 Week compensation.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whats the difference in Basic Residency & Physical residency ?
I live in Ottawa but travel abroad for business ( Canadian Corporation ). I assume any day spent outside wont be counted. Correct ?

I lost my pre pr days too :(