+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Big delay on citizenship application

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
you could've just said that IRCC believes in obfuscating data.
I tried to get processing times data from their stats department, but they refused with "the data is not readily available, so will not be provided".
Here is the discussion https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/has-anybody-tried-to-generate-processing-times-histogram.800229/

I was thinking of trying to get something through ATIP, but sounds like maybe ATI is a better means for this. I am busy with other stuff at the moment, but I might pick it up again in the next few months.
Lately I was getting an impression that things are improving somewhat, at least for new applicants. Hopefully the backlog will also get some love eventually. Though somebody DM-ed me recently about their 32 months delay, and that was making me very angry.

Reactions: zagcollins

zagcollins

Champion Member
Sep 9, 2017
Category........
FSW
. . . but that would not be true.

Apart from the shift away from making government operations transparent (which is mostly about what information is not captured or shared), which the Harper government initiated around a decade and a half ago and unfortunately the Trudeau government has not reversed, in regards to the manner of IRCC communications (rife with what appears to be deliberate ambiguity), unraveling the underlying policies and practices, and to some extent motives (noting, however, bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do, and despite a lot of forum noise to the contrary they generally do not operate based on "motives" as such), is an altogether different story, an even longer tale tangled in weedy bureaucratic nuance and minutiae, with scarce sources of reliable let alone definitive information . . . for which one could say, so to say, "IRCC is a bureaucracy and bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do."

Which, I suppose, could have been said about IRCC's approach to sharing processing times information. In contrast, nonetheless, though struggling with how to best convey it, sure, in regards to IRCC's approach to sharing processing times information I have made an effort to illuminate some of the detail. Clarifying, for example, it is NOT based on average processing times. FWIW, FWII.
what you wrote again for the most part doesn't matter to me, the average applicant. There should be a way to make things transparent. I've been waiting for more than 9 months now to see my application move after the test (17.5) and there's nary a peep from IRCC. Wrote letters on the webform, made calls to them, reached out through MP - zilch.

canada2025

Star Member
Apr 20, 2023
IRCC changes new minister frequently maybe we need to all complain to the new minister. I don’t know if he can do something about it.

what you wrote again for the most part doesn't matter to me, the average applicant. There should be a way to make things transparent. I've been waiting for more than 9 months now to see my application move after the test (17.5) and there's nary a peep from IRCC. Wrote letters on the webform, made calls to them, reached out through MP - zilch.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
IRCC changes new minister frequently maybe we need to all complain to the new minister. I don’t know if he can do something about it.
Some people on this forum sent their complaints directly to the minister's email in the past. I think they also emailed them to the PM and IRCC :)
Not sure how much came out of this. My guess is it would be at least looked at by some assistant, but what happens after that, I have no idea.

From my understanding, minister's job is to make sure that IRCC is fulfilling the promises that current government was making during the election campaign. So, arguing from that angle might have some effect.

canada2025

Star Member
Apr 20, 2023
There is no way to push. I have been waiting for 15 months and 9 months since test. The last ghost update was a joke.

Some people on this forum sent their complaints directly to the minister's email in the past. I think they also emailed them to the PM and IRCC :)
Not sure how much came out of this. My guess is it would be at least looked at by some assistant, but what happens after that, I have no idea.

From my understanding, minister's job is to make sure that IRCC is fulfilling the promises that current government was making during the election campaign. So, arguing from that angle might have some effect.

Reactions: may2019

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
There is no way to push. I have been waiting for 15 months and 9 months since test. The last ghost update was a joke.
They do seem to be making some improvements, for example they had average processing time listed as 12 months for the first 2 years of covid, while most people who applied in 2019 and 2020 were waiting for 2-3 years and were very confused. Eventually they started posting the times that were much closer to what was actually happening in the spring of 2022. It just went from 12 to 27 months one day.

Also, I think they gave up on that silliness with making people who take the test outside of Canada suffer for it by making their applications non-routine, and now the process is a lot smoother for recent applicants, regardless of their travel.

I am not sure if someone's emails to the minister, the fact that the press has been reporting on some of these things repeatedly, people complaining to their MPs, or something else had this effect, but they did seem to be listening to some type of feedback.
Of course if you try to contact them about your particular file, they will most likely just brush you off, since they have something much more important to deal with.
Though sometimes it helps.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
My family members applied (2 adults and 1 child) for citizenship in March 2023. Both got fingerprint request. Spouse has everything passed. Husband still has Background check and Prohibitions in Process.
His fingerprints were received at the same time as spouse in July and next day for spouse the background check got completed.
For husband, they are still reviewing the fingerprint check even though they have already received in July

Confirmed with IRCC call centre that criminality has passed but security is still in progress.
How much time would it take more to pass the security?
Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
My family members applied (2 adults and 1 child) for citizenship in March 2023. Both got fingerprint request. Spouse has everything passed. Husband still has Background check and Prohibitions in Process.
His fingerprints were received at the same time as spouse in July and next day for spouse the background check got completed.
For husband, they are still reviewing the fingerprint check even though they have already received in July

Confirmed with IRCC call centre that criminality has passed but security is still in progress.
How much time would it take more to pass the security?
Any advise/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hang tight, 9.5 months here being in SS :cool:

SobaAhm

Jan 13, 2024
Hello group
I need your help, I applied for citizenship in 2020, background completed in 2021 after that no updates despite called IRCC, webforms and MP's office approached but same answered INPROCESS
I need help to find out special lawyer for letter of mandamus or any advise please
thanks in advance

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello group
I need your help, I applied for citizenship in 2020, background completed in 2021 after that no updates despite called IRCC, webforms and MP's office approached but same answered INPROCESS
I need help to find out special lawyer for letter of mandamus or any advise please
thanks in advance
No citizenship test too?