+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
This is a funny thread -- it's basically people who are resigned to the bill, but still hope to get their citizenship application in before it goes into effect, which would be nice but isn't the most important thing in the world, either. Because (presumably) the new bill will streamline the application process, it's not even clear that applying now will be significantly faster than waiting a year and applying under an improved system . . . and yet, I would still like to apply this year. It's not a practical difference, but applying is important for me, a landmark that I really want to get to as fast as possible. It's silly, but that's the case. I was thinking about it, and realized that if I do apply this year, there's a pretty good chance I could vote in the next Federal election -- that's amazing and it seems like a huge difference, even though really the jump from abroad to getting established here was much more critical (and touch-and-go, too).

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
?Sorry if my question might be a replicate, but is it a possibility that some parts of the bill get changed after the second reading in parliament

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ahmadimo said:
?Sorry if my question might be a replicate, but is it a possibility that some parts of the bill get changed after the second reading in parliament
yes.

anon123

Jul 19, 2013
on-hold said:
I was thinking about it, and realized that if I do apply this year, there's a pretty good chance I could vote in the next Federal election -- that's amazing and it seems like a huge difference, even though really the jump from abroad to getting established here was much more critical (and touch-and-go, too).
May be for people who just come off the boat and get their citizenship in 3 years it is very critical to get established here. But for others who have spent ten years in this country, have strong connections and families, the establishment itself has been smooth. What is unfair is to make these people wait another 2 years before they can vote in their municipal elections, before they can take any serious job in public service, before they can have the rights that any normal human being ought to have after living legally in a country for 10 years.

sthaeem

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
FYI....

Unicef recommendations to Standing committee on Citizenship and immigration:
http://www.unicef.ca/sites/default/files/imce_uploads/bill_c-24_brief_final_april_2014.pdf

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weekend!!!!!!!!!
we will find out how the bill goes after next week. Minister will appear in front of the committee on april 28.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unless the committee holds 2 meeting a week. theres no way the bill will move to the next stage.
but 2-month is should be enough time, unless the opposition put up a good fight and i really hope they DO

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The " intend to stay" Clause is an item that must be removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i refuse to be a 2nd tier of citizen!

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
u4g5 said:
unless the committee holds 2 meeting a week. theres no way the bill will move to the next stage.
but 2-month is should be enough time, unless the opposition put up a good fight and i really hope they DO
So you are saying that in 2 months it should pass the commons and move to senate
Or
pass both commons and senate

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
londonOntario said:
So you are saying that in 2 months it should pass the commons and move to senate
Or
pass both commons and senate
Don't worry about it -- there is no way to predict the speed at which this bill will move. If the government really wanted to, they could pass it before the June break. Since we don't know how much they want to do that, we don't know anything.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
just comment on another 2 thread about this topic and i cant wait to watch the live stream next week.

glowingheart

May 27, 2010
AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 26 2010
Doc's Request.
July 27 2010
AOR Received.
Dec 19 2010
IELTS Request
done before application
File Transfer...
Aug 4 2010
Med's Request
March 12 2012
Med's Done....
March 30 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Jan 10 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 17 2013
LANDED..........
Jan 25 2013
u4g5 said:
just comment on another 2 thread about this topic and i cant wait to watch the live stream next week.
where can we watch the live stream?

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2 meetings next week for committee, so i assume they will wrap up the study by the end of june.
will become law later this year, still betting on oct/nov.

bosmek

Apr 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not very good news on Bill C-24.

As stated before, there will be 6 consultation meetings at the Committee stage. Two of them are scheduled for April 28 and 30 and sashali78 says his group will be in front of the Committee on May 7. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that the consultation will be over before the second week of May. The government is pushing hard on all the fronts, and will probably pass the bill before the summer shut down.

We shall see...