+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BEGGARS CANNOT BE CHOOSERS! AND, YES, I'M A BEGGAR! lol

Tronn82

Jul 5, 2010
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone on the forum is doing well tonight! I haven't logged on in about a year. It's great to be participating in the topics again. I am very determined to immigrate to Canada one day...but I know I must take baby steps in order for that dream to become a reality.

At this point, I am looking to only recieve a work permit. I will work my way up the immigration ladder from there. Remember, baby steps. :) I am a 28 year old male from the United States. I have never been married, nor do I have children, I am cultured and open minded, I DO NOT have a criminal record whatsoever, and finally, I live a healthy life style. (Minus a couple of cheeseburgers and pizza slices a few times a month...lol) I am looking to immigrate to Canada for its social progressive values, above all else. I tried to find a job last summer, but that did not go so well. No worries. I do not give up easily. So here we go, this upcoming summer, for round 2! :) It does not matter what province or territory. I don't mind doing low-level entry work. (housekeeping, janitor, mcdonalds, etc) NO JOB OR LOW PAY IS BENEATH ME! Unfortunately, my educational credentials only yield at a high school diploma,,,but its a diploma I am very proud of! lol I am currently taking courses to get certified in Advanced Medical Billing and Coding.

My current work history is rather extensive for my age. I have been a flight attendant, ticket processor for a main ferry company, help desk agent for an online US stock market analysis company, as well as other various customer service, security, and administrative positions in banking, non-profit, and senior citizen establishments. My total years of experience range to about 8 years. If anyone wants to know more about me, view my resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, and letter as to why I am interested in immigrating to Canada, please do not hesistate to send me a message. :)

In conclusion, I am not picky about an occupation. I hate to be so general, but If anyone knows of businesses/companies who are immigrant friendly and DON'T mind going through the legal process, if they find a foreign worker who is worth it, please let me know! I'll do the rest of the leg work! I am just trying to find some leads to Canadian businesses/companies who are willing to give me the time of day and hear me out. I am a very hard worker, who is compassionate and fair. Thanks a zillion for taking the time to read this! I hope everyone has a lovely day!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tronn82 said:
Hi Everyone! I hope everyone on the forum is doing well tonight! I haven't logged on in about a year. It's great to be participating in the topics again. I am very determined to immigrate to Canada one day...but I know I must take baby steps in order for that dream to become a reality.

At this point, I am looking to only recieve a work permit. I will work my way up the immigration ladder from there. Remember, baby steps. :) I am a 28 year old male from the United States. I have never been married, nor do I have children, I am cultured and open minded, I DO NOT have a criminal record whatsoever, and finally, I live a healthy life style. (Minus a couple of cheeseburgers and pizza slices a few times a month...lol) I am looking to immigrate to Canada for its social progressive values, above all else. I tried to find a job last summer, but that did not go so well. No worries. I do not give up easily. So here we go, this upcoming summer, for round 2! :) It does not matter what province or territory. I don't mind doing low-level entry work. (housekeeping, janitor, mcdonalds, etc) NO JOB OR LOW PAY IS BENEATH ME! Unfortunately, my educational credentials only yield at a high school diploma,,,but its a diploma I am very proud of! lol I am currently taking courses to get certified in Advanced Medical Billing and Coding.

My current work history is rather extensive for my age. I have been a flight attendant, ticket processor for a main ferry company, help desk agent for an online US stock market analysis company, as well as other various customer service, security, and administrative positions in banking, non-profit, and senior citizen establishments. My total years of experience range to about 8 years. If anyone wants to know more about me, view my resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, and letter as to why I am interested in immigrating to Canada, please do not hesistate to send me a message. :)

In conclusion, I am not picky about an occupation. I hate to be so general, but If anyone knows of businesses/companies who are immigrant friendly and DON'T mind going through the legal process, if they find a foreign worker who is worth it, please let me know! I'll do the rest of the leg work! I am just trying to find some leads to Canadian businesses/companies who are willing to give me the time of day and hear me out. I am a very hard worker, who is compassionate and fair. Thanks a zillion for taking the time to read this! I hope everyone has a lovely day!
I understand you are a beggar but Canada does not need beggars.....lol. Anyhow it appears you are jack of all trades and master of none. I understand you are a hard worker, we all are in our own ways. However for you to get anywhere in life and in Canada you need to specialize in something you are good with. We have plenty of over qualified security guards, taxi drivers and waiters, some are scientists, doctors and engineers.

Tronn82

Jul 5, 2010
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, but I disagree with your critical statement of "jack of all trades and master of none". I mean you haven't even looked at my resume, so no offense, but how would you really know? I just gave you a SUMMARIZATION of my credentials within the last post. I am a MASTER at customer service/administration. I may not be as stacked as some other candidates - but I know what I am doing, thank you. Due to the heavy Canadian Immigration competition and a lack of an associate or doctorate degree, I know I am fighting an upstream battle. However, I have been to Canada several times, have friends there who love me, and I have done my research. If you read my post fully, I am currently getting certified in Advanced Medical Billing and Coding to add to my credentials.

There's no hurt in making Canadian Immigration inquiries/connections and seeing where it all goes in the interim. Sorry. But all because a few people "don't think its a good idea" or say "no" does not mean I'm going to stop pursuing my dream. And that goes for anyone on this forum. Don't let a few naysayers and rejections stop you dead in your tracks. Remember, no matter how qualified you are, there will always be someone who is going to say "no" or "I dont know" or "Its not going to happen". You cannot let that deter you for what needs to get done. Folks, keep your head up...at all costs.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tronn82 said:
I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, but I disagree with your critical statement of "jack of all trades and master of none". I mean you haven't even looked at my resume, so no offense, but how would you really know? I just gave you a SUMMARIZATION of my credentials within the last post. I am a MASTER at customer service/administration. I may not be as stacked as some other candidates - but I know what I am doing, thank you. Due to the heavy Canadian Immigration competition and a lack of an associate or doctorate degree, I know I am fighting an upstream battle. However, I have been to Canada several times, have friends there who love me, and I have done my research. If you read my post fully, I am currently getting certified in Advanced Medical Billing and Coding to add to my credentials.

There's no hurt in making Canadian Immigration inquiries/connections and seeing where it all goes in the interim. Sorry. But all because a few people "don't think its a good idea" or say "no" does not mean I'm going to stop pursuing my dream. And that goes for anyone on this forum. Don't let a few naysayers and rejections stop you dead in your tracks. Remember, no matter how qualified you are, there will always be someone who is going to say "no" or "I dont know" or "Its not going to happen". You cannot let that deter you for what needs to get done. Folks, keep your head up...at all costs.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree I am not disputing what you are saying but living here is totally different than actually coming here on vacation and chilling out with friends. You are more then welcome here to see if you can have a better life and perhaps you can share your experience but as you can see from this forum there are more people having issues getting a job than people with success stories.

Tronn82

Jul 5, 2010
Canada (and Europe) offer much better opportunities and high quality of life, than most countries on this planet. It's a shame its such a hassle for honest, law abiding, qualified individuals to make a future there. I understand where you are coming from, Newtone. You are just being honest. You do not want to give anyone false hopes in this sensitive global economy and competitive market. I really do appreciate you responding.

In addition to coming on "vacation and chilling with friends", I looked for a job extensively last summer. I DID GET AN INTERVIEW FOR A HIGH END CUSTOMER SERVICE POSITION IN A CALGARY HEALTHCLUB. They told me they loved my resume so much, they had to call me. The folks at the health club KNEW I was a US citizen. The director said she would be willing to go through the Immigration process, if I made the cut. There were 3 interviews. I got through 2 out of the 3. Overall, my summer job seach did not bear any solid fruits, but I got my first Canadian interview. :) I was proud of myself for that accomplishment.

There are volunteer options to add dimensions to your resume and social networking to get to know people who might have or know someone who has job connections, options to be an International student after you put in some hard work and some capital, PEI just introduced the critical worker method - which it appears "jack of all trades", like me, can apply with enough experience... I mean there are always options. You just have to be patient and stay focused. But have no fear, I am realistic. I have my backup plans. If it doesn't work out in the near future, I will keep trying. I'm 28...there's plenty of time to try to immigrate to CA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you familiar with the Labour Market Opinion (LMO) process? Unless you qualify under NAFTA (I don't believe you do), an employer will have to submit an LMO and have it approved in order to hire you (you also need an approved LMO in order to apply for a work permit). It might be good for you to learn about this process so that you will understand the hoops employers have to jump through in order to hire a non-Canadian such as yourself.

In short, if an employer wants to hire a non-Canadian, they must first advertise the job to see if any Canadians apply. The employer must do this to prove that they could not find a Canadian qualified to fill the role - or a Canadian who they could train to do the role. If no suitable Canadians apply, the employer then submits the LMO request to the government to essentially ask for permission to hire the non-Canadian. Not all LMOs are approved - in fact, the rejection rates have gone up significantly this year.

LMOs are much more likely to be approved if they are submitted for a job that is very highly specialized. LMOs for jobs that require low specialization have a much higher chance of being rejected. (Unfortunately a call centre job definitely falls into the second group.) Since it takes time and effort to go through the LMO process (and there's absolutely no guarantee at the end that the government will approve), many employers simply aren't interested in looking at non-Canadian candidates.

Hope this information is helpful. I'm providing it so that you have a realistic understanding of what you're facing. It certainly doesn't mean it's impossible. However you certainly have your work cut out for you.

Tronn82

Jul 5, 2010
Thanks for responding, Scylla. Well I am willing to put in the work. Whatever it takes, right? For instance, I wanted to be a flight attendant in the past. Its harder than you think because of the competitiveness and the homeland security clearances. It took 5 times before I was hired, but eventually I was hired. I didnt give up then and I won't now. It's my perserverance and positivity that supercedes obstacles. I am aware of the LMO process. It was explained to me dozens of times last year. However, I appreciate you reiterating it. I understand it will be difficult, but I did get a Canadian job interview less than a year ago with my current resume. The healthclub understood what needed to be done to hire a non Canadian, they just picked a better candidate. I'm afraid that's a possibility with any job you apply to and may qualify for. I just think you have to look in all available places and not give up. Each province has different immigration standards, to my understanding. Is that not correct? You have to find the one that best applies to your current situation. (Provincial Nominee Program) I feel my situation best fits the semi-skilled and critical worker category, more than anything else. I will apply a little to Ontario and Manitoba, but I know those provinces would be much more difficult for me to enter. I apply mostly to Alberta, Sask, PEI, and British Columbia because of their immigration criteria...

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I really hope things work out for you Tronn, your story reminds me of another individual in this forum who was very positive and full of energy unfortunately things didn't work out for her here and she finally went back very very resentful and with bitter experience. Its a shame.... I hope things can change for the better for this country before we loose all this precious talent

Tronn82

Jul 5, 2010
Thank you, Newtone! I don't mean to be a Pretty Pretty Pollyanna Princess! I know how difficult it is...it was EXTREMELY discouraging last summer. No joke. But I guess the horrible experiences I've had in the US, for just being a gay, feminine, black male fuels my fire. I guess we can only do our best. That's all we can do. I love Canada and its people very much, and in my heart, no matter the outcome, I feel I am an honorary Canadian...lol. I admire veteran posters, like yourself. I do care about the experiences you have had and/or seen. I welcome anyone to message me and share your experiences, if you like! :) Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Tronn82 said:
The healthclub understood what needed to be done to hire a non Canadian, they just picked a better candidate.
In this scenario it's extremely unlikely that an LMO would have been approved even if you had been the best candidate. To have an LMO approved, the employer doesn't have to prove that you are the best candidate they could find - they have to prove that you are the ONLY candidate they could find who could do the job.

Anyway - good luck! Hope something else works out for you!

Tronn82

Jul 5, 2010
Well, we don't know what the employment situation was like, behind the scenes, at the healthclub, Scylla. We can only assume. It could have been in my favor or it could not have been. I didn't get to go far enough in the process to see. I guess we won't ever know. My point is that I got a Canadian job interview...with my CURRENT resume. Gotta start somewhere, right? I am confident I will be successful one day. It may not be soon, but it will happen. Mark my words. Thanks for being real and wishing me luck though, it means alot.