+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP - Need some clarity

sarancanda40

Dec 28, 2022
Hi Folks,

My company established in BC and have offices in Ontario and my work location Ottawa/ON. However, My full time offer letter says my work location Ottawa and benefit programs and Termination as Ontario employment standards Act.

Will this is OK to apply BC PNP since my company well established in BC, my job offer is valid for BC PNP?

Thanks

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hi Folks,

My company established in BC and have offices in Ontario and my work location Ottawa/ON. However, My full time offer letter says my work location Ottawa and benefit programs and Termination as Ontario employment standards Act.

Will this is OK to apply BC PNP since my company well established in BC, my job offer is valid for BC PNP?

Thanks
Doesn't seem to be the case to me. If you're going through BCPNP, working in BC, why would they state Ottawa as your work location???

For your own protection and to make this all consistent, I would ask your employer to change it to a BC location and governance of the contract as per BC labour laws.

Reactions: EdytaM and scylla

sarancanda40

Dec 28, 2022
Doesn't seem to be the case to me. If you're going through BCPNP, working in BC, why would they state Ottawa as your work location???

For your own protection and to make this all consistent, I would ask your employer to change it to a BC location and governance of the contract as per BC labour laws.
Thank you for quick reply...

I work for Client; we are into services. and I’ve been working here in Ottawa from past 1 year.

The main confusion with BC PNP URL# https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/Skills-Immigration # it doesn’t mention anywhere that work location should be in BC. --> Appeciate any further comments/suggestions on this.

Eligibility
To qualify for this stream, you must:
  • have accepted a full-time, indeterminate job offer (the job offer must not be temporary or have a defined end date) from a B.C. employer. The job must be in a skilled occupation (NOC TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3)
  • be qualified to perform the duties of the job
  • have a minimum of two years of full-time (or full-time equivalent) work experience in any skilled occupation (NOC TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3)
  • show you can support yourself and your dependants
  • have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada
  • for NOC TEER 2 or 3 occupations, meet minimum language requirements
  • have a wage offer in line with B.C. wage rates for the occupation

Last edited:

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Thank you for quick reply...

I work for Client; we are into services. and I’ve been working here in Ottawa from past 1 year.

The main confusion with BC PNP URL# https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-to-B-C/Skills-Immigration # it doesn’t mention anywhere that work location should be in BC. --> Appeciate any further comments/suggestions on this.

Eligibility
To qualify for this stream, you must:
  • have accepted a full-time, indeterminate job offer (the job offer must not be temporary or have a defined end date) from a B.C. employer. The job must be in a skilled occupation (NOC TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3)
  • be qualified to perform the duties of the job
  • have a minimum of two years of full-time (or full-time equivalent) work experience in any skilled occupation (NOC TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3)
  • show you can support yourself and your dependants
  • have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada
  • for NOC TEER 2 or 3 occupations, meet minimum language requirements
  • have a wage offer in line with B.C. wage rates for the occupation
It doesn't matter - for a person's own protection, the contract should always state the province in which the candidate is working in, and state that the contract will be governed by the laws of that province.

If in the case the employee needs to sue the employer, and the employee lives in BC and the contract states Ontario Employment Standards Act, then guess what? The employee will need to travel to Ontario and sue the employer in an Ontario court. Can you imagine how inaccessible and expensive that is? The employer can also bully the employee and say: "We were being nice and letting you work in BC, but now we want you to move to Ontario. You can't refuse this because it is in your contract."

I have worked for corporations in UK, Australia and Canada. Always I made sure that the province/state/territory I worked in was the one in which my contract was named, even if the main office or other offices are in a different province/state/territory.

Last edited:

sarancanda40

Dec 28, 2022
It doesn't matter - for a person's own protection, the contract should always state the province in which the candidate is working in, and state that the contract will be governed by the laws of that province.

If in the case the employee needs to sue the employer, and the employee lives in BC and the contract states Ontario Employment Standards Act, then guess what? The employee will need to travel to Ontario and sue the employer in an Ontario court. Can you imagine how inaccessible and expensive that is? The employer can also bully the employee and say: "We were being nice and letting you work in BC, but now we want you to move to Ontario. You can't refuse this because it is in your contract."

I have worked for corporations in UK, Australia and Canada. Always I made sure that the province/state/territory I worked in was the one in which my contract was named, even if the main office or other offices are in a different province/state/territory.
Yeah, I thought same so.. I'm going to use same offer letter with Ottawa work location with establised BC Employer.. let's see how it works. I dont have choice either.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yeah, I thought same so.. I'm going to use same offer letter with Ottawa work location with establised BC Employer.. let's see how it works. I dont have choice either.
Your employer has to fill out all the forms to sponsor your nomination and show they couldn’t hire locally too so how are they showing that you are working in BC? They need to submit more than a job offer.

sarancanda40

Dec 28, 2022
Your employer has to fill out all the forms to sponsor your nomination and show they couldn’t hire locally too so how are they showing that you are working in BC? They need to submit more than a job offer.
Yes, They are on it.
They saying that. Municipal business licence not available with them, Is there any possible to mitigate?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, They are on it.
They saying that. Municipal business licence not available with them, Is there any possible to mitigate?
Why not? It is a mandatory document to show the company is established in BC. What is company showing for incorporation?

Last edited:
Reactions: vkamath

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
These are the documents needed after you get the ITA. I think if a province nominates you it excepts you to stay and work there for some time.

1. Employer Recommendation letter
  2. Detailed job description
  3. Company information
  4. Copy of the Certificate of Incorporation
  5. Copy of the valid Municipal Business Licence
  6. NUMBER OF FULL-TIME-EQUIVALENT EMPLOYEES
  7. YEAR COMPANY ESTABLISHED IN B.C.
My best wishes. Hope you figure it out

sarancanda40

Dec 28, 2022
These are the documents needed after you get the ITA. I think if a province nominates you it excepts you to stay and work there for some time.

1. Employer Recommendation letter
  2. Detailed job description
  3. Company information
  4. Copy of the Certificate of Incorporation
  5. Copy of the valid Municipal Business Licence
  6. NUMBER OF FULL-TIME-EQUIVALENT EMPLOYEES
  7. YEAR COMPANY ESTABLISHED IN B.C.
My best wishes. Hope you figure it out
Thank you, I've got all docuemnts except Municipal Business Licence - My company saying., Such licence is not applicable for IT company's - Any suggestions?

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Not sure my BCPNP was filed by my employer. They didn't provide me the details sorry i wish i could help you

sarancanda40

Dec 28, 2022
Any update on this?
You can submit copy of commercial lease Instead Municipal Business Licence .

I've got below email stating to submit commerical lease. Hope it helps.
  • Your stated proposed work location is listed as ########, Victoria, BC. I request that your employer provide additional work location evidence (i.e. copy of commercial lease).

RKGRADS

May 24, 2023
You can submit copy of commercial lease Instead Municipal Business Licence .

I've got below email stating to submit commerical lease. Hope it helps.
  • Your stated proposed work location is listed as ########, Victoria, BC. I request that your employer provide additional work location evidence (i.e. copy of commercial lease).
Hi,
Did the lease agreement work for you and did they waive off the requirement to submit municipal business license? Please help me, I have limited time to submit the documents.