VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
thanks xenos for sharing.

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
Leon said:
Yes, I am taking this personally because there are many people who want to live in Canada with everything Canada has to offer and here you are saying you want to live in Canada, but you hate the culture so much that you want to send your children away so they will not have to grow up in it and then I question why do you really want to live in Canada. You speak of drugs. Sure there are some people in Canada who take drugs, same as everywhere or are you telling me that nobody in India uses drugs?

Now who is taking things personally? The only reason anybody goes to an old age home is because they can not take care of themselves any more. That means things like needing assistance to go to the toilet for example. Do you expect your old mother to wait with the toilet until you come home from work? And yes, there are people who take care of their parents this way, even in the western world but it means those are people who can afford not to work.

I think you have gone too far in your imagination and not reading posts carefully. You started writing things out of blue which I never mentioned in my posts. You just wanted to make a point here by writing absurd and unreasonable things.

If you observe posts carefully I never used words like Hate and Canadian system is bad. I was just asking general questions. Asking questions is not bad and are every individual right. If you don't know don't answer.

Every society,country, system has good and bad things and Canada/India is not exception.

xenos

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks cool, you are welcome. i think Leon was also saying the same thing. what he meant by parents and helping them to toilet is that in the west people are very practical. sending parents to old age homes does not mean that they are not loved. but in some cases it becomes difficult for a nuclear family to take utmost care of very old persons, especially if they have some medical conditions, as in the west mostly both husband wife are working. this is my understanding, lets not form opinions about some places or cultures, sometimes under those circumstances even we would act the same way.

xenos

Star Member
Sep 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hey aryan99 cool it men! Leon has more than 9000 posts to his credit, very senior. someone who has spent so much energy and time on this forum deserves to be treated more gently. even if we dont agree maybe we can just let things pass.

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
I think Canada has a very good Primary Education System.
Better than most of the countries. I would never send my kids to study in my home country, but live in Canada.
Dangers of Western Culture? What kind of idea is that?
If you want to immigrate to Canada do that will all your heart.
If you love your home country, stay there. Nobody's forcing anyone to go anywhere.

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
xenos said:
thanks cool, you are welcome. i think Leon was also saying the same thing. what he meant by parents and helping them to toilet is that in the west people are very practical. sending parents to old age homes does not mean that they are not loved. but in some cases it becomes difficult for a nuclear family to take utmost care of very old persons, especially if they have some medical conditions, as in the west mostly both husband wife are working. this is my understanding, lets not form opinions about some places or cultures, sometimes under those circumstances even we would act the same way.
got ur point......

Regards
Cool

ARYAN99

Nov 22, 2010
xenos said:
hey aryan99 cool it men! Leon has more than 9000 posts to his credit, very senior. someone who has spent so much energy and time on this forum deserves to be treated more gently. even if we dont agree maybe we can just let things pass.
I fully agree with you but we should respect each others point of view.
Even if we have different opinion we should be more polite and don't attack with personal remarks.

SISH7255

Nov 19, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July 2011
I hope every discussion should end up with win-win situation. We human beings have different opinions, different faiths, different cultures.. and so many different things. There are some questions like egg first or chicken first. Some say chicken first and some say egg first, both of them may be right or wrong, should we fight over it?

Senior members like Leon, PMM, Qorax and many others (sorry for not writing their names) are doing an excellent job by helping many members in this forum. May God bless them all. Please don't hurt them. If you have any anger to vent, please do something else but try not to hurt their feelings. These senoir members are always busy in their life, still they are taking their valuable time out to help us all.. making our life easy. These gems are always happy by giving joy and happiness to others and in the return we are throwing our anger on them on some small issue? Are we solving a Kasmir issue or Palestine problem? so sad! Please respect them, show politeness, and good manners..

We are all educated people, having atleast bachelor's degree or Diploma. On internet, I came across following which I want to share with you all

" Despite the number of examinations you may pass and the number of university degrees or other qualifications you may gain in the future, if you lack politenesss, courtesy and good manners, your education has been in vain"

" Politeness, courtesy and good manners cost nothing, but they are the essence of civilised living"

Hope this helpfull for all of us including me!

owoblow

Dec 26, 2010
I think the best way to look at this issue is to make up your mind to try as much as you can to keep bringing up your children the way you want them to grow even while in Canada. It may be a little difficult but much of the work will be on you as parents. Teach them as much of your culture as you can and encourage them to imbibe the positive western culture you cherish. Remember, "train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is grown he will not depart from it". Like i said before, we have a lot of work to do as parent. keep talking with your children, show them clips or videos of cultural things you will want them to learn, and most importantly, if you believe in prayers, keep praying for them. It is well.

Owoblow

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
+ 1 for Xenos. Very objectively explained.

xenos said:
dear aryan99,

your fears are not unwarranted. lots of people in india sound the way you do. dont worry its normal to ask such questions. but if it makes you feel any better i'll tell you one thing- don't think of education as what a child learns at school or culture as bad just because kids dont believe in arranged marriage and prefer to choose their own partners. i have known people in canada who have lived in with partners-had children, now are legally married- but as human beings are really great individuals(they have adopted a poor child from a third world country because they wanted to make a difference)-something our spoon fed-indian kids may not dream of doing. good or bad exists in every society, in big schools in india lots of things are happening which i cannot mention in an open forum. its ultimately how much time you spend with your kid, how much love and security you provide to your kid by creating a loving and confidant atmosphere at home that will finally give you results. by sending children away to india to study you will only end up with emotionally deprived, confused individual. instead love the life you are choosing - canada (in this case)- the basics of life and religion dont change worldwide, good teachings all around are the same-be honest, dont do drugs, dont cheat etc. etc. yours kids will shine if they get the basics right. moreover in canadaa indian kids tend to do well in studies because as parents we take more interests in our child and this coupled with their system works out just fine. even indian society is changing-so change is permanent by the time our kids grow up indian metros will be just like the west with is already reflected in many of our movies. sorry for such a long post-but just got carried away ;D

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
owoblow said:
I think the best way to look at this issue is to make up your mind to try as much as you can to keep bringing up your children the way you want them to grow even while in Canada. It may be a little difficult but much of the work will be on you as parents. Teach them as much of your culture as you can and encourage them to imbibe the positive western culture you cherish. Remember, "train up a child in the way that he should go and when he is grown he will not depart from it". Like i said before, we have a lot of work to do as parent. keep talking with your children, show them clips or videos of cultural things you will want them to learn, and most importantly, if you believe in prayers, keep praying for them. It is well.

Owoblow
100% agree with brother

Regards
Cool

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sish, +1 to you! This is to salute Leon which is also to salute all Seniors here. I wonder in this self-centred world what would be the percentage of people who care to spend their time for no material returns - save for simply trying to help others. That deserves a salute! Surely there are many others who join me!
SISH7255 said:
I hope every discussion should end up with win-win situation. We human beings have different opinions, different faiths, different cultures.. and so many different things. There are some questions like egg first or chicken first. Some say chicken first and some say egg first, both of them may be right or wrong, should we fight over it?

Senior members like Leon, PMM, Qorax and many others (sorry for not writing their names) are doing an excellent job by helping many members in this forum. May God bless them all. Please don't hurt them. If you have any anger to vent, please do something else but try not to hurt their feelings. These senoir members are always busy in their life, still they are taking their valuable time out to help us all.. making our life easy. These gems are always happy by giving joy and happiness to others and in the return we are throwing our anger on them on some small issue? Are we solving a Kasmir issue or Palestine problem? so sad! Please respect them, show politeness, and good manners..

We are all educated people, having atleast bachelor's degree or Diploma. On internet, I came across following which I want to share with you all

" Despite the number of examinations you may pass and the number of university degrees or other qualifications you may gain in the future, if you lack politenesss, courtesy and good manners, your education has been in vain"

" Politeness, courtesy and good manners cost nothing, but they are the essence of civilised living"

Hope this helpfull for all of us including me!

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
+1 to Leon - as a humble rendering of respect for your continuing selfless service.
Thank you
Nav

Leon said:
My opinion is that if you want to make Canada your home, Canadian education is the best you can do for them. They will grow up in Canadian society, speak accent free English, be properly prepared for Canadian universites and end up with Canadian degrees, having a bit of an edge over us immigrants who always have to prove that our degrees are as good as the Canadian ones, even though they may often be better.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
coolguy2010 said:
You keep on changing the statement. First you told that nobody is taking drugs in canada and now you are saying that there are some people taking drugs.
Go back and read what I wrote and you will find that I never said nobody in Canada is doing drugs, just that I don't know anybody who is doing drugs so it must not be as common as you think.

I think you and Aryan are both imagining bad things about western culture that are simply not true.

Getting your information from a newspaper is not realistic. If I read in a newspapers that people in India burn widows, I think that is horrible. Does that mean it is common? I don't think so, at least I hope it is not.

Same when you read that many people in Canada do drugs. How many people do drugs? Does it say? Is it accurate information? Same when you read that people force their parents into a nursing home? How did they do it? Old people in Canada have rights to their homes too. Nobody can force them to do anything unless they want to. That's why I say, stop reading newspapers. They don't really give you the full story. They can never show you what society is really like.

When you compare that western people force their ageing parents into a nursing home while Indian people take care of their parents, I am led to believe that when your ageing parent gets sick in India you will take them into your home and take care of them on their sick bed for however many years it takes for them to die. Now you tell me this is not true and that taking care of parents really means talking to them and being nice to them, well, that is what we in the western world do too. If you live near your parents, you help them with shopping, you shovel their snow, you mow their lawn and if you live far away, at least you phone them a lot and talk to them and you visit them when you can.

The only problem is when parents get sick, most people can not afford to stop working to take care of them and nurse them on their sick bed as well as most parents would not want to be such a burden on their children so that is why they go to a nursing home. Now that you tell me that people in India also do not stop working to take care of their sick parents, do they not also have to go to a nursing home when they can not take care of themselves any more? And if they do, where is the difference?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Uhh, good that I clicked this thread...

QUESTION: Better Primary Education "India" or "Canada"?
ANSWER: One word -- "Canada"!

Why?
Most guys tend to forget [along the long gestated PR path] the core issue of moving here [or wanting to]... towards the western hemisphere... 1)Better Education, 2)Better Family-Lifestyle, 3)Better Living standards, 4)Better Housing Conditions, 5)Modern Way of Socio-Cultural Enhancement, 6)Lack of Pollution, 7)Better Social Security, 8)Good Old-Age Pension/Care, 9)Stability of Life, 10)Better Healthcare... etc. (I could go on) If it weren't so, we wouldn't be applying for this PR in the first instance itself, would we? We did... but along the way, mostly when we achieved it, we tend to loose sight & get distracted with trivia.

Now, do u think all these were possible if the Edn System of Canada was flawed? Or, if there were discrepancies in its social thinking? Or, if the Canadian society had a cultural dimentia? No. The Edn System here is perfectly fine... the socio-cultural life is smooth & well balanced... the Governance/Public Administration is going head-on, strong & forward-thinking.

Do u think Canadian educated children aren't successful in the Society, or in the Economic Stratum? Aren't they becoming Doctors, Engineers, Accountants, Lawyers, Aviators, Enterpreuners & successful Businessmen? Yes, they very much r. So, where's the doubt about the Edn System here?

This thread unnecessarily went into the anguish of Education Vs. Indian (or overseas) Culture. What Leon said perfectly makes sense...

Leon said:
Personally, I think they have to make up their minds on where they want to live and raise their children. If you choose to leave your homeland and live in another country, your childrens upbringing will happen in the new country and of course that will affect their views and culture. Your children will not grow up like you did and their reality will be different. If you don't like western culture for yourself or for your children, then why live in a western country?
We have to know/decide what we want. We have to look at ourselves in retrospect. If we chose immigration to settle ourselves better [in life] - then the factual position is what Leon stated. Our kids being educated here will have an edge. And probably that's why we chose to migrate to Canada too. To see them succeed. What good it'd do to my kids if I send them back to my homeland to educate - and when they return - they start afresh as an immigrant?

The essence of being Canadian is to "become a Canadian". And if I chose to migrate - I might as well embrace all its dimentions (good & bad included). Though there's nothing 'bad' -- it's just a matter of 'outlook'. While in Asia (or for that matter anywhere else) - we'd have our own traditions, cultures & behavioral aspects -- ditto in Canada... it has it's own civil rules... that is suited to its dwelling -- nothing bad about it - just that it'd be different! And if we have to live here - we might as well 'accept' that difference... better still - 'observe' them to their fullest!

So, where is the problem?
It is in our mind/s. We want to be here - but we do not want to follow its traditions, rules, ethics, cultural aspects, beliefs et all. And would want our kids to observe our own system of education/social-path instead... but they also must reside here... and be successful at that. How, brothers? How could that be possible? Won't there be a mis-match? Wouldn't our children then end-up as misfits here? And who'd then be to blame - except ourselves?

And mind u -- this is what hapenning with many families here... they just do not know where they r going! We will thus find many Indians, Filipinos, Malaysians, Sri Lankans, Bangladeshis etc. But they'd be just that -- Not Canadians! (I wrote those nationalities at random -- nothing specific here -- it's the view which was to be portrayed) And they'd loose in the battle. They r lost! Neither this way - nor that way! And aren't successful as well!

Thus, keeping our kids here - but not permitting them to be educated in the Canadian ways & not enabling them to merge with the other Canadian kids - will be a disaster! For them! We would thus forcibly create a diaspora of 'foreigners' in Canada who r not Canadians... And that'd be dangerous for their development & success here! DANGER.

No one said that we shouldn't maintain our "Indian-ness" (or any 'ness' from wherever we belong). In fact we should maintain our "roots" & 'nourish' them too. B'coz it's our 'roots' which will keep us 'strong' and our 'faith' (however individual it is) will keep us 'level-headed' - keep us going. But, that should go hand-in-hand with our "Canadian-ness" - else, we r bound to be 'alienated' !!! And aliens don't/won't succeed, that much, as the natives, do they? Unless some drastic measures were taken - by the society at large!

So, Better Primary Education - "India" or "Canada"?
One word -- "Canada" !
Lest we shouldn't migrate...

Qorax

Ps.: Leon is here since ages. Many of us have come & gone by. Many quite smart ones too (including many Qoraxes) - but, he has always been there - he has seen them all - and we want him to stay that way. Healthy contradictions r welcome - but confrontations -- No, no please. He knows better than most of us. We should remember that.

Reactions: muthupiping