+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Background check

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
2 questions:
1. What is checked in the 'background check'?
2. My husband would like to wait in Canada with me for his PR to get approved. Does he have to stay registered in his country now (the Netherlands) or can he inform the municipality that he is moving? Or would this have consequences for the background check?

Juche

Star Member
May 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-10-2009
AOR Received.
17-11-2009
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
15-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
18-01-2010
the background check seems to pertain to police certificates "guaranteeing" that you have never been convicted of a crime within their jurisdiction. They are certificates that show you have a clean record with the police (never arrested, etc). And I think you need one for every place you have ever lived over 6 months since your 18th birthday...

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A background check is NOT just a matter of reviewing your police record. (And BTW, police do not "guarantee" that you have not committed a crime -- only that there is no record of you committing a crime. A subtle difference but still, an important distinction.)

During the background check, they will review the info. that you submitted about your work, where you've lived, gone to school etc. If they have any doubts about the info., they will contact the organizations in question to verify its accuracy. A security background check is also done in conjunction with the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS). Since CIC needs to confer with other governments, it may take several months for the completion of the background checks.

These checks are used to identify criminals and known security threats (espionage, subversion or terrorism). This is done for every country in which you've lived. They will check things like what organizations you've belonged to, whether you've belonged to the military and any other info. they deem necessary to determine the likeliness that the applicant is a threat to Canadian security.

Since your husband is from a visa-exempt country, he could come here while his PR application is in process. He doesn't have to stay in his country while the background check is in process. However, if they ask him to come to an interview, he would have to return for that.

lilacsouls

Nov 2, 2009
After the background check is done, they will ask right of permanent residence fee?? Or the fee will be asked at the same time? Any advice? Thank you

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
thanks guys, for the information.

About him staying in Canada, I realise he can be in Canada during the waiting period. The question is actually whether he should officially leave the Netherlands, or if he should maintain his official residence here. In NL you are an official resident of a municipality. All government agencies are connected, so if he would leave the municipality, the revenue agency, his health care provider, etc. etc. would immediately know. I'm wondering, if Berlin would start looking into his background, and then realise that he's 'moved' already, if this could be a problem.
I hope this makes sense?!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
there will not be any problem as he will be as a visitor in Canada - that's frequently happens while application is in process

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
ariell said:
A background check is NOT just a matter of reviewing your police record. (And BTW, police do not "guarantee" that you have not committed a crime -- only that there is no record of you committing a crime. A subtle difference but still, an important distinction.)

During the background check, they will review the info. that you submitted about your work, where you've lived, gone to school etc. If they have any doubts about the info., they will contact the organizations in question to verify its accuracy. A security background check is also done in conjunction with the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS). Since CIC needs to confer with other governments, it may take several months for the completion of the background checks.

These checks are used to identify criminals and known security threats (espionage, subversion or terrorism). This is done for every country in which you've lived. They will check things like what organizations you've belonged to, whether you've belonged to the military and any other info. they deem necessary to determine the likeliness that the applicant is a threat to Canadian security.

Since your husband is from a visa-exempt country, he could come here while his PR application is in process. He doesn't have to stay in his country while the background check is in process. However, if they ask him to come to an interview, he would have to return for that.
will they actually contact any country the sponsored person lived? even a day or a week?

amsyul

Oct 14, 2009
ange said:
thanks guys, for the information.

About him staying in Canada, I realise he can be in Canada during the waiting period. The question is actually whether he should officially leave the Netherlands, or if he should maintain his official residence here. In NL you are an official resident of a municipality. All government agencies are connected, so if he would leave the municipality, the revenue agency, his health care provider, etc. etc. would immediately know. I'm wondering, if Berlin would start looking into his background, and then realise that he's 'moved' already, if this could be a problem.
I hope this makes sense?!
I'd be surprised if there would be a problem. He'll need to say which country he is emigrating too but it would be the same if he had a temporary work permit or would be coming to Canada on an extended visit without PR in progress -- then he could also give up official Dutch residency. He will be someone without a permanent residency (in the literal sense of the word, ie. "vaste verblijfsplaats") but even in the unlikely case that a Canadian border official refuses him at the airport and he gets send back he'll still have Dutch nationality so can stay where he likes in the EU.

I am actually a Dutch citizen myself with PR in progress (as you know from trackitt) but moved from NL to the UK in 1998 to study there, and moved to other countries after, now on a work permit in Canada. My Dutch record ("uittreksel uit het bevolkingsregister") which I needed last year to extend my Dutch driver's license (which I could then use to get a Quebec license) said that I emigrated to the UK in '98.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suin said:
will they actually contact any country the sponsored person lived? even a day or a week?
Staying in a country for a day or a week is not considered living there. They check countries where you have lived for 6 months or more, although if someone had some sort of unusual travel history, who knows, they might investigate shorter periods of time as well.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
ariell said:
Staying in a country for a day or a week is not considered living there. They check countries where you have lived for 6 months or more, although if someone had some sort of unusual travel history, who knows, they might investigate shorter periods of time as well.
thank you for your reply, Ariell. please do explain what do you mean by unusual travel history? and whther 3 months can be considered as living too?

Reactions: habartani

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Thanks amsyul.
So its up to him whether his 'unregisters' (uitschijven) or not. If he stays registered, he keeps his health insurance. Interesting to know that you are officially 'uitgeschreven' though.

Reactions: habartani