waived
Passport Req..
Aug 31st
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 9th
LANDED..........
Oct 12th
Hi All,

Australian here, beginning the outland application process. I've lived in Canada with my partner for over a year, on a two-year working holiday visa. I have decided to apply outland for permanent residence, listing my Australian address as my residential address, and my Canadian address as my mailing address. Is this the way most people do it? And, in this situation, will Canadian shared lease and property still be considered sufficient grounds for a family class (common-law) sponsorship?

Thanks,
Kay

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
I applied outland as well, while I was "visiting" in Canada. I listed my US address as my residential, and my Canadian as my mailing. We never encountered any problems with this. I would assume that most applicants do it this way if they're currently in Canada during their application's processing.

We also included our joint lease in our application as "proof". We're married though, so I can't give you any pointers as for common-law. It obviously speaks to your intent to share your life with this person though, so I would include it regardless with your other proofs of relationship.

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Detroit, MI USA -> Sechelt, BC CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
Me too. I applied outland, although I've been 'visiting' pretty much continuously. But we live close to the border, so I've travelled back and forth every few months -- in my mind extending my 'visitor' status. I never had any trouble at the border, but if I had, I have relatives in the States and could have survived. Be a little harder if you had to return to Australia.

In my case, no mail ever went to my USA address -- which is 'staffed' by relatives who would scan and forward mail for me. I'd make sure you have that service back 'home' in .au

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
That should be fine. As long as you have lived together for 12 consecutive months (and can prove it) when you apply, you will qualify as a common-law couple. Once you have achieved that "status", you've got it. Even if you did have to live apart during the application process, you would still qualify for common-law, as long as you had those original 12 months. So listing your residential address as in Australia will not be a problem.

misskay

Star Member
Dec 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 8th
AOR Received.
Jul 11th
File Transfer...
Jul 31st
Med's Done....
Feb 20th
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Aug 31st
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 9th
LANDED..........
Oct 12th
Thank you all for the replies. I feel much more confident about listing my Australian address now - or rather my parents Australian address. As far as I can tell, the only major hurdle will be the possibility of a required interview in Australia. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world :)

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
misskay said:
Thank you all for the replies. I feel much more confident about listing my Australian address now - or rather my parents Australian address. As far as I can tell, the only major hurdle will be the possibility of a required interview in Australia. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen, but it wouldn't be the end of the world :)
Most people with a complete and straightforward app don't have to attend an interview, so hopefully, that won't be a problem either. I reread your original post again and saw that you asked about evidence of common-law status too. We submitted tenancy/lease agreements, mail addressed to one or both of us at the same address, Declaration of Common-Law Union, proof that I had declared my partner to my bank and revenue Canada, and some support letters from some family and friends saying that we had lived together.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
misskay said:
Hi All,

Australian here, beginning the outland application process. I've lived in Canada with my partner for over a year, on a two-year working holiday visa. I have decided to apply outland for permanent residence, listing my Australian address as my residential address, and my Canadian address as my mailing address. Is this the way most people do it? And, in this situation, will Canadian shared lease and property still be considered sufficient grounds for a family class (common-law) sponsorship?

Thanks,
Kay
It won't make a difference. It's funny though because a requirement of common-law is that you "live together" so why put your address in your home country as your residence when you are stating you are living together? But anyway, you can do it as you plan or list the Canadian address for both.