+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Baby born outside of Canada

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
Hi,
Does anyone have answer to this question please?
I am a Canadian and wife is pregnant and she lives outside of Canada and she is neither a PR or Canadian.
If she gives birth outside of Canada, does this mean my child is automatically a Canadian citizen?

Thanks in advance!
Yes he/she will be Canadian Citizen take his Birth certificate to the nearest Canadian High commission and also don't forget to apply for your spousal visa.

Nov 16, 2010
Hi,
Does anyone have answer to this question please?
I am a Canadian and wife is pregnant and she lives outside of Canada and she is neither a PR or Canadian.
If she gives birth outside of Canada, does this mean my child is automatically a Canadian citizen?

Thanks in advance!
Your child won’t be Canadian citizen if he/she born out of Canada. You need to apply for PR for Canada from the country of born. Then your child get PR

PositiveEnergy

Aug 3, 2019

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your child won’t be Canadian citizen if he/she born out of Canada. You need to apply for PR for Canada from the country of born. Then your child get PR
This is incorrect. If OP is Canadian by birth or obtained Canadian citizenship through naturalization, then the baby born outside of Canada will be a Canadian citizen at birth.

PositiveEnergy

Aug 3, 2019
This is incorrect. If OP is Canadian by birth or obtained Canadian citizenship through naturalization, then the baby born outside of Canada will be a Canadian citizen at birth.
As they said, I only have to put in an application for my child to become a Canadian citizen. He won’t be automatically a Canadian citizen upon delivery but I have to apply for it since I am a Canadian

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I'm aware of all that. A Canadian consulate is not a restaurant and I certainly treated the staff there with respect, but THEY were downright rude to me during the process. They seemed convinced that I - born and raised in Canada - was trying to pull some kind of scam.

I've found over my years of traveling that some Canadian embassies/ consulates treat travellers with dignity, and others seem determined to make inquisitive Canadian visitors go away.

to be precise: one of the most helpful embassies, Cuba

One of the worst, Peru

very nice but confused, Tunisia

But all are generalizations. Past performance does not indicate future results
Cic agents are not to be pitied, and they are not '' white as snow '' (I translated the proverb word by word from French, I don't know if it is said in English? ...It does that mean they have nothing to reproach themselves with?), there have been precedents or cases of systemic discriminatory and racist practices have been documented... One example among many others:

https://newcanadianmedia.ca/racism-bias-plaguing-canadas-immigration-processing-system/

https://www.immigration.ca/canada-admits-racism-in-its-immigration-system-vows-to-do-better-by-african-international-students/

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1925267/racisme-immigration-canada-etudiants-etrangers-gouvernement

Not to mention, of course, the huge backlog they created by abusing the code 699, to take advantage of holidays with sales, at the expense of honest workers and tax payers, on the pretext of covid... ( Citizenship ceremonies in person are still not restarted on this date!!!!).

They are not blameless people with high values, not at all.

Ultimately, CIC officers are human like any other, and can make mistakes... And can even be subject to administrative corrective measures after investigation if a failure is detected, reprimand by the hierarchy, and even dismissal if a fault serious ... Not to mention that an agent can be rectified by name by a judge of the federal court, and that this judge annuls the decision of an agent, and refers the case for examination by a differently constituted panel (which means say = other agent).

My modest opinion is that we must take on peoples like the French, for example, who culturally are very grumbling, and complain and revolt constantly.

There are no second-class Canadians.

I encourage people who have received behaviors or services that lack quality, politeness, and dignity towards them, like the story described by our friend @Kiva667 , do not keep quiet, and report the incidents with the most details. ... To the local press, even the state press, which is very receptive to this kind of subject (CBC, and Radio-Canada for the French-speaking sanction ... There are specific forms to tell them a story ) .

It is a scandal that an embassy of OUR COUNTRY serves us differently because we are naturalized Canadians, or of ethnic origin other than Caucasian... We must denounce this as much as possible so that the racist agents think twice before making the same thing !

Canada is a civilized and democratic country, not an African or Eastern European banana republic: Diplomats and consular agents are at our service, with our tax money: They must provide us with services, and even consular protection in the event of a problem abroad!

, Piotr.
We are talking about frontline staff in consulate and embassies across the world not IRCC workers in Canada. In general they are taught to question things because they do deal with a lot of the same issues, quite a lot of people arriving misinformed or people lying and submitting fraudulent papers. Warning someone that if their child has a child abroad then their children will not receive citizenship is actually very good information and is likely done because many are shocked when they discover this after giving birth or when the child goes on to have their own children abroad. There have likely been many families who have arrived to apply for citizenship for their child only to discover that they are not a citizen. The reactions of the families are often not very pleasant. There is no second class Canadians but many expect to pass down Canadian citizenship for generations without ever living in Canada which most Canadians would consider unfair. I can also imagine there also would be frustration if you see situations like families who only return to Canada to have children and then return abroad especially if the family has never worked or lived in Canada permanently. Most likely don’t qualify for free healthcare but provincial governments are usually slow to react or don’t react to those who abuse the provincial healthcare system. The same can be said when embassy staff are shown documents showing that people continue to receive benefits from Canada for years when they are not entitled to them due to CRA incompetence. Know many staff working at embassies and consulates abroad and they do experience a lot of abuse and threatening behaviour. When dealing with the public staff is usually taught be professional but not show any emotion that could be misinterpreted. It is the same as dealing with CBSA staff at the airport. Staff are also
human and may be dealing with other serious personal or professional issues that day or may just be having a bad day. Not sure why you think the media needs to be alerted about
It this issue.

piotrqc

Aug 10, 2020
We are talking about frontline staff in consulate and embassies across the world not IRCC workers in Canada. In general they are taught to question things because they do deal with a lot of the same issues, quite a lot of people arriving misinformed or people lying and submitting fraudulent papers. Warning someone that if their child has a child abroad then their children will not receive citizenship is actually very good information and is likely done because many are shocked when they discover this after giving birth or when the child goes on to have their own children abroad. There have likely been many families who have arrived to apply for citizenship for their child only to discover that they are not a citizen. The reactions of the families are often not very pleasant. There is no second class Canadians but many expect to pass down Canadian citizenship for generations without ever living in Canada which most Canadians would consider unfair. I can also imagine there also would be frustration if you see situations like families who only return to Canada to have children and then return abroad especially if the family has never worked or lived in Canada permanently. Most likely don’t qualify for free healthcare but provincial governments are usually slow to react or don’t react to those who abuse the provincial healthcare system. The same can be said when embassy staff are shown documents showing that people continue to receive benefits from Canada for years when they are not entitled to them due to CRA incompetence. Know many staff working at embassies and consulates abroad and they do experience a lot of abuse and threatening behaviour. When dealing with the public staff is usually taught be professional but not show any emotion that could be misinterpreted. It is the same as dealing with CBSA staff at the airport. Staff are also
human and may be dealing with other serious personal or professional issues that day or may just be having a bad day. Not sure why you think the media needs to be alerted about
It this issue.

The situation reported by one of the participants of this thread is simply UNACCEPTABLE. We must, I think, learn from civilized and protesting peoples who always claim their rights, and above all to be treated with dignity, like the French people I cited as an example. It is a deeply cultural question. No, it's not ''just ok'' to just receive the service in the end, the way you received it matters too, and the respect owed to us as tax payers and citizens.

I remind you that these consular agents or diplomats in Canadian representations abroad are above all federal public servants, serving Canadians expatriates or traveling abroad. And their wages are collected thanks to the taxes of the honest workers. They work for us, that's the perception we should have, my opinion.

Here is again the testimony of the person as reported:

Good information. Back when I got citizenship for my son, they told me he could not pass it on to his future children if they were born outside Canada. And they wanted to make sure I was born in Canada. I even had to show my own birth certificate.

The consulate in question was very unfriendly and... it took a year and a half (!) to actually get my son's certificate of citizenship delivered to me. Seriously bad service.

And sorry to play the devil's advocate but I have seen incorrect information on Canadian government web sites before.

Good luck!

Maybe, for you, the media should not be alerted to ''by much'', and that treating some citizens as second-class citizens because of their origins, for example, is acceptable, or ' 'just ok, the service was given at the end btw', this is your problem to see it that way.

Others see it as discrimination.

The treatment should be the same, fair, equitable, and exactly the same with exactly the same deadlines, whether the citizen receiving the service is Caucasian, South East Asian, African, or Caribbean, it doesn't matter.

Freedom of the press is still guaranteed in Canada, thank God, and the media are free. Everyone has the right to contact them when they feel it is necessary (same thing for contacting their federal or provincial deputy, or associations or NGOs, defense groups, a lawyer, or anyone else) .

Tee Cabarete

Apr 17, 2024
Hi...I have a question about citizenship for my daughter. I am a Canadian citizen that was born in Canada. I live outside Canada with my family and I have a 21 year old daughter, although she is not my biological daughter, that was born outside of Canada. I am her legal father as my name is on her birth certificate as the father and I am married to her biological mother. Can she apply to become a Canadian citizen due to the fact that I am her legal father? I know that this is a difficult question to answer, but what are the chances of her application being approved based on me being her legal father? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi...I have a question about citizenship for my daughter. I am a Canadian citizen that was born in Canada. I live outside Canada with my family and I have a 21 year old daughter, although she is not my biological daughter, that was born outside of Canada. I am her legal father as my name is on her birth certificate as the father and I am married to her biological mother. Can she apply to become a Canadian citizen due to the fact that I am her legal father? I know that this is a difficult question to answer, but what are the chances of her application being approved based on me being her legal father? Any help or advice is much appreciated.
Did you ever legally adopt her? I would recommend you speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer.

Tee Cabarete

Apr 17, 2024
Did you ever legally adopt her? I would recommend you speak with a Canadian immigration lawyer.
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I legally adopted her but in the country we live, not in Canada. I think that the fact that I am her legal father and my name is on her birth certificate should actually carry more weight

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I legally adopted her but in the country we live, not in Canada. I think that the fact that I am her legal father and my name is on her birth certificate should actually carry more weight
Then she should be good to go provided you legally adopted her before the age of 18. Follow the instructions on the IRCC site to apply. The adoption does not need to have occurred in Canada.

Tee Cabarete

Apr 17, 2024
Then she should be good to go provided you legally adopted her before the age of 18. Follow the instructions on the IRCC site to apply. The adoption does not need to have occurred in Canada.
Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond my control, I could not adopt her until last year when she was 20. Without going into too much info, the biological father had an accident whilst my wife was pregnant and the death certificate was not registered properly. As there was no record of the death in the system, I could not legally adopt my daughter. It was only last year that a family member of the biological father that had moved to US actually found the death certificate! Once this was found I completed the adoption process and we got approved quite fast due to the circumstances and the fact that I have been with her since she was a baby. It really has been a nightmare but at least that is over now...but of course now I have everything completed I want to apply for her citizenship.