+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-24 Second Reading on February 27th:

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MWM said:
The first petition almost 36 K and counting .... hope this petition will do something .

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/hon-chris-alexander-pc-mp-canadian-government-stop-bill-c-24-don-t-turn-millions-of-us-into-second-class-canadian-citizens
these petitions dont mean much unless they come from citizens. only they matter in elections. it would be interesting to see how many petitions are from people eligible to vote and make a difference to the political system.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
btw, today is election in ontario. please ask your friends or family members who are eligible to vote to go exercise the right (may be kick out the hopes of PC in ontario) :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
chakrab said:
these petitions dont mean much unless they come from citizens. only they matter in elections. it would be interesting to see how many petitions are from people eligible to vote and make a difference to the political system.
It would also be interesting to see how well an opposing petition would fare, if it was as well publicised amongst the general public?

We have a very skewed population sample represented here, given that almost everybody has an axe to grind.. I suspect that the number of citizens participating is very very small in comparison to the rest.

Maybe the Cons should have offered a Canada-wide referendum on the new Bill?

Discuss....

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Today in HoC:
Projected Order of Business:

10:00 am

C-24 — The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration — Strengthening Canadian Citizenship Act — Third reading (first time debated)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?Pub=projected&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=21

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in the meantime, in the Senate's committee....

June 12, 2014
10:30 AM
Social Affairs, Science and Technology

Subject-matter of Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act

The Honourable Chris Alexander, P.C., M.P., Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Mory Afshar, Senior Counsel, Team Leader (Justice Canada)

Nicole Girard, Director General, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Branch (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Alexandra Hiles, Acting Director, Citizenship Program Delivery and Promotion (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Morrow, Directorate of Personnel Generation Requirements (National Defence)

Lieutenant-Colonel Stephen Strickey, Director of Law, Military Justice, Strategic (National Defence)

Catrina Tapley, Associate Assistant Deputy Minister, Strategic and Program Policy (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/SenCommitteeBusiness/AllMeetings.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&Language=E

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
zardoz said:
It would also be interesting to see how well an opposing petition would fare, if it was as well publicised amongst the general public?

We have a very skewed population sample represented here, given that almost everybody has an axe to grind.. I suspect that the number of citizens participating is very very small in comparison to the rest.

Maybe the Cons should have offered a Canada-wide referendum on the new Bill?

Discuss....
This was one of the topics at lunch in my office last week. The bill seems to have overwhelming support among the general public, including naturalized Canadian citizens.

Skakeholder

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hobbes said:
This was one of the topics at lunch in my office last week. The bill seems to have overwhelming support among the general public, including naturalized Canadian citizens.
Not only Canadians, but some PRs as well. Me, for instance, even though the bill makes me and my family wait another year to qualify.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hobbes said:
that's what i have been trying to tell people here. most citizens are not worried about losing citizenship or how new citizens are affected. many are like: well you came from a worse situation in your home country to stay here in canada, so what's your problem in marking a checkbox that says you intend to stay here. would you rather go back to your old country?

it's a very skewed mentality because many don't realize that many of the new immigrants are quite well to do and "rich" and not just needy refugees.

mirki

Jun 12, 2014
chakrab said:
that's what i have been trying to tell people here. most citizens are not worried about losing citizenship or how new citizens are affected. many are like: well you came from a worse situation in your home country to stay here in canada, so what's your problem in marking a checkbox that says you intend to stay here. would you rather go back to your old country?

it's a very skewed mentality because many don't realize that many of the new immigrants are quite well to do and "rich" and not just needy refugees.
the fact that 'most of the people' are not worried does not mean that the bill is not problematic. you can pretty much justify anything with 'most of the people' argument. that's what they do in many non-democratic countries. any bill has to be in line with fundamental rights and this one is simply not because it creates second class 'citizens'.

aside from the human rights aspect, the bill discriminates against people who lived in Canada for a long time by not counting the pre-PR period.

If the bill passes, you cannot expect these PRs and second class citizens to develop strong ties to Canada. Most skilful of them will simply go to another country where conditions are better, and this would be a waste of investment on the side of Canada.

dandash

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Skakeholder said:
in the meantime, in the Senate's committee....

June 12, 2014
10:30 AM
Social Affairs, Science and Technology

Subject-matter of Bill C-24, An Act to amend the Citizenship Act

The Honourable Chris Alexander, P.C., M.P., Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Mory Afshar, Senior Counsel, Team Leader (Justice Canada)

Nicole Girard, Director General, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Branch (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Alexandra Hiles, Acting Director, Citizenship Program Delivery and Promotion (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Morrow, Directorate of Personnel Generation Requirements (National Defence)

Lieutenant-Colonel Stephen Strickey, Director of Law, Military Justice, Strategic (National Defence)

Catrina Tapley, Associate Assistant Deputy Minister, Strategic and Program Policy (Citizenship and Immigration Canada)

http://www.parl.gc.ca/SenCommitteeBusiness/AllMeetings.aspx?parl=41&ses=2&Language=E
What happened to the meeting ? I cant see anything

sicko86

Aug 18, 2009
Mississauga , ON
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2010
Doc's Request.
8-3-2010
AOR Received.
13-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
28-11-2011
Med's Done....
29-11-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2012
LANDED..........
28-01-2012
Goldline said:
Any updates on this bill and what's to come ?
Everyday that passes we get closer to the Summer break.

I think we should Relax Guys .. even if the Bill Passed the Third reading Today or Tomorrow .. it is unlikely the Senate will be able to pass it in 8 Business days time .. check the Senate Calender they have a full week next week and only 3 days the week after. Last Day is 27th of June before the summer break which will go until Sept. 15th.

Maybe there is a chance for the media and the lawyers to get peoples attention to the bill during the summer so something can be changed when the Senate meets again in September.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mirki said:
If the bill passes, you cannot expect these PRs and second class citizens to develop strong ties to Canada. Most skilful of them will simply go to another country where conditions are better, and this would be a waste of investment on the side of Canada.
people will do that regardless of the bill. if one gets a better opportunity in some other country with more money and better life, i don't think anyone will pass it just to stay back in canada.

u4g5

Champion Member
Oct 24, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guess last night they didnt have enough time to cast a vote on c-24.
they r definitely finishing up 3rd reading today and the bill will formerly start its journey in senate.
most media expect the government to finish the election bill and immigration bill b4 summer break and thats why MPs r working everyday until late night.
the opposition threw a motion to try to recess parliament early but of course, it fail. so file your application ASAP while you CAN!!!!!!!