+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Australia to Canada - Options

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
Hello, new to the forum :)

Myself 31 and my wife 27 are both living and working in Australia (Citizens) we would like to work and live over in Canada (Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto)

Im in IT with 4yrs experience along with 9yrs experience in Retail (management to shit kicker jobs), my wife is in the Finance - Credit with over 8yrs experience.

OUR OPTIONS:

IEC WHV - i have applied and was approved but due to family reasons i will not b be able to leave by the due date (as shame i cant extend while its still current), my wife on the other hand can apply for this but doesnt want to travel without me.

Visitor Visa - I was thinking that perhaps if my wife did do the IEC WHV then i could accompany her if i was on a 6mth visitor visa and extend each time but while reading other people refussed visitor visa applications im kinda thinking this is not a good idea.

However an information via email from IEC mentioned this which might give me a ray of hope - "On arrival at the Canadian port of entry, a person accompanying their spouse or common-law partner or parent who holds the IEC work permit may ask to be granted admission to Canada for a duration coinciding with their spouse or common-law partner or parent's IEC work permit but the Port of Entry Officer has the discretion to grant this or not. The spouse must provide a copy of the marriage certificate; the child, a copy of the birth certificate along with a written consent of the other non-accompanying parent if the child is travelling with only one parent; while the common-law partner must submit documentary evidence to show you have cohabited in an ongoing relationship for a minimum period of 12 months. This may include copies of documents such as: joint bank statements or statements to the same address; joint property ownership; superannuation beneficiary declaration/s; wills, etc. and include Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union"

So if i bring all supporting documentation, living, marriage, etc there is a possibility then ???

NOC List - There are some occupations that appear within the NOC List (type B) that my wife and i suit for, could this be an option for us aswell ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
03-09-2013, sent 17-09-2013, DM 06-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
GRETZKY99 said:

Myself 31 and my wife 27 are both living and working in Australia (Citizens) we would like to work and live over in Canada (Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto)

Im in IT with 4yrs experience along with 9yrs experience in Retail (management to *censored word* kicker jobs), my wife is in the Finance - Credit with over 8yrs experience.

OUR OPTIONS:

IEC WHV - i have applied and was approved but due to family reasons i will not b be able to leave by the due date (as shame i cant extend while its still current), my wife on the other hand can apply for this but doesnt want to travel without me.

Visitor Visa - I was thinking that perhaps if my wife did do the IEC WHV then i could accompany her if i was on a 6mth visitor visa and extend each time but while reading other people refussed visitor visa applications im kinda thinking this is not a good idea.

However an information via email from IEC mentioned this which might give me a ray of hope - "On arrival at the Canadian port of entry, a person accompanying their spouse or common-law partner or parent who holds the IEC work permit may ask to be granted admission to Canada for a duration coinciding with their spouse or common-law partner or parent's IEC work permit but the Port of Entry Officer has the discretion to grant this or not. The spouse must provide a copy of the marriage certificate; the child, a copy of the birth certificate along with a written consent of the other non-accompanying parent if the child is travelling with only one parent; while the common-law partner must submit documentary evidence to show you have cohabited in an ongoing relationship for a minimum period of 12 months. This may include copies of documents such as: joint bank statements or statements to the same address; joint property ownership; superannuation beneficiary declaration/s; wills, etc. and include Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union"

So if i bring all supporting documentation, living, marriage, etc there is a possibility then ???

NOC List - There are some occupations that appear within the NOC List (type B) that my wife and i suit for, could this be an option for us aswell ???

Hi,

As an Australian citizen you are not required to apply for a visit visa (so not sure which rejection you are taking about). The email from IEC is correct (read thier FAQ section: https://www.whpcanada.org.au/faq.shtml ), but you will not be able to work legally in Canada if you are only an accompanying spouse.

I think as you are already 31 you may not be able to apply for IEC again.

Regards,

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
Ok so the fact that i will not need a visa or anything to accompany my wife to Canada even if she enters Canada on an IEC WHV

But what about what the IEC emailed me this:

"On arrival at the Canadian port of entry, a person accompanying their spouse or common-law partner or parent who holds the IEC work permit may ask to be granted admission to Canada for a duration coinciding with their spouse or common-law partner or parent's IEC work permit but the Port of Entry Officer has the discretion to grant this or not. The spouse must provide a copy of the marriage certificate; the child, a copy of the birth certificate along with a written consent of the other non-accompanying parent if the child is travelling with only one parent; while the common-law partner must submit documentary evidence to show you have cohabited in an ongoing relationship for a minimum period of 12 months. This may include copies of documents such as: joint bank statements or statements to the same address; joint property ownership; superannuation beneficiary declaration/s; wills, etc. and include Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union"

This means there is a possibility then that i could stay longer then 6mths and continue on with my wife.

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
if you don't mind, any reason for moving from Australia to Canada ?

GRETZKY99 said:

Im in IT with 4yrs experience along with 9yrs experience in Retail (management to *censored word* kicker jobs), my wife is in the Finance - Credit with over 8yrs experience.

OUR OPTIONS:

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
GRETZKY99 said:
Ok so the fact that i will not need a visa or anything to accompany my wife to Canada even if she enters Canada on an IEC WHV

But what about what the IEC emailed me this:

"On arrival at the Canadian port of entry, a person accompanying their spouse or common-law partner or parent who holds the IEC work permit may ask to be granted admission to Canada for a duration coinciding with their spouse or common-law partner or parent's IEC work permit but the Port of Entry Officer has the discretion to grant this or not. The spouse must provide a copy of the marriage certificate; the child, a copy of the birth certificate along with a written consent of the other non-accompanying parent if the child is travelling with only one parent; while the common-law partner must submit documentary evidence to show you have cohabited in an ongoing relationship for a minimum period of 12 months. This may include copies of documents such as: joint bank statements or statements to the same address; joint property ownership; superannuation beneficiary declaration/s; wills, etc. and include Statutory Declaration of Common Law Union"

This means there is a possibility then that i could stay longer then 6mths and continue on with my wife.
Yes that is correct, this will allow you stay the full duration of your spouse's IEC work permit validity, otherwise the maximum you can stay in Canada on Australian passport is 6 months (you could go to USA for a few days and enter again for another 6 months).

Regards,

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
coolguy2010 said:
if you don't mind, any reason for moving from Australia to Canada ?
Its a moving over there for 6-24mths, not indefinitely.

We spent 4wks in the USA and have always wanted to visit Canada as well, awesome scenery, friendly laid back people and of course ICE HOCKEY...LOVE IT.

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
rizmayo said:
Yes that is correct, this will allow you stay the full duration of your spouse's IEC work permit validity, otherwise the maximum you can stay in Canada on Australian passport is 6 months (you could go to USA for a few days and enter again for another 6 months).

Regards,
Appreciate the words, so when you say rizmayo that this is correct and that this will allow me to stay the full duration with my wife while she is on her IEC WHV...if we do take all our supporting documentation, bank statements, proof of funds, marriage certificate, etc...would i be in a good chance of the POE letting me accompany my wife over this duration or would they um and are about it ? Its certainly worth a shot doing this IMO.

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
GRETZKY99 said:
Appreciate the words, so when you say rizmayo that this is correct and that this will allow me to stay the full duration with my wife while she is on her IEC WHV...if we do take all our supporting documentation, bank statements, proof of funds, marriage certificate, etc...would i be in a good chance of the POE letting me accompany my wife over this duration or would they um and are about it ? Its certainly worth a shot doing this IMO.
Yes you understood correctly.

Worst case (if immigration officer does not agree she is your wife :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ) you would have to run to USA every 6 months for a few days. However if you have strong supporting documents, there should be no reason for you not to be allowed for the full duration of your spouse's stay.

Regards,

coolguy2010

VIP Member
Jun 28, 2010
UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London to Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-05-2010
Doc's Request.
23-10-2010
Nomination.....
09-06-2011
AOR Received.
09-06-2011
IELTS Request
6 Band
File Transfer...
01-03-2013
Med's Request
01-03-2013
Med's Done....
30-03-2013
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
20-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Thanks buddy

GRETZKY99 said:
Its a moving over there for 6-24mths, not indefinitely.

We spent 4wks in the USA and have always wanted to visit Canada as well, awesome scenery, friendly laid back people and of course ICE HOCKEY...LOVE IT.

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
rizmayo said:
Yes you understood correctly.

Worst case (if immigration officer does not agree she is your wife :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ) you would have to run to USA every 6 months for a few days. However if you have strong supporting documents, there should be no reason for you not to be allowed for the full duration of your spouse's stay.

Regards,
We have our marriage certificate, bank account in both our names, statements with the same address all this is surely enough proof for the Immigration Officer ?

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
rizmayo said:

Regards,
Along with this we will be paying for 6mths accommodation in FULL straight up along with taking a total of 15k-20k proof of funds, hopefully this should weigh in our favour for myself to continue on with my while while shes on here IEC Permit and myself over there as a Visitor ?

Im trying to find out but no one can confirm with but would it be pretty unlikely of myself not being able to continue i mean with all our valid documentation, proof of funds, etc would i be a pretty safe chance of being eligible to accompany my wife ? Just that its not a quick flight from Australia to Canada obviously so im a little worried that i would be turned away (reading other stories of people be rejected a visitors to Canada due to not showing sufficent ties back to there home country but will all our documentation i should/hope to be safe)

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
GRETZKY99 said:
Along with this we will be paying for 6mths accommodation in FULL straight up along with taking a total of 15k-20k proof of funds, hopefully this should weigh in our favour for myself to continue on with my while while shes on here IEC Permit and myself over there as a Visitor ?

Im trying to find out but no one can confirm with but would it be pretty unlikely of myself not being able to continue i mean with all our valid documentation, proof of funds, etc would i be a pretty safe chance of being eligible to accompany my wife ? Just that its not a quick flight from Australia to Canada obviously so im a little worried that i would be turned away (reading other stories of people be rejected a visitors to Canada due to not showing sufficent ties back to there home country but will all our documentation i should/hope to be safe)
I wouldn't worry so much, you should not have any problem. Remember this is a reciprocal agreement, so if they treat Australiains unjustly, Canadians will have the same problem in Australia, they don't want that happening.

Showing sufficient ties back to your home country does not mean having enough to support yourself in Canada, it means the visa officer should not have a doubt that you will return back to your home country. This could be anything really (eg. Parents or siblings still in Australia, property, job opportunities back home, etc.). Cases that have problems here are those, who are more likely to be successful in Canada, then they could in thier home country.

So unless you have a skill set, that could never land you a job in Australia, you have nothing to worry about :p

Regards,

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
GRETZKY99 said:

BTW, rather than reading about the cases that were denied entry, you may have more fun searching video documentaries on this (for different countries, not just Canada). People who get turned away, are the ones who think it is wise not to answer the visa officers questions (pretend to be deaf ???? ;D ), lie about facts, or say stupid things like "yeah, I don't mind working if I get a job, while on visit visa".

Regards,

GRETZKY99

Sep 27, 2013
I do understand that only my wife can look for work (IEC Work Permit) while myself (Visitor - accompanying her) i can not.

But how do they keep track of this, whats to stop me looking for work and changing my visa status after ? or

what would happen if i started applying for job while i landed and hypothetically if i got a phone call or two to attend and interview for potential jobs can i do this?

rizmayo

Aug 17, 2013
Mississauga
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
With Application
Med's Request
16-07-2013
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2013
GRETZKY99 said:
I do understand that only my wife can look for work (IEC Work Permit) while myself (Visitor - accompanying her) i can not.

But how do they keep track of this, whats to stop me looking for work and changing my visa status after ? or

what would happen if i started applying for job while i landed and hypothetically if i got a phone call or two to attend and interview for potential jobs can i do this?
Well its not like they will have the secret police follow you around (happens in some countries.. sad truth :( ), still I would not advice you to do anything illegal.

Hypothetically speaking: You may get the job, work and go back (no immigration officer on exit) and come again for a visit later and none will be the wiser. However should you decide that Canada is place that you may want to settle down in permanently, that job may come up in your background checks, if you apply for permanent resident visa.

Regards,