+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

bosmek

Apr 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can view the next meeting LIVE on the PARL VU .

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/PARLVU/upcomingevents.aspx?date=20140408&lang=en&taid=8&tnid=388

It will start on April 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM Eastern.
Subscribe to the service and then check the Event Calendar for CIMM Meeting No. 23 (1 Wellington Street - C-110).

It works well even with low speed internet.

RAY2112

Jul 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks

bosmek said:
You can view the next meeting LIVE on the PARL VU .

http://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/PARLVU/upcomingevents.aspx?date=20140408&lang=en&taid=8&tnid=388

It will start on April 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM Eastern.
Subscribe to the service and then check the Event Calendar for CIMM Meeting No. 23 (1 Wellington Street - C-110).

It works well even with low speed internet.

danishali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
Are they still increasing the time before a PR can apply for citizenship? What about the people who are already here and got their PRs after completing education here.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
danishali said:
Are they still increasing the time before a PR can apply for citizenship? What about the people who are already here and got their PRs after completing education here.
yes thats what's going on and for the time pre PR that want to eliminate that so the day you landed is now day 1

sashali78

Champion Member
Feb 23, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Our group testifies in front of the Citizenship and Immigration committee on May,7 2014!

Please join me in congratulating Taya T. and Maria S. who had successfully represented our group in CIMM hearing with regards to Bill C-24. Although they were notified just one hour before the meeting that their speech time had to be cut in half due to scheduling issues, they managed to deliver a clear and convincing message which received broad support from committee members and was unanimously agreed upon by the expert witnesses from the ruling party!

Speech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV56blSDpLM&feature=youtube_gdata&noredirect=1
Q&A1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGv-vDmDNXY&feature=youtube_gdata
Q&A2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5sCPDNG-Nw&feature=youtube_gdata

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
sashali78 said:
Please join me in congratulating Taya T. and Maria S. who had successfully represented our group in CIMM hearing with regards to Bill C-24. Although they were notified just one hour before the meeting that their speech time had to be cut in half due to scheduling issues, they managed to deliver a clear and convincing message which received broad support from committee members and was unanimously agreed upon by the expert witnesses from the ruling party!
I think Taya and Maria had done a very good job in convincing the witnesses and the committee members that pre-PR time should count (even those who are in favour of longer time and more stringent requirements for citizenship), and I think the arguments that eliminating pre-PR credit would run counter to the government intention of awarding 'Canadianized' immigrants really drove the point home.

Good job, girls :)

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Will remain to be seen if they (the Govt) will concede fully or - pull the meet you halfway argument - and give some but not full consideration of pre-PR time - unless, that is, the voting in HoC is unanimously or majority in favor of full pre-PR credit and not partial credit ?

Though you will recall that Liberal MP John McCallum when speaking said something on the lines of..." the Minister last week said he would not consider any pre-PR time..but hopefully he sees what happened today.."

The point is will they:

(A) not change their position;

(B) meet everybody half-way;

By the way, does meeting everybody half-way consist of keeping what is currently in place " 50% of time before becoming PR can be counted" ??

(C) go all the way in given pre-PR time full credit;

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Alexander (previously) argued that only time after becoming a permanent resident should be counted for citizenship, because it is only after becoming a permanent resident that a immigrant (a foreign national) becomes a permanent part of this country, by finally showing the intention to make Canada his/her permanent home.

You may or may not agree with his point, but what the minister has not addressed is the fact that, even as temporary residents, these people who have spent a considerable amount of time in Canada before becoming PRs, have contributed to the society, learned the values and culture of Canada, learned the Canadian ways of life, learned at least one of the official languages, paid considerable amount of income tax (and tuition in the case of former international students). The government keeps espousing better integration to the society, I actually believe that even time you spent as TRs would help you integrate better with the Canadian society and make you more 'Canadian'.

Alexander may be right that it is only after you have become PRs that you can finally fully materialize the intention to permanently settle in Canada, but I don't think his arguments would be good enough to support the position of complete elimination of pre-PR time credit for citizenship, because it basically means that whether you have spent 5, 10 or 0 years in Canada, your 'Canadian-ness' (and contribution to Canada) would reset to zero by the time you obtain PR status, and I think that would be absurd and contradictory to what they claim they're trying to achieve with Bill C-24.

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What is the expected time to pass the bill based on the last 4 committee meetings? I went through previous laws in the Parliament and found that the whole process can take as little as 5 weeks (for sure can take much longer). I, therefore, anticipate high chance of passing the bill prior to the summer holidays.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I think one of the weird aspects of taking away the pre-PR time is that the stated reasons make no sense at all. Students and temporary workers come here in ways that make them interact with Canada and Canadians; they are students and employees, out there doing Canadian things, with Canadians. PRs, however, don't have to do this. I came here as a skilled worker, and I work; but my wife doesn't. If she didn't study, she could live at home with our child and never talk to a Canadian at all. In three years, she'll be a citizen. I'm sure there are many spouses in this situation, particularly in large cities. The idea that a PR is 'becoming Canadian' is a bit of a fantasy.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
the conservatives doesnt give a crap about what other ppl say. we wont see a strong fight back from the opposition on this immigration bill. and the process will go pretty quickly.
cuz the committee will finish the study end of next week and 2nd reading will take place. then the committee will go over the bill clause by clause. and then it will go back for a 3rd voting.
so expect little or no change and bill pass later this year.
appreciate all the hard work for the pre-PR time organization. but the government party only care for ppl who has the right to vote them in or out of office.
VOTE THEM OUT! when your first chance come!
tell friends and family dont vote for Conservative, especially in GTA! tell them you are not happy they are taking little consideration for ppl who contribute so much to Canadian society but only gonna be treated as secondary citizen.
An election will be the BIGGEST SLAP on Conservatives' FACE!
thats the one and ONLY way!

Observer

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi u4g5, not sure why the bill will wait till end of the year if the process will move pretty quickly. My hunch we will see the law before the summer break.