+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BC PNP April 2014

zoenick

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
The easiest way to get a new work permit once you have the support letter is to drive to the border and flagpole. They can issue the new visa there and then.

Make it 2014

Jul 23, 2014
martha1901 said:
Hi Make it 2014,

Have you email PNP as to how far they are with your application? Are you gone pass the processing time or at least nearly over the processing period? I don't know much about IEC program ,but assuming that you'll be nominated, then you're entitled to renew that permit and put you on implied status while waiting for you new permit, of which you can continue working until a decision will be made to your application.It doesn't matter if you're IEC cause you're extending your permit under PNP. I may not be an expert, but what you can consider is to apply thru paper application and include a copy of your file number, as well as a cover letter explaining your case. As soon as you have your certificate and letter of support, send it to them ASAP.

When I was on the same boat while waiting for my PNP approval, I did a lot of phone call to CIC . The problem if you change your status to visitor is that, you have to file it way ahead of time, cause it has to be approve before the expiry of your current permit. Once you're on a visitor visa, you have to stop working immediately. when you received your PNP nomination, you will then file for a restoration of status of which I was told by CIC it will take around 16 weeks to process. Let me tell you though, that once your permit expires and you're of no status here, you have within 90 days to restore that, please do further research thru CIC website about restoration of status.

You really have to study your option as to which one will work best for you.

Good luck and hope I kind of help you in a way.

Martha1901
Hi Martha1901,

According to the results I searched, IEC working permit is not extendable, so that's the reason lbdz wants change his/her status to a visitor.

I will try to email BC PNP next early week and hope they can give me some information for my application.

I checked the process time to apply to extend to a visitor on line is around 11 days now. Did I get the wrong information?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

When I get the nomination, do I need to restore from a visitor to a worker or I can just apply for work permit directly. I checked some information you only need to restore your status when you lost your status. This is so confusing.

Very appreciate...

zoenick

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
I believe once you apply for visitor status online you have implied visitor status.
If you go to border with support letter and other docs once you have them they will have the paperwork for you to get a new work visa.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Hi Guys,

Let me clarify that implied status is a worker right, http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/employers/expiry.shtml. Employer can't refused you to continue working while on implied status.

Thanks.

Martha1901

Make it 2014

Jul 23, 2014
zoenick said:
I believe once you apply for visitor status online you have implied visitor status.
If you go to border with support letter and other docs once you have them they will have the paperwork for you to get a new work visa.
Hi Zoenick,

Do you know if I can continue to work until my work permit expires after I apply to change to a visitor on line? I know I definitely need to stop working after I get a visitor permit.

I am from a visa exempt country and I doubt if I need to change to a visitor.

So the only option is going to the border to get a new work permit after I get the support letter?
Do you know how many years they will issue to you?

Thank you.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Make it 2014 said:
Hi Martha1901,

According to the results I searched, IEC working permit is not extendable, so that's the reason lbdz wants change his/her status to a visitor.

I will try to email BC PNP next early week and hope they can give me some information for my application.

I checked the process time to apply to extend to a visitor on line is around 11 days now. Did I get the wrong information?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

When I get the nomination, do I need to restore from a visitor to a worker or I can just apply for work permit directly. I checked some information you only need to restore your status when you lost your status. This is so confusing.

Very appreciate...
hi make it 2014,

IEC might not be extendable but you are not extending your permit under IEC but rather as BC PNP ( you have been nominated by the province ).

Now if you have change your status to visitor and then your nomination arrived, you have to apply for change of status to work permit. Yes, I might have confused you as to restoration of status, you're correct that this only applies to those that have lost their status here but bearing in mind that you have technically lost your work permit status but legally you're entitled to stay in Canada if you have change to visitor's visa. Please phone CIC and ask them this question about applying from visitor to worker, cause when I ask them that it's quite a complex answer, might be I wasn't getting it right then. It sounds like, I need to do the whole process.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Make it 2014 said:
Hi Zoenick,

Do you know if I can continue to work until my work permit expires after I apply to change to a visitor on line? I know I definitely need to stop working after I get a visitor permit.

I am from a visa exempt country and I doubt if I need to change to a visitor.

So the only option is going to the border to get a new work permit after I get the support letter?
Do you know how many years they will issue to you?

Thank you.
I came from a visa exempt country too, but I think you still have to let them know.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
zoenick said:
Hi Zoenick,

I don't think there is an implied visitor status, you need to have a visitor's visa approved before your current permit expires.

Thanks.

martha1901

Make it 2014

Jul 23, 2014
martha1901 said:
hi make it 2014,

IEC might not be extendable but you are not extending your permit under IEC but rather as BC PNP ( you have been nominated by the province ).

Now if you have change your status to visitor and then your nomination arrived, you have to apply for change of status to work permit. Yes, I might have confused you as to restoration of status, you're correct that this only applies to those that have lost their status here but bearing in mind that you have technically lost your work permit status but legally you're entitled to stay in Canada if you have change to visitor's visa. Please phone CIC and ask them this question about applying from visitor to worker, cause when I ask them that it's quite a complex answer, might be I wasn't getting it right then. It sounds like, I need to do the whole process.
Do you know how to explain to CIC I am trying to get a new work permit under BC PNP?
I have read through many articles and many of them say you don't have implied status for IEC visa.

Or I can send out to extend the working permit under BC PNP and stop working after my current work permit expires?

Sorry, I am really confused about the work permit stuff.

zoenick

Star Member
Jul 23, 2014
The easiest and safest thing to do is to apply for visitor visa before your current permit expires( eg day before), you must then stop working. Wait for support letter to arrive and once it does either apply for new work permit If doing this by post you have to wait for them to process before working could be several weeks. If you go to border you can get new work permit immediately.
This is safest option as you always maintain legal status. Only disadvantage is that you have to stop working for employer and then start again once you obtain new permit. Not all employers are ok with this. Also I think for some categories of pnp application you have to be in continuous employment. Entry level/ semi skilled.

I know lots of people that have applied to extend iec and not had any issues but from all the articles on the internet it does seem like it is potentially an issue. However when I went into the pnp office last week to ask for update they suggested I could do this to get a few extra weeks if I needed.

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Make it 2014 said:
Do you know how to explain to CIC I am trying to get a new work permit under BC PNP?
I have read through many articles and many of them say you don't have implied status for IEC visa.

Or I can send out to extend the working permit under BC PNP and stop working after my current work permit expires?

Hi make it 2014,

If you phone CIC and ask them that your extending your permit thru PNP application and still waiting for your nomination, honestly they will say that you can't do this. I want to be honest with you, the reason being that it's important to email PNP and find out as to how far your application is, cause this will give you a basis of approx. time that you'll received your nomination, assuming that it is a positive result. Paper application takes longer than online, so you're actually banking on more time and hopefully your nomination will arrived and send it to them, but just explain on your application though that you're extending your permit thru PNP and include the AOR letter from PNP. but if you're far from getting your nomination then might be you have to look at changing your status to visitor but then again you need to find out from PNP, if you change your status as visitor will your PNP application will still be valid?

Again let me just re-iterate I'm not expert on this, clarify with CIC or any immigration consultant.

Thanks.

Martha1901

skg1989

Star Member
Mar 7, 2014
surrey
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys
I need some help.
My work permit expires on october 25
I applied in last week of may. At that time processing time was 16 weeks maximum. Will i be able to any decision before my work permit expires.

iamfelix

Aug 13, 2014
skg1989 said:
Hi guys
I need some help.
My work permit expires on october 25
I applied in last week of may. At that time processing time was 16 weeks maximum. Will i be able to any decision before my work permit expires.
Hi There,
Unfourtunately the processing times have gone way up, I applied april 10 and was told 16 weeks too but I'm still waiting on mine for over 21 weeks now. At least 5 months seems to be the new standard.

You've got a few options though to make up the time needed, the posts above should help.

Felix

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Make it 2014 said:

Hi Make it 2014,

You don't have to stop working while waiting for your new WP, you'll automatically be under implied status and continue to work under the same conditions until decision has been made.

Martha1901

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Hi guys,

I know it is stressful waiting for PNP with a WP expiring. I want to share my experienced as I was on the same boat, just lucky that I got my nomination in a matter of 8 weeks. It caught me off guard, as I wasn't aware that I could not extend my WP thru LMO, things have changed and the only way that I could do it is thru PNP, with a very tight timeline. I only have 3 months left on my WP then, having a full time job and a family as dependents, it wasn't easy. I didn't go for a consultant, I want to save my money if in case worst thing could happen.

The biggest thing of my survival was being accurate with my documentations, you have to be on top with the needed paper work. I have no room to make a mistake. Lesson is, while waiting for your PNP, look at the needed requirements in renewing your work permit as it could be overwhelming too , Start filling in those application and check it a million times. This way when you got your nomination you have a thoroughly checked, complete WP applications with the needed documents in place.

Good luck.

Martha1901