Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
21-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-2-2014
LANDED..........
3-3-2014
http://www.straight.com/news/645271/if-bill-c-24-passes-canadian-citizenship-will-be-harder-get-and-easier-lose

This is for those who think it is just about time to becoming a Canadian.. the new bill actually, will make us unsecure and second class citizens.. Defenders of the Bill.. do u get it now after u read that article? I hope so..

Maza

Newbie2014

Feb 10, 2014
MrB said:
OMG! I'm laughing so hard at y'all. .... That said I shamelessly identify myself as a cautious optimist in regards to the passage of the bill. I believe the bill will eventually pass ... by the end of the year.

Yes, yes. ;D

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
maza said:
http://www.straight.com/news/645271/if-bill-c-24-passes-canadian-citizenship-will-be-harder-get-and-easier-lose

This is for those who think it is just about time to becoming a Canadian.. the new bill actually, will make us unsecure and second class citizens.. Defenders of the Bill.. do u get it now after u read that article? I hope so..

Maza
That article is laughable, and it is clearly written by some pathetic lawyer who is worried about losing future revenue as a result of the clarification of the process. He writes about citizenship being harder to obtain as if it is a bad thing. His arguments are comically weak, as in claiming that it is unfair that people have to be able to speak either French or English to become a citizen, or that it's not right that the residency obligation should be 4 years instead of 3 without actually offering any explanation as to why. Then, the rest of the article consists of baseless fabrications, such as his claim that citizenship processing times will increase to 8-10 years!

Anyone who reads and believes this nonsense needs to start thinking for themselves.

Oh, and if you are so worried about having your citizenship stripped, either: (i) don't commit any terrorist acts; or (ii) give up your other citizenship. It's not that hard.

I read the article and I get it more than ever...we need this bill passed immediately, and need further reforms as well.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
torontosm said:
That article is laughable, and it is clearly written by some pathetic lawyer who is worried about losing future revenue as a result of the clarification of the process. He writes about citizenship being harder to obtain as if it is a bad thing. His arguments are comically weak, as in claiming that it is unfair that people have to be able to speak either French or English to become a citizen, or that it's not right that the residency obligation should be 4 years instead of 3 without actually offering any explanation as to why. Then, the rest of the article consists of baseless fabrications, such as his claim that citizenship processing times will increase to 8-10 years!

Anyone who reads and believes this nonsense needs to start thinking for themselves.

Oh, and if you are so worried about having your citizenship stripped, either: (i) don't commit any terrorist acts; or (ii) give up your other citizenship. It's not that hard.

I read the article and I get it more than ever...we need this bill passed immediately, and need further reforms as well.
Honestly I see too much Paranoia on almost everyone
the only thing that I mind about is the Pre PR been here for 6 years now
but in the end its just a 2 more year wait with the promise of faster processing times

in fact I prefer the wait cause when I applied for PR it was a couple of months before they changed the rules and all the applicants with the new rules got processed way before me
all the April 2010 or pre June 2010 waited over 2.5 years but the first batch post June 2010 got processed in less time than us

kevikennedy

May 13, 2014
torontosm said:

The main concern by nearly all the posters here is the change to the residency requirement, particularly for those who are very near to their target date. There's a certain cruelty for those who may be close in time to qualifying to apply to be pushed back another year to have to wait. I feel it's unfair to anyone who is presently a PR and came to Canada with the understanding that it would require the 3 years out of 4. It is unfair not only for those who may be days/weeks/or a few months away from qualifying, but for anyone who has been a PR for at least a year gets emotionally slammed as far as I'm concerned. So many of us have contributed to the economy, obeyed the law, and have worked hard to establish our lives in our chosen country. We kept our part of the deal, we're only asking for the same in return. If they must pass the law, it should become effective on a date where new PRs on that date know what the deal is going to be.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
kevikennedy said:
The main concern by nearly all the posters here is the change to the residency requirement, particularly for those who are very near to their target date.
The main concern of people on this forum seems to be "how will this affect me?", and all the proposed amendments to the Bill seem to be deliberately designed for the posters' individual circumstances (e.g., make this effective as of November as I am eligible to apply in October, etc.). No one seems to be even considering how this will benefit Canada in the long run, and how it will actually strengthen our overall immigration system.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
The main concern of people on this forum seems to be "how will this affect me?", and all the proposed amendments to the Bill seem to be deliberately designed for the posters' individual circumstances (e.g., make this effective as of November as I am eligible to apply in October, etc.). No one seems to be even considering how this will benefit Canada in the long run, and how it will actually strengthen our overall immigration system.
Right on, Torontosm... That is exactly what I read here.

MrB

Star Member
Aug 24, 2010
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontosm said:
The main concern for people on this thread is the proposed bill not considering pre-PR times. It is true that some people are out only for themselves but the core of the petition is for the collective good. Please if you don't mind educating us, how does eliminating pre-PR times benefit Canada in the long run or strengthen the integrity of the immigration system. You tend to forget that those at the helm of the bill are politicians not poets, neither are they activists. They have a political agenda and would go to any extent to manifest it, even if constitutes lying to the public and passing a bill with xenophobic undertones.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I think it's normal for people to be concerned about how the bill will affect them: immigrants have connections to foreign countries, obligations, wishes, and the PR requirements and citizenship application process affect these. For someone who is applying with pre-PR time right now, the bill will add on two years to their citizenship application process; that is like finishing a B.A., and then finding out in your final year that the college is thinking of extending it to 6 years. There's no reason to look down on people for being concerned about how they will be personally affected.

I'm one of them, and I'm not deeply affected, but it does have an impact -- that's the main reason I care. I don't know much about the history of Canada's immigration program, but the author of the newspaper article that you disparage does, and I think he makes a persuasive case. Abandoning the points system, which has drawbacks but is also impartial and transparent, in favour of a 'most desirable first' is a huge change, and one that deserves debate. Personally, I think that the criticisms he made were quite valid, and change both the practice and the spirit of Canada's immigration policy.

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
MrB said:
The main concern for people on this thread is the proposed bill not considering pre-PR times. It is true that some people are out only for themselves but the core of the petition is for the collective good. Please if you don't mind educating us, how does eliminating pre-PR times benefit Canada in the long run or strengthen the integrity of the immigration system. You tend to forget that those at the helm of the bill are politicians not poets, neither are they activists. They have a political agenda and would go to any extent to manifest it, even if constitutes lying to the public and passing a bill with xenophobic undertones.
I second that.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
ghatot201 said:
I second that.
I third it. The logic behind the bill seems to be that knowing you are a PR somehow makes your time inside Canada, and your general outlook, more conducive in some way to 'becoming' Canadian. I personally don't see this at all, especially with people who came in the FSW stream -- for example, myself. I was the principal applicant, and I work; my wife came with me, she studies. But if she didn't study, she could live here, taking care of our child, with her friends other immigrants from her own ethnic group, and have no contact with the 'Canadian Canada' at all. Many spouses of FSWs do this, with minimal contact with Canada.

An international student lives in dorms, or they have to find their own place to rent. They go to classes with Canadians, they date Canadians, the get part-time jobs and work with Canadians, they study Canadian subjects. They learn how to function in the formal and informal levels of society. Harper does not consider this to be valuable experience towards becoming a Canadian citizen; even though they are doing far more than my wife has to. Why does having a PR in your pocket make your experience better? I don't think it does, and I haven't seen any evidence that shows that. Personally, I would give them even more credit than they get now -- they work, pay taxes, pay tuition, and contribute to Canadian society.

ghatot201

Feb 8, 2013
Windsor, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with application
AOR Received.
PER 08-03-2013
IELTS Request
8.0 Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-12-2014
Med's Request
06-01-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
12-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2014
LANDED..........
Canada since 2011, Landed
on-hold said:
I third it. The logic behind the bill seems to be that knowing you are a PR somehow makes your time inside Canada, and your general outlook, more conducive in some way to 'becoming' Canadian. I personally don't see this at all, especially with people who came in the FSW stream -- for example, myself. I was the principal applicant, and I work; my wife came with me, she studies. But if she didn't study, she could live here, taking care of our child, with her friends other immigrants from her own ethnic group, and have no contact with the 'Canadian Canada' at all. Many spouses of FSWs do this, with minimal contact with Canada.

An international student lives in dorms, or they have to find their own place to rent. They go to classes with Canadians, they date Canadians, the get part-time jobs and work with Canadians, they study Canadian subjects. They learn how to function in the formal and informal levels of society. Harper does not consider this to be valuable experience towards becoming a Canadian citizen; even though they are doing far more than my wife has to. Why does having a PR in your pocket make your experience better? I don't think it does, and I haven't seen any evidence that shows that. Personally, I would give them even more credit than they get now -- they work, pay taxes, pay tuition, and contribute to Canadian society.
:p You forget the most important thing. We drink coffee from Timmys !!! i mean thats the most important thing is it not? how to order a coffee quickly and efficiently via drive through :p