Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
For anyone that receives coverage via a group (employer or union typically) then you must submit the paperwork to the group administrator and THEY forward it to MSP in Victoria. It takes at least a month for them to even look at paperwork.

Ponga's citation to the regulations is quite valuable: it clearly states that you just need to demonstrate you have applied and the application is "still active". You don't need AIP and you shouldn't accept "no" as an answer from them - there IS an appeals process if you are refused and you will win an appeal.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
AIP: May 25, 2015
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
My husband just received AOR, still nothing on the e-cas, but we are gathering all documents and hopefully next week we will try and get health coverage for me. I would appreciate if you could check that I'm doing everything in order.
So, I need
- a photocopy of my passport
- a photocopy of a visitor visa
- copy of the AOR
- everything I can print out from e-cas
- receipt of the PR fee
- this form: https://www.health.gov.bc.ca/exforms/msp/102fil.pdf

Then we mail everything for the address given, and that's it?

Netkid

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2014
AOR Received.
21-03-2014; 25-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-04-2014
Med's Request
27-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-02-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
09-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR Arrived 22-05-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
computergeek said:
For anyone that receives coverage via a group (employer or union typically) then you must submit the paperwork to the group administrator and THEY forward it to MSP in Victoria. It takes at least a month for them to even look at paperwork.

Ponga's citation to the regulations is quite valuable: it clearly states that you just need to demonstrate you have applied and the application is "still active". You don't need AIP and you shouldn't accept "no" as an answer from them - there IS an appeals process if you are refused and you will win an appeal.
My HR department acknowledges the exception process, however, they consulted MSP on another case and were declined. So in my situation, they won't process the MSP portion of our application until at least COPR...not a huge deal for us since we can start our employer covered Extended health...and my spouse has private insurance for the time being. What a nuisance...but I'm not going to fight it.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It really is a shame that we have to fight for this, but I did and was successful.

Send everything you have and see what happens. If they deny your application, threaten to write a letter to the Minister of Health.

Bottom line: You do not need CoPR, or AIP to qualify. You only need to prove that your application has been accepted for processing.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Netkid said:
My HR department acknowledges the exception process, however, they consulted MSP on another case and were declined. So in my situation, they won't process the MSP portion of our application until at least COPR...not a huge deal for us since we can start our employer covered Extended health...and my spouse has private insurance for the time being. What a nuisance...but I'm not going to fight it.
By refusing to submit your paperwork, your HR department is essentially not even letting you get into a position to challenge a refusal. That's really unacceptable. I would strongly encourage you to submit the paperwork directly to MSP and advise them that your HR department refused to do so - send a copy of the letter to your HR department. IF MSP still refuses it, appeal the refusal. As Ponga says, the law here in BC is clear but the enforcement of the law is not in conformance.

The more people that beat them, the more likely it is they will clarify the policy and it will help everyone in the future. This can be your positive contribution to the community.

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Anyone know free (or almost free) english courses in the Vancouver area that are available to someone who is not a PR?

I know one program at Surrey Libraries, but it's a little far from me and it's only conversational, not so closly guided by the teacher.
http://www.surreylibraries.ca/programs-services/5349.aspx

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Okay, I'm about to send this (tomorrow or the day after)

Health Insurance BC, Medical Services Plan
PO Box 9690 Stn Prov Govt
Victoria, BC, V8W 9P8

To Whom It May Concern,

I, *Sponsor*, request to add my spouse to my medical plan.

According to the MSP website, “a spouse or a child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active.”

According to the CIC website, the following steps due to happen while the application is in process:
“Status of your application IN PROCESS:
Application Received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
We have received your application and will review it in order of receipt. We will send you an acknowledgement letter.
Documentation Verified by CIC
We are reviewing your application to make sure it is complete and that no documents are missing. We will return incomplete applications for resubmission.
Medical Results Received by CIC
We have received your medical results. We will contact you only if additional tests are needed.”

Please find attached the acknowledgement email from CIC and a print out from the E-CAS that confirm that my application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by CIC on 2014/01/20 on behalf of my spouse. The receiving of her application for permanent residence was confirmed by CIC, thus her application has been accepted for processing and she is eligible for MSP coverage as my spouse.
She currently lives in B.C., Canada, haven’t left the country this year and she is intend to stay the rest of 2014 here and make her home in B.C. In 2013 she resided a whole nine months in B.C. (from *** to ***).

Please feel free to contact me if you need any further information.

Sincerely,
*Sponsor*

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Did you ever receive the letter from CIC, indicating that your application was transferred to Mississauga?

If you did, include a copy, as that letter will show the UCI number for the applicant. You can tell MSP that since the applicant has been assigned a UCI number, that in and of itself confirms that the applicant's portion of the sponsorship application `package' has in fact commenced processing...which seems to be the sticking point for those there that do not fully understand their own policy.

Good luck!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Ponga said:
Did you ever receive the letter from CIC, indicating that your application was transferred to Mississauga?

If you did, include a copy, as that letter will show the UCI number for the applicant. You can tell MSP that since the applicant has been assigned a UCI number, that in and of itself confirms that the applicant's portion of the sponsorship application `package' has in fact commenced processing...which seems to be the sticking point for those there that do not fully understand their own policy.

Good luck!
Unfortunately not:( They simply just sent the email from Mississauga. But I know my UCI# and I can access the e-cas with it, so they will get a print from that as well. Thanks!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s website shows it received the application last summer, and that Ganshorn’s sponsorship is “in process.”

However, it’s a two-step approval — the sponsorship, then the residency. B.C.’s Medical Services Plan requires confirmation that phase two — the residency — is being worked on.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/red-tape-leaves-expectant-b-c-mom-with-no-medicare-1.2638068
Have you seen this? It's anything but reassuring:(

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sophieee said:
Have you seen this? It's anything but reassuring:(
This is simply not true. The BC MSP's own website states that the application only has to have been received by CIC. It does not say that the processing of stage 2 has to have commenced!

sophieee

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 20, 2014
AOR Received.
May 2, 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 10, 2014
Interview........
LANDED..........
Aug 11, 2015
Ponga said:
This is simply not true. The BC MSP's own website states that the application only has to have been received by CIC. It does not say that the processing of stage 2 has to have commenced!
Yeah, I know, and on the radio they even said, that you are eligible for coverage if your PR app is "pending", and according to the radio report it's after DM, before receiving the PR card. I'm really disappointed that they said false information on the radio, it's not helping us at all.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMHO, this was an epic fail by CBC.

Why didn't they mention the information (as it is written) from BC MSP's own website...followed by what determines a person to be a `deemed resident' in BC (from the Medicare Protection Act).

Looks like CBC was sloppy and just threw this story together without doing the proper research.

Joke!

kafka khaos

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The BC Health Minister has said the bureaucrates are wrong. Whether or not he will follow thru on this and make sure they start doing things right is another story. But it is a nice admission for him to make at least.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kafka khaos said:
The BC Health Minister has said the bureaucrates are wrong. Whether or not he will follow thru on this and make sure they start doing things right is another story. But it is a nice admission for him to make at least.
Agreed.