+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bank Teller Career Progression

simonvee

Jul 13, 2009
Does anyone know, in general, the career progression of a bank teller in Canada? Of course all employers are different and all employees are different and what not, but I just need to gain a vague understanding or the possibilities out there so as to speak. Does anyone know of anyone who is a bank teller, if so, what position did they occupy after that? Thanks in advance for stories and feedback.

Resumeshop

Dec 1, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know of people who have begun their banking careers as tellers and as call centre representatives. As you say, all career paths are different, but I know of people who went from the call centre into sales and tellers who later moved on to positions as mortgage and personal banking representatives. Working for a bank in Canada is really a good move because you will have a lot of opportunity for advancement as well as the flexibility to take a position anywhere in the country.

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if you have any experience in mortgage or personal lending, investments (stocks, bonds, Canadian RRSP's) I would also look at seeing if you could take any virtual courses in these areas (if they are of interest, or your target market). If you can do this prior to landing that would also give you a heads start to understanding the Canadian Banking industry.

Whatever industry you target, it's critical to know who are the key competitors, primary services, or products they sale/produce. A common interview question is "What do you know about us?", or "What do you know about our industry?" or "What are your thoughts on the trends in this industry?"

Once again, researching your target market/industry is very important.

R

rishabshanker

@Canadian Career Coach

I am a IT professional who has 10+ years of work experience in IT Infrastructure Project Management & IT Service Management. I also hold the PMP and ITIL v3 certifications. I am immigrating in March 2011. I would like to understand the job market in Canada, specifically Toronto and also explore any relevant opportunities which suit my profile.

I would be grateful if you could provde some inputs on the below

1. How does a newcomer like me go about job hunting as soon as he lands.
2. Are there any specific certifications required for the IT field (govt certs or university courses) other than the ones I already hold
3. My university degree is in the field of business studies, however I have worked in the IT field all my life, would that be an issue?
4. If I were to apply to banks in Canada for IT jobs, would I still require Banking related certifications such as CSC?
5. What is the approximate starting salary I can expect?

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Cheers,
Rishab

Cdn28

Star Member
Dec 20, 2010
There are soooo many strategies for job hunting once you reach Canada. Without repeating what many great people have said before. It's important to get yourself connected with both face-to-face networking/job clubs and build your online networking presence.

many peoples degrees are not directly related to their current line of work/career - so this shouldn't be a problem.

if you aren't personally going to be handling securities etc, you won't need a CSC -- it may be seen as an added bonus on your resume, but won't be mandatory in an IT position. Your IT skills, and credentials will be more important.

Starting salaries are all over the place and many other forum writers have commented that unfortunately you have to start in a lower job to get that initial Canadian experience.

I would try some salary surveys like this one to get an idea of what you're worth in this market.

http://www.workopolis.com/work.aspx?action=Transfer&View=Content/Common/ResourceCentre/RCSalaryGuideView&lang=EN&theme=work