+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been here almost a year, Canada not so great

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
I wrote a number of previous posts before moving here in 2010 from Australia. At the time we were very excited to start living in North America and were looking forward to new opportunities.

As a person who has lived in 5 different countries in my lifetime, I can now honestly say that I am really disappointed with Canadians. Now, maybe it's different in cities other than Toronto, but these are my personal thoughts.

1) Finding work here is a real struggle. I'm not used to being in a culture where people just simply don't respond to resumes and job enquiries across the board. I cannot get my head around the fact that after enquiring about almost 60 different positions in my field of expertise, only ONE person has ever bothered to actually respond to me. In Australia, I never had a problem moving from one position to another - agencies always took the time and trouble to meet with me, look me in the eye, shake my hand, find out my goals and get me a job. They don't get paid otherwise! Here, all these guys must be going out of business, because it is NOT just an immigrant problem, born and bred Canadians have the same barriers. It's incredibly frustrating and soul destroying.

2) Networking - it seems like just about the only way to get a job is by networking. You have to know someone who knows someone who knows someone etc. For newcomers who don't know "anyone", this can be tough. Skills are secondary, it's "who you know" that seems to open the doors around here.

3) People talk a lot, but don't follow through with actions. I've lost count of the number of times people have promised and committed to all sorts of things and not delivered. This is a place where you quickly learn not to bother holding your breath.

4) Toronto has to be one of the ugliest cities on earth. Suburb after suburb is just a revolting bland landscape of uniformity. It's actually depressing.

5) Canadians are very quick to say "no". Seems to be too hard for them to think beyond themselves and say "yes" to new ideas and opportunities. They seem to be quite insular.

So at the end of the day, IMHO it's really not all that special. Things are very tough here, opportunities are minimal and the general attitude sucks. I can't see our family making this a long term place to live.

explorer101

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2010
CANADA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bkuper said:
I wrote a number of previous posts before moving here in 2010 from Australia. At the time we were very excited to start living in North America and were looking forward to new opportunities.

3) People talk a lot, but don't follow through with actions. I've lost count of the number of times people have promised and committed to all sorts of things and not delivered. This is a place where you quickly learn not to bother holding your breath.

5) Canadians are very quick to say "no". Seems to be too hard for them to think beyond themselves and say "yes" to new ideas and opportunities. They seem to be quite insular.

So at the end of the day, IMHO it's really not all that special. Things are very tough here, opportunities are minimal and the general attitude sucks. I can't see our family making this a long term place to live.
Sorry to read your disappointing experience in Canada. I have met couple of people from Australia who landed as immigrants in Canada and found it quite disappointing in regard to job opportunities. I feel like if Canadians land in Australia they may also find it very difficult to get a job. With Canadian education and experience they are doing good in Canada but these qualities would be of not much help in Austraila.
I see that Canada is bit tough in regard to job opportunities in the begining. Once you land a job and gain some experience also upgrade some education then moving around to another job is quite easy. It is initial breakin which is very very difficult and can take months to years and which I must say is quite frustrating . I am working in a bank and have seen that people change their job pretty fast. Out of hire of 15, i see that after one year only 1 is working and he too is looking to move to some other position. With day to day expenses and not getting a job life in Canada situation can become difficult.
So Guys come to Canada with a plan, look for bridging cources, Co Op's , alternative carriers, survival jobs before getting a job in your own field. Some homework and a well drafted plan can save one from disappointment.

bkuper

Star Member
Jul 2, 2009
Hi Explorer101,

I disagree that Canadians would be disappointed in Australia. The reason is their entirely different mentality. Australians like to "give a fair go" and their way of thinking is much more open-minded and honest. I never realised this until we came to Canada and have experienced the complete opposite. It's been quite a shock.

Maybe it's one thing to land here as a young single person and not care too much about taking survival jobs, but the reality is that when you come as a family with school aged kids, it can destroy the harmony of a family if you are unable to find decent paid work. So for example, if mom and kids are used to dad working as a professional, then can you imagine what stress it puts on a family when dad has to go clean the floors at Canadian Tire to make ends meet because nobody will give him the time of day!

Nobody can really have a "plan" on how to deal with this, because people don't realise what it's like until they actually move here and experience it for themselves.

Although we've been here less than a year, we already discussing how much longer we're prepared to stay around. However, having paid a small fortune to move over, it's not so easy to just pack up and leave without having recuperated those funds first.

Cappuccino

VIP Member
Jun 23, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-Aug-2010
AOR Received.
15-Dec-2010
IELTS Request
Sent with app - 8.5 band score
Med's Request
13-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
19-Apr-2011
Passport Req..
28-June-2011
VISA ISSUED...
21-July-2011
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2011[br][br]ECAS[br]Recd By VO.....: 11-Feb-2011[br]In Process.......: 15-Mar-2011[br]Decision Made.: 25-Jun-2011
bkuper said:
.... Finding work here is a real struggle. I'm not used to being in a culture where people just simply don't respond to resumes and job enquiries across the board ....
I think this depends on how you approach it. 80% of Canadian jobs are obtained through referrals, word of mouth and cold-calling companies directly. Only 20% are obtained through actually applying for advertised jobs. (These are approximate percentages from our CIIP course so sorry I can't quote the source they got it from!).

IMO the best approach is to phone companies directly, try to get a contact name for the person in charge of the area you are interested in working in, and keep hassling until you can speak to the actual person.

Even better is to go IN PERSON to the company and try to get to speak to the person. If you can't, hand your CV in directly and ask for the person's direct dial number etc.

Ismael5

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
yes
AOR Received.
yes
IELTS Request
yes
File Transfer...
yes
Med's Request
Passport Req..
go back don't stop up hard to get 7 band for aus. uuuuuuuuuuuuuuups

ismael ???

giogenre

Aug 11, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@bkuper

I think you should plan how to go back to Australia. I understand your predicament, you have a nice country of origin to compare with. Just like comparing a Hollywood movie to a non-Hollywood one.

I admire your honesty and guts to tell what you feel. Kudos to you! ;D

srid_a

Mar 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-06-2010
Med's Request
06-09-2013
Med's Done....
26-09-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PP Sent: 30-09-2013, DM 02-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2013
LANDED..........
in May/June 2014
bkuper said:
Hi Explorer101,

I disagree that Canadians would be disappointed in Australia. The reason is their entirely different mentality. Australians like to "give a fair go" and their way of thinking is much more open-minded and honest. I never realised this until we came to Canada and have experienced the complete opposite. It's been quite a shock.

Maybe it's one thing to land here as a young single person and not care too much about taking survival jobs, but the reality is that when you come as a family with school aged kids, it can destroy the harmony of a family if you are unable to find decent paid work. So for example, if mom and kids are used to dad working as a professional, then can you imagine what stress it puts on a family when dad has to go clean the floors at Canadian Tire to make ends meet because nobody will give him the time of day!

Nobody can really have a "plan" on how to deal with this, because people don't realise what it's like until they actually move here and experience it for themselves.

Although we've been here less than a year, we already discussing how much longer we're prepared to stay around. However, having paid a small fortune to move over, it's not so easy to just pack up and leave without having recuperated those funds first.
Changing the line of work for the sake of survival is one of the toughest things that you can go through. Hope you will find a job soon..

If you don't mind please let us know about your profession. A friend of mine who is on work visa has recently lost his job as the company closed their office in Toronto. He is in Canada for only 6 months but he did not have problem in finding another job. He got referred to this new job by one his colleagues. He is into software development.

You have PR so you are better off than those on work visa. May be if you get your first real job, you can stay in Canada forever.. :) I am waiting for my canadian visa (PR) but I am rethinking about going there as I like my current job and my kid has good friend circle here (India).

fromdubai

Aug 1, 2010
bkuper said:

As a person who has lived in 5 different countries in my lifetime, I can now honestly say that I am really disappointed with Canadians. Now, maybe it's different in cities other than Toronto, but these are my personal thoughts.

1) Finding work here is a real struggle. I'm not used to being in a culture where people just simply don't respond to resumes and job enquiries across the board. I cannot get my head around the fact that after enquiring about almost 60 different positions in my field of expertise, only ONE person has ever bothered to actually respond to me. In Australia, I never had a problem moving from one position to another - agencies always took the time and trouble to meet with me, look me in the eye, shake my hand, find out my goals and get me a job. They don't get paid otherwise! Here, all these guys must be going out of business, because it is NOT just an immigrant problem, born and bred Canadians have the same barriers. It's incredibly frustrating and soul destroying.

2) Networking - it seems like just about the only way to get a job is by networking. You have to know someone who knows someone who knows someone etc. For newcomers who don't know "anyone", this can be tough. Skills are secondary, it's "who you know" that seems to open the doors around here.

4) Toronto has to be one of the ugliest cities on earth. Suburb after suburb is just a revolting bland landscape of uniformity. It's actually depressing.

Well said.

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bkuper said:

I sincerely appreciate your honesty...this is a reality.

@ayazf.....we should be thankful that we are atleast getting this information and get a chance to re think/consider. Think about those people who have no information at all.

Mitali

ayazf

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
mitali said:
I sincerely appreciate your honesty...this is a reality.

@ ayazf.....we should be thankful that we are atleast getting this information and get a chance to re think/consider. Think about those people who have no information at all.

Mitali
I agree with ur statement and this is why sit up and think that if 'this is a reality' why are people leaving their settled homes and career to migrate.Is it all hype created and spread by the govt of Canada or what..

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ayazf said:
I agree with ur statement and this is why sit up and think that if 'this is a reality' why are people leaving their settled homes and career to migrate.Is it all hype created and spread by the govt of Canada or what..
I would say Canada needs our children "MORE" than US to build up this Nation...this is not only my opinion, but has been opined by many. Thus, the Canadian Govt would do anything in its power to attract immigrants. If you really think hard....OUR CHILDREN WILL BE MORE SUCCESSFUL than the newly landed immigrant who is struggling to make ends meet first and then contribute efficiently towards the Canadian economy.

Most of the Immigrants take this DRASTIC STEP for the BETTERMENT of their children...there are very few...just a handful KNOWLEDGEABLE and WELL INFORMED immigrants who think about themselves. And most immigrants are IGNORANT and ill informed when they make this move and are greeted with SHOCK. Some are extremely lucky to find jobs in their own fields and climb up the ladder.....the element of UNCERTAINTY is prevalent everywhere...OMNIPRESENT ....in all parts of the World.

This is a game of "LADDER and SNAKES"......you have to take the RISK to reach HOME.

Mitali

harry_aussie

Jun 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/05/2011
AOR Received.
25/07/2011
File Transfer...
15/08/2011
Med's Request
15/12/2011
Med's Done....
19/12/2011
Interview........
WAIVED !!!!!/ Casual interview with visa officer on 5/3/2012
Passport Req..
21/2/2012, submitted on 27/2/2012
VISA ISSUED...
1/3/2012, valid till 20/12/2012, collected on 5/3/2012
LANDED..........
Landed,16 September 2012
I agree totaly with Bkuper and Mitali. Well i think a person well settled in his or her homeland and not satisfied will ever satisfy somewhere else.

Canadian Dreams

Jul 23, 2011
bkuper said:

This is a bitter fact especially when you move from a country like Australia to Canada. Australia is having much better climate & living conditions, Opportunities & minimum wages are also high where as the value of Canadian & Australian Dollar w.r.t. Indian Rupee is almost same.

I checked for my eligibility for PR of Australia & Canada both but unfortunately i couldn't qualify for Australia so willy-nilly I had to choose Canada. This is really good on the part of BKUPER to paint the real Canadian Picture for us who are yet to move there. Choosing Canada is not forced on us (Aspiring Applicants) & it is our own personal will.

The affirmative aspect of this post is that it is making us stronger mentally & we must keep ourselves ready for even adverse circumstances when we encounter the facts after reaching there.

ayazf

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
mitali said:
I would say Canada needs our children "MORE" than US to build up this Nation...this is not only my opinion, but has been opined by many. Thus, the Canadian Govt would do anything in its power to attract immigrants. If you really think hard....OUR CHILDREN WILL BE MORE SUCCESSFUL than the newly landed immigrant who is struggling to make ends meet first and then contribute efficiently towards the Canadian economy.

Most of the Immigrants take this DRASTIC STEP for the BETTERMENT of their children...there are very few...just a handful KNOWLEDGEABLE and WELL INFORMED immigrants who think about themselves. And most immigrants are IGNORANT and ill informed when they make this move and are greeted with SHOCK. Some are extremely lucky to find jobs in their own fields and climb up the ladder.....the element of UNCERTAINTY is prevalent everywhere...OMNIPRESENT ....in all parts of the World.

This is a game of "LADDER and SNAKES"......you have to take the RISK to reach HOME.

Mitali
If i understood u correctly im one of those ignorant and ill informed people who do not think about themselves but think that this step would serve our children better.

While we are fully aware that the road ahead is gonna be tough but there is hope that things may be better over a period.Hopes are not sky high which i think will help us cope with the hardships.
And with seniors like u to guide and encourage this journey seems a bit easier.

Donno which category u wud place me in - ignorant or well informed.

Appreciate your feedback/comments/guidance always.

rgds

Ayaz