+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
MasterGeek said:
Would you object or support this bill if you were already a Canadian citizen ? Wouldn't you think that there too many immigrants arriving and taking the jobs of citizens like you and that's it's too easy to get citizenship, which devaluates your Canadian passport ?

Once I become a Canadian citizen, is there a way to inform the Canadian authorities that I have renounced my original citizenship so that I can be protected from any arbitrary revokation of my Canadian citizenship that could be made by error ?
What if the original country doesn't have a process for renouncing citizenship ? Would a formal declaration to the Canadian authorities that I repudiated my original citizenship/country be enough to be considered a non-dual citizen ?

In order:

1) No, I wouldn't. I support immigration as both a practical benefit to Canada and a basic human right. If every immigrant took a Canadian job, Canada wouldn't be accepting 250,000 people per year.

2) My Canadian passport will be valuable to me because Canada admits immigrants, I'm proud of that.

3) No, there is no way to inform Canada that you are solely Canadian. If you're worried that your citizenship has been secretly revoked (a very peculiar worry), then you should call up the embassy before you travel using a Canadian passport.

4) No, if your original country considers you a citizen, Canada doesn't care if you insist that you aren't.

Tolerance

Star Member
May 14, 2014
I would certainly object to the bill,citizen or not. Wrong is wrong,regardless of whether you feel you have something that you want to make more exclusive and bar others from getting (those whl applied perhaps under the same terms as you,but then somebody arbitrarily changed with no regard to what it does to people).

And all of you who have decided to renounce your old citizenship,before the current law is even changed, that shows blind willingness to follow.

Why would a country that is so wonderful and democratic ever make a rule that conveniently makes you drop ties to the country of your forebears? That is forceful assimilation,like what they have been doing to the Natives. Canada the Borg nation.

I always wondered if Hitler's ideas started something like that in the 1930s. The people probably said,it makes sense,they are taking our jobs, we should get rid of them. Many world leaders sat with hin and thought he was a harmless guy. Gave him Poland to appease him - it is someone else's Poland anyway.

I don't want to sound radical,just pointing out that many policies that were widely popular in the past are now routinely called barbaric. Like Canada accepting whitr european immigrants and kicking out others during the previous century (I am a white European by the way,but still I don't want white eurpean exclusivity).

So guys,please don't accept these unjust policies,even if you see them in other countries. As if that somehow makes them right. Perhaps you cannot change anything,but at least don't be Alexander's mouthpiece. They have enough people representing their side,you try to watch out for your own interests.

Thank you :)!

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
very cool....just 14 more people needed to hit 25K as I type...may have even hit 25 K when I post ! great !!! :)

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

om saif

Dec 3, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this petition should be in the parliament now. what are we waiting for?
us2yow said:
very cool....just 14 more people needed to hit 25K as I type...may have even hit 25 K when I post ! great !!! :)

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens

sarah180

May 29, 2014
admontreal said:
Try to apply with 1100 or more... It's like the prices ending with. 99, to see 11xx is psychologically reassuring...
I havent been 1095 days physically present. I had a vacation out of canada for 20 days and a lawyer told me it is ok. But then I have to wait 3 years for my citizenship. Dont really know what to do!

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
As I see it, you have three choices:

Best: Wait until you have 1095 days, then apply.

Also OK: Wait until you have 1095 days, but the bill passes before you do. Wait one year and apply.

Absolute worst: Apply now without 1095 days, have your file tossed into the 48-month-processing-time basket. Receive your citizenship about 2-3 years after everyone who applies next year under the new conditions.

By the way, your lawyer is an idiot, ask for your money back.

turboracer

Jul 20, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
informatics said:
Now it has 25000+ signatures :) :)
Hi I signed too for the petition when will it be sent to parliament and what's the procedure for them to follow up the petition please let know

Would love the petition to be really placed in the parliament will it be ?

pedros

Star Member
Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The burning question for me, and I am not sure if anyone here is qualified to answer, is regardless of when the bill passes when can it's statutes actually be enforced by CIC e.g. due to changes in staff procedure, system changes etc? Now, after some reading I (may be wrongly) believe that the Citizenship Act is enforced by CIC through the Citizenship Regulation:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-93-246/index.html

Both changes to the Act, i.e. Bill C-24, and previous changes to regulation (e.g. see below for changes to the language requirement) have their own coming into force clause

http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2012/2012-10-10/html/sor-dors178-eng.html

When Bill C-24 passes will it's coming into force date be aligned with when CIC could actually enforce it's laws, or if that is inconsequential and it is the coming into force date of the regulation that we should be worried about. If the two dates are different then what's the legal status in between?!

Now regulatory changes themselves have their own process to go to before being enacted, such as proposed changes being published in the Canadian Gazette and being open to a period of public consultation:

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/cg-gc/lm-sp-eng.html#i9

I am making many, many assumptions here and trying to interpret law as no lawyer is dangerous path but knowing some details around these points would be really useful!

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once this new bill is passed, Haper govt. will set an implementation date which could be immediately once the bill gets royal ascent or set a later date.. It all depends on PM. CIC will just follow the govt. implementation date which will be published as a gazette and there is no public consultation issues once it became a law..

ahmadz

May 30, 2014
Hon. Chris Alexander:
…….
Would it curb their mobility rights? Absolutely not. For people who say they intend to reside in Canada and then decide to go somewhere else or marry someone else or accept a job offer somewhere else, their intent to reside in Canada ends. Their physical presence in Canada is curtailed. They would not qualify for Canadian citizenship at that point in their lives. So be it.
…..

This quote by Chris was made during the debate on wed. It clearly shows that he is planning to implement the “intent to stay” on new Canadians and not just during the process of applying to citizenship as he stated before.
My take on this intent to stay section on the new bill the following:

1. Two class of citizens. The people who can mobile freely and the people who can’t for whatever reason.
I came to Canada as a skilled worker and when I applied in 2006 they said they are looking for skilled workers like me. Now after I came here worked and lived I gained more experience in my field. And just like any professional who is always looking to grow I’m always looking for opportunities around and new challenges. During my network here I can provide the following examples of people who would be effected by this “intent to stay” thing.
- An Oil engineer who can’t leave Canada now to other fields of oil around the world because of it.
- IT professional moving to the states on special projects for a couple of years
- A heart surgeon who needs to go to another country to learn better techniques
- Communication consultant in a Canadian Tele-communication company to go on special projects world wide
And many more examples of skilled and highly professional people who worked their ass here to earn their citizenship and were useful to their community. And he says be it they don’t intent to stay in Canada and their citizenship will be revoked.

2. Racist against ethnic religious groups example
a. Canadian Jews which is clearl in their religion that going back to “Israel” is a right. I guess he should start with them since they don’t intent to stay at some point of their lives. I would easily call this anti-Semitism. Canadian Jews are positive active members in the community and clearly this clause will effect them.
b. Any religious leader or worker in their community who wishes to leave for some time to network with followers outside Canada.

Finally I would say that two of the biggest reasons I moved to Canada was Freedom of choice and equality. And clearly the intent to stay clause is smashing and destroying these two reasons.