+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby in Canada on TRP - now what is the next step to get PR?

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
Story so far:

I along with my wife became Permenant Residents of Canada in June of 2008. After landing I got offered a placement with a Canadian company in Dubai, so I shifted to Dubai. In November 2008 I had a baby girl who was born in Dubai. In Oct 2009 I found out that my company would not be renewing my contract in the coming March and that I had to look for other opportunities. Finding nothing suitable in the region my wife and I decided to relocate back to Canada along with our daughter.

After researching and getting information from the internet about other people in similar position we began the process for Temporary Resident Permit with the Abu Dhabi office. We attached a covering letter and documents with our application and the staff at Abu Dhabi were very helpful replying to our emails and explaning how to go about getting the TRP. The TRP came through smoothly with no issues about 4-5 weeks later. I delayed the stamping of the TRP as we had planned to travel in March (I had to contractually be there until then). Abu Dhabi office granted us an extension on teh TRP stamping.

Once everything got stamped we came back to Canada. At the airport we got sent to the immigration area to get the actual Paper which is the permit to stay in Canada. The officer was a racist prick and asked absolutely asinine questions trying to flex his muscles. Anyway I answered as politely and honestly as possible and received the TRP paper. It is valid with March 2011.

Spoke to CIC Callcenter once in Canada to two different agents. Explained my situation to both of them very clearly about my daughter being in Canada and wanting to initiate the sponsorship without leaving the country. They both told me to send an application for sponsorship to Mississauga. I filled in the paperwork and sent in the application to Mississauga - it was received by 29th March.

1st June 2010 - got a call from an officer at Mississauga. She says she can process the application there but only as an overseas application. So she was asking which overseas office the application should be sent to. I told her I want it processed in Canada. She says it should be sent to Alberta. She has absolutely no information aside from this as she only handled applications for sponsorship outside of Canada.

So now I am thoroughly confused and have no idea what to do next. Should I send an application to Alberta? If so, then what sort of application am I supposed to sent to Alberta?

OR Humanitarian and Compasionate? Sponsorpship application for dependant children ? Although these applications clearly say they are to be sent to Mississauga.

I appreciate the input and help from anyone who has managed to get through the process. Any advise is helpful!

I

iarblue

You are looking to do an inland app for sponsoring your child correct.Al inland apps go to vergiville.But are you trying to sponsor her on humanitarian or just asking if you should?

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
iarblue said:
You are looking to do an inland app for sponsoring your child correct.Al inland apps go to vergiville.But are you trying to sponsor her on humanitarian or just asking if you should?
Correct - I am trying to do an inland application. I am not sure what kind to do as there doesn't seem to be an inland application for a dependant child.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tstarks said:
Correct - I am trying to do an inland application. I am not sure what kind to do as there doesn't seem to be an inland application for a dependant child.
You can't do an "inland" application, as the only ones are for spousal (ignoring refugee, H.& C. and LCPs) you complete the sponsorship and application send it to Mississauga, and select Buffalo as the processing office, I am assuming the child got a 1 year TRP.

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
PMM said:
Hi

You can't do an "inland" application, as the only ones are for spousal (ignoring refugee, H.& C. and LCPs) you complete the sponsorship and application send it to Mississauga, and select Buffalo as the processing office, I am assuming the child got a 1 year TRP.
Hello. Thanks for the reply.

Yes the child has a 1 year TRP valid until MAR 2011. If I apply to Bufallo how are we supposed to travel to Buffalo for the visa stamping?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tstarks said:
Hello. Thanks for the reply.

Yes the child has a 1 year TRP valid until MAR 2011. If I apply to Bufallo how are we supposed to travel to Buffalo for the visa stamping?
No, you mail your passport for the visa when it is requested.

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
PMM said:
Hi

No, you mail your passport for the visa when it is requested.
Once again thank you for the reply.

So I am confused here - do you mean that I have to use the "Application to sponsor a member of the family class" and send it to Mississauga? This is confusing because it clearly states on CIC website that this application is for, "If your spouse, partner or dependent child lives abroad, use the Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class." So will they accept the application even if the Child is NOT actually ABROAD but in Canada?

Thank you very much for your reply.

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
Hello Appreciate any replies.

Please help guys this is really stressing us out.

Thank you!

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
Hello please note that the information provided in this thread is incorrect.

CIC will not process application for sponsorship sent to visa office outside of Canada if your child is in Canada on TRP.

I have been running around in circles for the last six months and finally got a call center employee who made the effort to research this in detail before telling me what action to take.

The application MUST be submitted on H&C grounds to Alberta. Sponsorship applications will get rejected and will mean you probably end up wasting 4-6 months just like I did (waiting time as your application is sent from one visa office to another!).

So anyone who reads this thread, please follow the advise of initiating H&C application to Alberta office for your dependant child on TRP, who is already in Canada.

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
PMM said:
Hi

Hello PMM - for future reference please note that this advice is wrong. Please review my post above for H&C ground application.

matthewc

Jan 18, 2010
Grimsby, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland (CPC-Vegreville)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
tstarks said:
The application MUST be submitted on H&C grounds to Alberta. Sponsorship applications will get rejected and will mean you probably end up wasting 4-6 months just like I did (waiting time as your application is sent from one visa office to another!).
No, that's not the case. You can always sponsor a dependent and have the application processed outside Canada in the office responsible for their country of citizenship. Even if they are inside Canada.

If legally admitted to Canada for a year or more, the application can optionally be processed in Buffalo (even if the sponsored person is not a US citizen) but you always have the choice of having it processed in the visa office responsible for the country of citizenship.

What actually happened with your sponsorship application. Why did they refuse it (what did they write in the letter)?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tstarks said:
Hello please note that the information provided in this thread is incorrect.

CIC will not process application for sponsorship sent to visa office outside of Canada if your child is in Canada on TRP.

I have been running around in circles for the last six months and finally got a call center employee who made the effort to research this in detail before telling me what action to take.

So anyone who reads this thread, please follow the advise of initiating H&C application to Alberta office for your dependant child on TRP, who is already in Canada.
PMM, and matthewc are RIGHT. The Call centre clerk should be fired. I don't think he applied yet matthewc.

You probably confused the clerk with semantics. TR"P"s are usually issued if someone is inadmissible to Canada but has compelling reasons and CIC decides to allow the person to enter. Your child probably has a TR"V". I can only imagine what this uninformed clerk thought your baby was up to! Anyway, the process for sponsoring dependent children is very clear and straightforward. You can send the application to Mississaug and request Buffalo or Abu Dhabi as your processing office. Your choice. But an H&C application is the WRONG choice unless your child is inadmissible for some reason.

adzees

Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, AB
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Doc's Request.
July 2015
Nomination.....
October 2015
AOR Received.
February 2016
File Transfer...
July 2016
Med's Request
July 2016
Med's Done....
August 2016
yup OP make sure you have TRV or TRP.... You can go to your local CIC office with your baby's paper and consult with them. They can tell you by looking at it.

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
Guys I appreciate your inputs but there has already been a case with another user on this forum (Martha Marita) who has been through the exact same procedure (TRP then H&C) as I have highlighted.

With regards to the question of what document I have please note the following:
1. The document issued in Abu Dhabi is labelled as follows under the Category field: PA-1 TRP Travel Doc
2. The paper which I received from CIC upon entering Canada is also labelled as Temporary Resident Permit. Case type 89

I think it is clear cut this is TRP and and NOT TRV.

I think most people in this thread have probably not been through the exact case as I have highlighted as it is rare and there is hardly any documentation on the internet highlighting such case (ie Baby born outside to PR holders. Baby comes back on single entry TRP visa. Baby has PR card application processed while in Canada).

Please correct me if I am wrong in my assumptions.

tstarks

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2010
Doc's Request.
30-11-2010
File Transfer...
16-01-2011
Interview........
10-12-2012
matthewc said:
No, that's not the case. You can always sponsor a dependent and have the application processed outside Canada in the office responsible for their country of citizenship. Even if they are inside Canada.

If legally admitted to Canada for a year or more, the application can optionally be processed in Buffalo (even if the sponsored person is not a US citizen) but you always have the choice of having it processed in the visa office responsible for the country of citizenship.

What actually happened with your sponsorship application. Why did they refuse it (what did they write in the letter)?
Hello Mathew. The application was not refused yet. It was sent to CIC-Mississauga on June 23rd.

23rd July - CIC Mississauga acknowledge the receipt and congratulate me for meeting all sponsorship requirements. They further advise that they will further the application on to Buffalo.

26th July - CIC Mississauga issue revised correspondence which supersedes correspondence of 23rd July - in it they mention as follows:
"This office only processes sponsorship applications for permanent resident applicants that will be finalized by visa offices abroad. Therefore, as a courtesy, we have redirected your documentation to the CPC in Vegreville, Alberta. Immigration officials from that office will contact you in writing as appropriate with respect to this submission."

I called CIC yesterday as I had not heard anything back since that letter. There the call center employee informed that 99% CPC Alberta will reject and send the application back to me (same as what was mentioned by Martha). Due to delay in processing times they have not gotten around to my application hence I have not heard from them yet.

He said that this application must be submitted on H&C ground (again same as Martha) along with covering letter explaining that my child was issued TRP to travel to Canada.

I hope this is clear.