+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

better Primary Education India or Canada

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
First of all this is for general discussion and nothing against education system of any other country including Canada.

I would like invite all to put up their points on pros and cons of primary/secondary (BASIC) education system in Canada (not about university and college education). I am just asking about core eduction which our children will be getting there. We all know lot of good things like school fee,books, transportation are free but what about core studies. is that better than Indian private schools like DPS, Amity, Ryan etc etc?

Why I am asking because many times In India I come across people who feel that basic education in private schools of India is much better compare to other countries and that include Canada. I don't know how far this is true?

Some of people who already landed and are from India and whose children are going to Canadian public schools can answer this much better way.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My opinion is that if you want to make Canada your home, Canadian education is the best you can do for them. They will grow up in Canadian society, speak accent free English, be properly prepared for Canadian universites and end up with Canadian degrees, having a bit of an edge over us immigrants who always have to prove that our degrees are as good as the Canadian ones, even though they may often be better.

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
There are pros and cons for migrating to other countries.

One way is that Children will be educated in developed countries. Their education will be considered at Internatioal level which is not so in case of Asian countries.

The disadvantage what I feel about the children is about culture of western side. Many of the parents I have seen are feared of the childrens culture and life style as like of Western side.I have my relatives in Canada whose children are grown up their but their culture is not same as like Asians. I might be wrong in thinking but still need to have clear picture on this.

This topic I was planning to raise but thanks to Aryan99 who have taken the initiative. We really need to know how it will affect our generation in way of tradition & culture.

Lets Seniors puts some light on this and wait for their comments.

Regards
Cool

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
Thanks for your valuable comments. I think coolguy2010 has a point here.

Too much Western influence on child's upbringing is one thing which most of the parents particularly from Indian subcontinent do not want.

Yesterday I was reading one Indian newspaper which was highlighting the same point that Punjabi from Canada and USA are sending their children to India for school education due to this fear of western culture.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Personally, I think they have to make up their minds on where they want to live and raise their children. If you choose to leave your homeland and live in another country, your childrens upbringing will happen in the new country and of course that will affect their views and culture. Your children will not grow up like you did and their reality will be different. If you don't like western culture for yourself or for your children, then why live in a western country?

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Leon said:
Personally, I think they have to make up their minds on where they want to live and raise their children. If you choose to leave your homeland and live in another country, your childrens upbringing will happen in the new country and of course that will affect their views and culture. Your children will not grow up like you did and their reality will be different. If you don't like western culture for yourself or for your children, then why live in a western country?
Hi Leon,

Your point is fine but its not a question of disliking the culture of western side.

Everybody likes to live in developed countries specially western side, but side by side they also want to balance their own culture & tradition which reflect their origins. Obviously children growing their will be changed to some extent but should not forget their own traditions & culture in which they have born . Its an parental bought up and control how the child will grow and meet the expectation to their parents who have born him/her.

There was article in Gulfnews ( 2 to 3 days back) about the western childrens culture. As per western culture when the parents are old aged they need to be at Old aged homes ( I have read this in newspaper). Is this the rightway to deal with your parents who have grown u and taken so much efforts to educate you. Obviously any parent will not like that (specially Asians).

Lets wait and see other members views

Regards
Cool

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
coolguy2010 said:
Hi Leon,

Your point is fine but its not a question of disliking the culture of western side.

Everybody likes to live in developed countries specially western side, but side by side they also want to balance their own culture & tradition which reflect their origins. Obviously children growing their will be changed to some extent but should not forget their own traditions & culture in which they have born . Its an parental bought up and control how the child will grow and meet the expectation to their parents who have born him/her.

There was article in Gulfnews ( 2 to 3 days back) about the western childrens culture. As per western culture when the parents are old aged they need to be at Old aged homes ( I have read this in newspaper). Is this the rightway to deal with your parents who have grown u and taken so much efforts to educate you. Obviously any parent will not like that (specially Asians).

Lets wait and see other members views

Regards
Cool

Yes. I think you also referring the same news which I also read in newspaper where children in US/Canada are too much into drugs and all and forcing old parents to old age homes which is something never part of Indian culture.

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
Leon said:
Leon, Asians or Indians always want that only positive things should be taken out from western system into their culture and filter out negative values which is alien to their core culture. They have this added responsibility. My view is that people who are sending their children to India to study in boarding schools is their one way to balance things. No parents can give free hand to children to do whatever they want.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ARYAN99 said:
Yes. I think you also referring the same news which I also read in newspaper where children in US/Canada are too much into drugs and all and forcing old parents to old age homes which is something never part of Indian culture.
Maybe you read too many newspapers. I don't know any person who does drugs and nobody who has forced their parents into an old age home. Sometimes the parents choose to go there because they don't want to be a burden on their children and grandchildren or sometimes they have to go there because their children must work to make a living and do not have time to take care of them 24/7. Would you quit working to take care of your parents? How would you survive if you do not work?

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Leon said:
Maybe you read too many newspapers. I don't know any person who does drugs and nobody who has forced their parents into an old age home. Sometimes the parents choose to go there because they don't want to be a burden on their children and grandchildren or sometimes they have to go there because their children must work to make a living and do not have time to take care of them 24/7. Would you quit working to take care of your parents? How would you survive if you do not work?
Leon , I don't agree with you for this.

First of all if you don't know anyone who is taking drugs does not mean that nobody is taking drugs in the world. You might not be aware of many things in the world which are going around.

Reading newspaper is good for human being so that he is aware of whats going on in the world.

Taking care of parents does not mean that you have to sit with them 24/7 ( this is not happening in any part of the world ). Its a question of staying together with parents and assist them in his old age. If parents choose to go themselves to old aged homes,there might be reason for going such as financial factors, family problems, etc. NO PARENTS WILL STAY AWAY FROM THEIR CHILD IF THEY ARE WELLSETTLED.

You cannot comparing surviving with jobs and sending the parents to old aged homes. This is totally different. If I consider yourway that you cannot give time to your parents since you are doing job then you should not live with your wife and children also.

Regards
Cool

capriraj

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am lucky though, My children went for schooling in the UK and will be traveling to Canada very soon. In the meanwhile they are getting a taste of Indian Education system so called private schooling. Read on My story please.

We arrived in India on 5th October 2010 and I had to run pillar to post to get my children into a decent catholic school (Private!!), suppose to be one of the best school in my hometown. Paid the full year fee were told again and again that we got the admission because we knew so and so were humbled at every oppurtunity by the principal.

We fished out Rs 6000/- for books alone another Rs 5000/- for the uniforms and other stuff. SO far good, children started going to the school and come back with a shock and disbelief on their face, they are just suppose to copy whatever the teacher is writing on the board no need for explaining. My son was slapped on the third day for not bringing the book and when the teacher was told that he is new from UK she did apologize but the damage was done. My son was very disheartened. My daughter although didn't like it a bit but managed to escape the teacher's wrath somehow. Theyw ere never touched by a teacher in the UK.

My children couldn't understand why do they have to wish their teacher by adding 'God Bless You' their simple query was "we as children should be blessed not the teachers".

They are somehow surviving but they have already started to count. In their six years in the Uk they had the best time of their life in education. They were taken on excursion trip every other week, to the museum, were taken to camping. They met the writers, MP from their area visited the bank and the City Hall to understand everything. We can see a basic difference between our children and other Indian children and that is with no offence to anyone that basic sense of obedience and understanding. Everyday when we go to their school to pick them we see cars and vans reversing in the Parking Bay and the children hanging onto them just to get their place in the car. I think Canada will be good for them

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
Leon said:
Leon, you are respected and senior member of this forum who helped lot of people but at the same time from your postings here it seems that you are taking things personally.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ARYAN99 said:
Leon, you are respected and senior member of this forum who helped lot of people but at the same time from your postings here it seems that you are taking things personally.
Yes, I am taking this personally because there are many people who want to live in Canada with everything Canada has to offer and here you are saying you want to live in Canada, but you hate the culture so much that you want to send your children away so they will not have to grow up in it and then I question why do you really want to live in Canada. You speak of drugs. Sure there are some people in Canada who take drugs, same as everywhere or are you telling me that nobody in India uses drugs?

coolguy2010 said:
Taking care of parents does not mean that you have to sit with them 24/7 ( this is not happening in any part of the world ).
Now who is taking things personally? The only reason anybody goes to an old age home is because they can not take care of themselves any more. That means things like needing assistance to go to the toilet for example. Do you expect your old mother to wait with the toilet until you come home from work? And yes, there are people who take care of their parents this way, even in the western world but it means those are people who can afford not to work.

xenos

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear aryan99,

your fears are not unwarranted. lots of people in india sound the way you do. dont worry its normal to ask such questions. but if it makes you feel any better i'll tell you one thing- don't think of education as what a child learns at school or culture as bad just because kids dont believe in arranged marriage and prefer to choose their own partners. i have known people in canada who have lived in with partners-had children, now are legally married- but as human beings are really great individuals(they have adopted a poor child from a third world country because they wanted to make a difference)-something our spoon fed-indian kids may not dream of doing. good or bad exists in every society, in big schools in india lots of things are happening which i cannot mention in an open forum. its ultimately how much time you spend with your kid, how much love and security you provide to your kid by creating a loving and confidant atmosphere at home that will finally give you results. by sending children away to india to study you will only end up with emotionally deprived, confused individual. instead love the life you are choosing - canada (in this case)- the basics of life and religion dont change worldwide, good teachings all around are the same-be honest, dont do drugs, dont cheat etc. etc. yours kids will shine if they get the basics right. moreover in canadaa indian kids tend to do well in studies because as parents we take more interests in our child and this coupled with their system works out just fine. even indian society is changing-so change is permanent by the time our kids grow up indian metros will be just like the west with is already reflected in many of our movies. sorry for such a long post-but just got carried away ;D

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Leon said:
Yes, I am taking this personally because there are many people who want to live in Canada with everything Canada has to offer and here you are saying you want to live in Canada, but you hate the culture so much that you want to send your children away so they will not have to grow up in it and then I question why do you really want to live in Canada. You speak of drugs. Sure there are some people in Canada who take drugs, same as everywhere or are you telling me that nobody in India uses drugs?

Now who is taking things personally? The only reason anybody goes to an old age home is because they can not take care of themselves any more. That means things like needing assistance to go to the toilet for example. Do you expect your old mother to wait with the toilet until you come home from work? And yes, there are people who take care of their parents this way, even in the western world but it means those are people who can afford not to work.

Dear Leon,

You keep on changing the statement. First you told that nobody is taking drugs in canada and now you are saying that there are some people taking drugs.

"Staying with ur parents does not mean to help mother to go to toilet". When you are staying with your wife and kids and earning good, it does not mean that you are helping your wife and kids to go to toilet.
Common men, what you are saying....?. I AM NOT EXPECTING THIS TYPE OF STATEMENTS FROM "VIP MEMBERS" LIKE YOU.

Staying together means sharing of happiness , thoughts, sometime you needs parents support to take important decision of life, etc.

First understand the concept then argue. We are not against any culture but we don't want to compromise our culture also.

Nothing is personal here and everybody has the right to share his views here. If the person is taking personally to him, then there is a problem with that person. Don't expect others to agree with you always.

Regards
Cool