BECOMING A REGISTERED NURSE (RN) OR LICENSED PRACTICAL NURSE (LPN) IN CANADA

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sheenathomas21 said:
dear Hmisabpk
i wanted to apply for a cno registration from my home country...i applied for a cno application package on august 2011.but that time i couldn't manage to sent that package. i have afew qustions regarding my application
1. This application package would be enough for me to apply for CNO registration?
2. Is this acceptable demand draft of the payment?
3. i am going to write ielts on next month.is it necessary to send again ielts after passing the exam...? thanks in advance...

Hi, sheenathomas21,

1. Yes it is right package, later they will send you one more set of forms which have to be completed by employer and your nursing school
2. Yes it is acceptable ( make sure it is in Canadian dollars)
3. Good luck for IELTS exam, you don’t need to send result to CNO with application, if needed they will ask.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

hmisabpk

sheenathomas21

Aug 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
damascus/warsaw
NOC Code......
3152 and 6241
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
may -13- 2009
Doc's Request.
june-15-2009
AOR Received.
august -7-2009
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
june -23-2009
Med's Request
6-8-2012
Med's Done....
11-8-2012 medicals received in london20/8/12 rprf encashed on 27/8/12
Passport Req..
19/06/2013
VISA ISSUED...
10/07/2013
LANDED..........
27/07/2013
hmisabpk said:
Hi, sheenathomas21,

1. Yes it is right package, later they will send you one more set of forms which have to be completed by employer and your nursing school
2. Yes it is acceptable ( make sure it is in Canadian dollars)
3. Good luck for IELTS exam, you don't need to send result to CNO with application, if needed they will ask.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

hmisabpk
thanks hmisabpk for your valuable info...

dreaming of canada

Mar 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
Good information sharing here! I would like to give you some reality here as well. Please don't take this as me trying to bring you all down but take it as me trying to prepare you all for a a very possible reality. I immigrated as a FSW LPN from USA Nov. of 2011. I had my registration with Alberta long before I came here. I applied to many many positions with not one reply OR the infamous "we are not hiring out of province nurses right now". I managed to get a casual position and moved here to Alberta with my husband. A few months later a temporary part time position became open and I applied and got that. I settled to work in a very very small town of 1,000 people. There was nothing in the bigger cities. In November almost a year of being in Alberta my temporary position became permanent and I applied and got it. Its not full time like I wanted but I was given some experience so I did not start out at the begining wage for an LPN. I don't know where you guys are all heading but I am told by numerous people that Ontario is horribly competitive with Ontario new grads desperately looking for jobs. Canada employers will hire a grad from Canada before they hire a licensed nurse from another country. Here in Canada most jobs are controlled by the province either directly or indirectly. Most are unionized as well. In the area that I live in LPN jobs are few and far between. Most coming open are temporary covering leave. If a full time job comes available a more senior LPN will get it. In Alberta it is very much about who you know then what your skills are. If you know the manager or someone in HR you have a better chance of getting hired. I am just giving you all some advice... if you come here without a job offer just plan for it! You may not be able to get a job in Toronto or Vancouver you may have to apply to more rural areas. I applied for any and every job that I thought I was qualified for. The job market is not the best right now for nurses. Yes there is still demand hence why it is still on the FSW list. The problem is that it is controlled by the provinces. They would rather make health care facilities work short or use casuals when they clearly have full time openings. Make sure you have a good reserve fund and don't discount casual work as that might be all that is available. Just my 2 cents! Good luck to you all!

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dreaming of canada said:
Hello
Good information sharing here! I would like to give you some reality here as well.............Make sure you have a good reserve fund and don't discount casual work as that might be all that is available. Just my 2 cents! Good luck to you all!
Hi, dreaming of canada,

Well written and well explained.

hmisabpk

Kotonoha

Mar 10, 2012
Hi!

I am also an RN from the Philippines. I just recently passed the board exam. :)

I perused the articles in the website of College of Nurses of Ontario. I took the assessment for the "Requirement 4: Evidence of fluency in written and spoken English or French" and unfortunately, basing from what was said in the article, I failed. Yes, they require proof that one can speak either English or French fluently; but how do I do that? I know that I am capable but I can't just tell them, "Hey, I can speak English proficiently."
Oh, and it was said in the article that to be deemed as "fluent," the nursing program I took should be taught in English. Problem is, Ph is not included in the countries they acknowledge. What do I do? Should I take IELTS?

And, another concern of mine is what my cousin told me. She said I am required to complete a two-year nursing refresher course in Canada before I can take the CNRE?

Also, what type of VISA should I apply for?

Thank you.

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kotonoha said:
Hi!
I am also an RN from the Philippines. ..........refresher course in Canada before I can take the CNRE?
Also, what type of VISA should I apply for?
Thank you.
Hi, Kotonoha,
In this case you need to take IELTS to process your application for immigration. For nursing registration you may take other test (optional).
Your cousin is not right, not everyone required to go for refresher course some applicant ( now day majority ) have to do that and it is call pathway to RN or bridging program. However, If your nursing curriculum or syllabus is having the same credit, you can be permitted to take CNRE. The CNO will verify the all information and will evaluate / accredit your education / experience and will decide you need to attend a bridging program or you can go for CNRE exam. The details about RN, LPN bridging program and languages test requirements are on CNO website OR you may check the reply # 71 on this thread. http://www.cno.org/

If you want to immigrate to Canada, there are a few different ways to apply. You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.
Find out about the requirements and the steps to apply in each category visit this link. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Hope that helps, :)

hmisabpk

trisha11

Jan 8, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I graduated from a known university in Philippines and have 2 years and 2 months exp in a hospital setting. I understand that my education here in Ph is different in Canada. But is there a chance or anybody here from PH and has a good hosp exp that don't require Bridging Program and can take CRNE already? thanks!

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trisha11 said:
I graduated from a known university in Philippines……………. good hosp exp that don't require Bridging Program and can take CRNE already? thanks!
Hi, Trisha11,
Hospital doesn’t require bridging program (in fact indirectly they are looking in your resume) It is the requirement of regulatory body and in Ontario, for nurses regulatory body is The College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). You can take CRNE if CNO accredit and evaluate your education equivalent to Canadian Bachelor degree program.

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

prmalr

Jul 16, 2010
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
i would like to know that, passing CRNE is applicable to all provinces?
ie do we have to give separate nurses registration and license exams for different provinces, or with one crne registration exams we can work in different provinces?
members please help
thanks

prmalr.

sikh19

Star Member
Dec 14, 2011
Punjab-India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Received on 17 Dec 2011 @ Canada
Doc's Request.
Sent along with Application
Nomination.....
PER-25/03/2012
AOR Received.
April 2012
IELTS Request
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Waheguru Ji di Marzi naal...
hi friends.......................my details are,

Applicant NOC Visa Office Current Status PER Received AOR Received
sikh19 3233 New Delhi GOT AOR 25/03/12 13/04/12

if there is any other applicant for Nursing or LPN category got per/aor/MR/Visa....lets connect here

and how long it can take me to get Medical Request from New Delhi Visa office as my file file transfer
to NDVO on 13/04/2012

thanks to all

sikh19

Please join my thread if some one is from India and got PER/Aor?MR

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/registered-nurse-and-lpn-got-peraor-from-ndvo-let-connect-here-t102365.0.html

RN

Star Member
Jan 28, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PRMAIR, Passing the CRNE is applicable to all province (I think except the province of Quebec). However, there are some minor variations in registration requirements and procedures for different provinces. Also, the province need to approve you as being eligible for registration before you can write the CRNE.

Good luck to you on your journey.

lazyday

Apr 26, 2012
hi hmisabpk! this is a very informative thread..:)

I have few questions to ask. I am a registered nurse with 3years hospital experience as a staff nurse and 1 year experience a clinical instructor. I am planning to apply in FSW category and as a Registered Nurse. Is my experience as a clinical instructor can be counted as experience in order for me to get the maximum points in Experience. I heard that nurse instructors have been removed in the titles of RN. Is this true? I badly need this to exactly get the 67points.

Thank you... :D

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lazyday said:
hi hmisabpk! this is a very informative thread..:)

I have few questions to ask. I am a registered nurse with 3years hospital experience as a staff nurse and 1 year experience a clinical instructor. I am planning to apply in FSW category and as a Registered Nurse. Is my experience as a clinical instructor can be counted as experience in order for me to get the maximum points in Experience. I heard that nurse instructors have been removed in the titles of RN. Is this true? I badly need this to exactly get the 67points.

Thank you... :D

Hi, lazyday,
I don’t think you will be having a problem with your points, C.I is removed from list of FSW, you can mention in your RN work experience and it will be counted. You may c take a test to know your points at this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp
Try to get good band in IELTS to increase your points.

Hope that helps,

hmisabpk

lazyday

Apr 26, 2012
thank u hmisabpk! :D so i still get the maximum point in Experience which is 21 even if my 1year out of 4years experience was a clinical instructor?
I'll have my IELTS exam on June 9. I hope I'll get a good band score..:)

-Lazyday

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lazyday said:
thank u hmisabpk! :D so i still get the maximum point in Experience which is 21 even if my 1year out of 4years experience was a clinical instructor?
I'll have my IELTS exam on June 9. I hope I'll get a good band score..:)

-Lazyday
Hi, lazyday,

Yes you will, and best of luck for IELTS ( prepare well )

regards,

hmisabpk