Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I need to know soon, please, whether to get new photos or use the ones I already have.

On the back of the existing photos, I wrote (1) the date the photo was taken, (2) name, and (3) date of birth. What I failed to notice in the instrutions was that this information was to be written on one "and only one" photo, not all.

Is this going to be a problem -- should I get new photos?

Second point: whatever hapened to the days of freedom, when (for example) US draft dodgers could waltz over the border and eventually become citizens without the burden of providing a mountain of documents? The process for immigrants to legally settle in Canada today seems immeasurably more complicated. Is this progress?

JamesM

Star Member
Feb 4, 2009
Job Offer........
After months of preparation, I don't know how in the world I missed the part where it told us to write our information on the back of one of the photos. I really hope it isn't that big of a deal.

toby, my situation may be an issue but I sincerely doubt writing info on all of the photos will result in a request to have them redone. There have been a few people who also mentioned they didn't write their info on the back and nothing happened.

diddagirl

Star Member
Aug 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JamesM said:
After months of preparation, I don't know how in the world I missed the part where it told us to write our information on the back of one of the photos. I really hope it isn't that big of a deal.

toby, my situation may be an issue but I sincerely doubt writing info on all of the photos will result in a request to have them redone. There have been a few people who also mentioned they didn't write their info on the back and nothing happened.
James- I totally fudged and missed that too... just found out last night and panicked but several other posters reassured that it *should* be ok- especially if there is just one applicant...

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
as for us - we wrote this info on each photo of 8 we sent

ange

Star Member
Jan 8, 2009
Hey Toby,
Maybe there have been easier times, but immigrating has always been a crazy process. When my father immigrated in the 1950s he was only allowed to take 50 gulders with him. The rest of his money he had to leave. He just spent all the money on clothes, linens, etc. and packed 2 huge trunks. By the way, travelling on a ship may have been long but at least you got to take more luggage with ;)

The spousal sponsorship in the 80s was dfferent: You would go to an immigration officer and they would ask you questions about your spouse/fiance. Apparently these questions sometimes were quite detailed! The whole process was very nerve racking. On the other hand, it probably didn't take a year to finalize! And they said that computers would make our life go faster....

lesintheuk

Jan 9, 2009
toby said:
Second point: whatever hapened to the days of freedom, when (for example) US draft dodgers could waltz over the border and eventually become citizens without the burden of providing a mountain of documents? The process for immigrants to legally settle in Canada today seems immeasurably more complicated. Is this progress?
I don't necessarily think that draft dodgers had an easy time becoming Canadian citizens, but they were not forcibly returned back to the US. Canada had a policy of admitting these 'conscientous objectors' as something between refugees and immigrants. During the Iraq war, Canada enacted a similar policy (although they did try to force some COs home, since they were not dodging the 'draft', as it were. I recall one bloke specifically in BC who fought his return order, non?). The thing about admitting the draft dodgers is that many of them were well-educated, middle-class young men, Canada saw this influx very favourably - according to Wikipedia this was the largest, best-educated group Canada had ever received, why would they not let them stay, eh?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lesintheuk said:
toby said:
I don't necessarily think that draft dodgers had an easy time becoming Canadian citizens, but they were not forcibly returned back to the US. Canada had a policy of admitting these 'conscientous objectors' as something between refugees and immigrants. During the Iraq war, Canada enacted a similar policy (although they did try to force some COs home, since they were not dodging the 'draft', as it were. I recall one bloke specifically in BC who fought his return order, non?). The thing about admitting the draft dodgers is that many of them were well-educated, middle-class young men, Canada saw this influx very favourably - according to Wikipedia this was the largest, best-educated group Canada had ever received, why would they not let them stay, eh?
You should realize that up to 1972 you could apply for PR on entry to Canada as well as apply PR status in Canada as an "independent". The criteria was pretty lax.

PMM