17-11-2014
AOR Received.
07-02-2015
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Hey guys,

ive searched high and low on this forum but couldn't find any recent situations related to mine but i do apologise in advance for asking any dumb questions!

i've been living and working in Canada since late 2010 under the international experience/working holiday visa program for Australians. I successfully applied for my second 2 year visa and it will expire in november 2014. A while ago some friends i met over here who are also Australians informed me that there had been some changes to our eligibility requirements and when i looked on the official canadian govt website it said we could only stay in Canada for 4 consecutive years under this program before we had to return home for 2 years and then we could reapply if we were still under 30 years old. I now feel like im a crazy person because i cant find anything to do with that and all i see is that i do meet all the requirements currently stated on the visa website. i guess what im asking is this.. can i apply for a 3rd time without leaving canada? has that restriction been lifted (or did i somehow make it up?!)??

also it appears there is now a quota for how many visas are handed out which seems new as there was no limit when i applied last time, only 3110 spots left as of today. i have about 6 weeks until i can actually submit my application so im praying that theres still spots available when they finally get around to looking at my application! (if i can indeed apply?!) yikes!

any help would be great! thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shan4HB said:
Hey guys,

ive searched high and low on this forum but couldn't find any recent situations related to mine but i do apologise in advance for asking any dumb questions!

i've been living and working in Canada since late 2010 under the international experience/working holiday visa program for Australians. I successfully applied for my second 2 year visa and it will expire in november 2014. A while ago some friends i met over here who are also Australians informed me that there had been some changes to our eligibility requirements and when i looked on the official canadian govt website it said we could only stay in Canada for 4 consecutive years under this program before we had to return home for 2 years and then we could reapply if we were still under 30 years old. I now feel like im a crazy person because i cant find anything to do with that and all i see is that i do meet all the requirements currently stated on the visa website. i guess what im asking is this.. can i apply for a 3rd time without leaving canada? has that restriction been lifted (or did i somehow make it up?!)??

also it appears there is now a quota for how many visas are handed out which seems new as there was no limit when i applied last time, only 3110 spots left as of today. i have about 6 weeks until i can actually submit my application so im praying that theres still spots available when they finally get around to looking at my application! (if i can indeed apply?!) yikes!

any help would be great! thanks!
Your friends appear to not know what they are talking about. Check the "Horse's mouth" FAQ http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/experience_canada_experience/index.aspx

shan4HB

Jul 15, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
AOR Received.
07-02-2015
File Transfer...
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
05-11-2014
Thanks, I read that page about 20 times yesterday as well as their FAQ for Australians (which seems to have some conflicting information about whether there is a quota or not and also how long your LOI is valid for but I guess I'll just follow the info on the first page) so I think I'm good to go! Fingers crossed!

hayleyj88

Feb 8, 2015
Hi,

I'm also on my second 2 year visa, did you find out if the 4 year maximum rule applied to Australians applying for a 3rd IEC visa?
Thanks for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hayleyj88 said:
Hi,

I'm also on my second 2 year visa, did you find out if the 4 year maximum rule applied to Australians applying for a 3rd IEC visa?
Thanks for your help!
You need to check out the new rules effective this year. Australians can now participate a maximum of two times and no more than once under a specific program:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/experience/bilat.asp

Fenster

Star Member
Dec 24, 2010
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2011
File Transfer...
04-04-12
Med's Request
Oct 2011
Med's Done....
Oct 2011
Passport Req..
27-08-12
scylla said:
You need to check out the new rules effective this year. Australians can now participate a maximum of two times and no more than once under a specific program:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/experience/bilat.asp
So does this now mean that an Australian can only get one 2 year WHV?

Can someone explain to me what happens then to an Australian on their first WHV which is due to expire soon? Rather than reapply for a new visa which they would previously have been entitled to, they now have to leave the country?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One option would be for their employer to obtain an approved LMIA so that they can then apply for a closed work permit.

If they are OK not working, they could also convert their status to student and remain in Canada for another few months to travel / visit with friends.

Jimjo

Oct 16, 2013
What about the part where it says "If you participated in IEC before 2015, you are eligible for a final participation of up to 24 months in the category of your choice."?