+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bank won't issue a letter with all the info needed for PR Proof of Funds

amydehp

Feb 7, 2023
My bank is very bureaucratic (as is my country in general) and they refuse to print and stamp any format that doesn't already exist on their database, even if it has no false info at all. They have printed a letter containing most of the info required for proof of funds, however it's missing 2 things:

1. The average balance of my account for the past 6 months
  2. The fact that I don't have any credit cards, loans or debts in general
They have said it's impossible for them to print and stamp an approved letter format that I got them from the internet that has all the requirements (seriously -_-) and no info on it is false whatsoever.

I was like, okay, maybe the average balance thing can be bypassed if I explain to the IRCC that I'm having trouble with my bank including it and that I have a bank statement so they can see that my funds have been with me for a while and were obtained organically. However, I fully understand why it's much more difficult to bypass having to prove that I don't have debts. My bank refused to print even a separate letter explaining lack of debts because, I kid you not, "Well, you don't have any credit cards or loans so we can't issue you a debt statement."

I went to a company in my country that belongs to the Central Bank, which can issue you a credit score certificate, and issued one, but it says "no data" because they found no debts on me. I went to my bank and issued as small of a credit card as possible ($200 which I will repay ASAP and my funds easily cover them too) so that my bank can issue me a debt statement.

Does anyone know if issuing a statement of debt containing this one credit card (once it's issued) should work? Is there another way to get my bank to just freaking tell the IRCC I don't have any bigger debts? (the country is Egypt, in case anyone knows if there's a way to do this that works here.)

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
It's very common for banks not wanting to issue a letter in a format requested by IRCC.
My experience with UK banks is that it largely depends who you talk to. I went to the same branch of my bank and first time they told me they cannot issue a letter and the second time they issued exactly the letter I needed and the employee of the bank said it himself that it just depends on the person.

But I couldn't get a letter from my second bank. They could only provide a statement that I've been their client for 9 years and I'm in good standing order. So I submitted this plus 6 months of statements (stamped and signed, not printed online).

Gather whatever you can, as close as possible to IRCC requirements and explain that this is all you could get in your LoE. It should be fine, as IRCC knows that many banks won't issue a letter.

The main thing you need to show is that you have sufficient funds and show statements for this particular account for the last 6 months. All other bank-related information is optional (unless of course you have debt but that's a separate story).

Reactions: amydehp

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
My bank is very bureaucratic (as is my country in general) and they refuse to print and stamp any format that doesn't already exist on their database, even if it has no false info at all. They have printed a letter containing most of the info required for proof of funds, however it's missing 2 things:

They have said it's impossible for them to print and stamp an approved letter format that I got them from the internet that has all the requirements (seriously -_-) and no info on it is false whatsoever.

I was like, okay, maybe the average balance thing can be bypassed if I explain to the IRCC that I'm having trouble with my bank including it and that I have a bank statement so they can see that my funds have been with me for a while and were obtained organically. However, I fully understand why it's much more difficult to bypass having to prove that I don't have debts. My bank refused to print even a separate letter explaining lack of debts because, I kid you not, "Well, you don't have any credit cards or loans so we can't issue you a debt statement."

I went to a company in my country that belongs to the Central Bank, which can issue you a credit score certificate, and issued one, but it says "no data" because they found no debts on me. I went to my bank and issued as small of a credit card as possible ($200 which I will repay ASAP and my funds easily cover them too) so that my bank can issue me a debt statement.

Does anyone know if issuing a statement of debt containing this one credit card (once it's issued) should work? Is there another way to get my bank to just freaking tell the IRCC I don't have any bigger debts? (the country is Egypt, in case anyone knows if there's a way to do this that works here.)
Do you have a passbook or online bank statements. If i were you then I would have printed them and submitted it along a Letter of explanation. So If no data mean no debts then you can mentioned that on your LOE.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada

You can just submit the letter with last 6 months bank statements. I have never seen anyone going through all this hassle to prove they don't have any credit cards, loans or debts. As long as you have enough funds to meet the requirements, you should be good.

Reactions: amydehp and vkamath

Knight_Toto

Sep 19, 2022
Category........
FSW

Going to agree Maverick28 above. You don’t need to go through all the trouble for the debt part. Most banks around the world don’t put stuff like that and the average balance part in their letters.

A signed/stamped letter on the bank’s letterhead containing their contact info and including your basic info, account details, and closing balance is enough + signed/stamped statements from last 6 months.

hhk1

Mar 8, 2023
Hi, it looks like you went through the exact same situation as I did. In Turkey, we were told that banks can only issue a 'no-loan certificate' if someone has paid off their loans, because apparently this is used for legal cases generally. However since we've never taken out a loan, the bank staff has no option in the system to give us this certificate!

They said we can go to Turkey's government portal, where we can get a document from theTurkish Banking Association listing all of our loans and credit cards. Well we got this document and it shows a minor credit card loan (100$ of instalments that we pay off next month), and under 'loans' it says 'none can be listed'. It's in Turkish so we're considering whether we should get it translated and notarized, but since it's not on the Bank's letterhead, and its from this association that IS official but IRCC might not even have heard of it, we're not sure whether its worth the resulting confusion and potential additional requests for verification.

RTAHIR

Star Member
Mar 2, 2017
Turkey
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi, it looks like you went through the exact same situation as I did. In Turkey, we were told that banks can only issue a 'no-loan certificate' if someone has paid off their loans, because apparently this is used for legal cases generally. However since we've never taken out a loan, the bank staff has no option in the system to give us this certificate!

They said we can go to Turkey's government portal, where we can get a document from theTurkish Banking Association listing all of our loans and credit cards. Well we got this document and it shows a minor credit card loan (100$ of instalments that we pay off next month), and under 'loans' it says 'none can be listed'. It's in Turkish so we're considering whether we should get it translated and notarized, but since it's not on the Bank's letterhead, and its from this association that IS official but IRCC might not even have heard of it, we're not sure whether its worth the resulting confusion and potential additional requests for verification.
Hi i am also a foreigner in Turkey and faced a similar situation recently. My bank letter just had the opening date, account number, name and sign. Remainig things like balance, average balance, and loan statement were not provided to me. As bank manager said it can be established from the bank statement. So we provided 6 months bank statement(stamped) along with that letter. I also attached LOE in front of these documents and attached with it.

Bruger18

Apr 11, 2023
I'm having the same issue. But I'm in the UK! I just called the bank again after seeing this post and spoke to someone else, and they explained that banks across the UK no longer provide these details since June 2022 for legal reasons. Has anyone had this too from the UK?

I can only get bank statements!

Any advice?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

1. It is very common. They are going to stick to their format. Get that POF + attach past 6 months of bank statements along with it. That's completely fine.
2. Banks don't say "zero debt", they used banking codes to indicate debt or no debt. I am unsure what they use in Egypt, but ask them where does it say "no debt".

About other stuff:
1. You don't need a credit score certificate. No one's asking for it.
2. Banks will never issue a zero debt certificate. Your POF usually has it. Just doesn't say zero debt.
3. No point in getting credit card debt statement if #2 is satisfied.

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
I'm having the same issue. But I'm in the UK! I just called the bank again after seeing this post and spoke to someone else, and they explained that banks across the UK no longer provide these details since June 2022 for legal reasons. Has anyone had this too from the UK?

I can only get bank statements!

Any advice?
Which bank is it? I was gathering my documents from UK banks in October 2022 so they're bullshitting you.

Barclays provided statements printed in the branch (stamped and signed) and ordered a letter from the head office which stated how long I've been their client and that I'm in good standing.

Lloyds - first I was told that they can't provide anything other than statements. On the second attempt I got the letter exactly in the format requested by IRCC. Lloyds employee literally told me that it all depends on who you talk to - yes, they have certain templates and rules they have to follow but they can also create custom letters etc. if needed.

No experience with other banks but I would expect e.g. Halifax and TSB to be the same as Lloyds as they're a part of the same group.

Bruger18

Apr 11, 2023
Which bank is it? I was gathering my documents from UK banks in October 2022 so they're bullshitting you.

Barclays provided statements printed in the branch (stamped and signed) and ordered a letter from the head office which stated how long I've been their client and that I'm in good standing.

Lloyds - first I was told that they can't provide anything other than statements. On the second attempt I got the letter exactly in the format requested by IRCC. Lloyds employee literally told me that it all depends on who you talk to - yes, they have certain templates and rules they have to follow but they can also create custom letters etc. if needed.

No experience with other banks but I would expect e.g. Halifax and TSB to be the same as Lloyds as they're a part of the same group.
Oh gosh really?! It was first direct, and I spoke to 3 different people. I'll go the HSBC office then and try. Do you need them stamped?
I'm also with Monzo for our joint account which is completely online, and they only provide a letter to state when I opened the account and I can download the statements. So in a bit of a pickle!

AndyUK

Oct 15, 2022
If you're getting statements then yes - they should be stamped. BTW most (if not all) banks will only stamp whatever they print themselves - you cannot bring statements printed at home, even if they're exactly the same.
Provide whatever you can can and then explain it in LoE.

Bruger18

Apr 11, 2023
Hi i am also a foreigner in Turkey and faced a similar situation recently. My bank letter just had the opening date, account number, name and sign. Remainig things like balance, average balance, and loan statement were not provided to me. As bank manager said it can be established from the bank statement. So we provided 6 months bank statement(stamped) along with that letter. I also attached LOE in front of these documents and attached with it.
Hello! What details did you include in the LOE?
I spoke to my bank again and they are adamant that they cannot provide the letter for GDPR reasons and I can only get the statements. It looks like your application one through fine without the letter.

shinegirl1593

Star Member
Feb 25, 2021
Hello,

I recently obtained stamped and signed bank statements for the past six months, as well as a Signed Proof of Funds Letter, from my bank. However, the bank declined to include statements like "No credit card debts or loans" in the Proof of Funds Letter due to legal restrictions. It's worth noting that I don't have any credit cards issued by the bank or any loans.

Instead, the letter states that my account is active and in good standing. My concern is whether the absence of the "no credit card debts or loans" statement in the letter could pose a problem. Can anyone help me clear my doubt? I would appreciate it.

Thank you in advance :)