+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Assessment of language skills

kramvi

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
I have a Master's degree from the US and several years of management experience there. I am very fluent in written, spoken and listening of English. I also know some French.

I was taking for granted that they would be able to assess my language skills at the interview after talking to me but after going through the procedural rules manual I am thinking. Will I still have to take some kind of tests as English is not my first language? And even if I am able to converse with the officer in French, will that mean anything if I don't have any test scores? Someone please advise.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kramvi said:
I have a Master's degree from the US and several years of management experience there. I am very fluent in written, spoken and listening of English. I also know some French.

I was taking for granted that they would be able to assess my language skills at the interview after talking to me but after going through the procedural rules manual I am thinking. Will I still have to take some kind of tests as English is not my first language? And even if I am able to converse with the officer in French, will that mean anything if I don't have any test scores? Someone please advise.
No, they won't test your language skills at the interview, you have to submit the IELTs results with your application for English and TEF if you want to claim points for French. Go back read the instructions http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

kramvi

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
I do have an IELTS test taken more than 3 years ago. Would that suffice? And how much time before the interview does one normally receive a letter from them? Do they give you enough time to gather documents, etc?

kramvi

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
And besides, I do not know when my interview is due. Would they give enough time after sending the letter to take a test? Or how does this work?

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes it does, 2 yrs.

EFFECTIVE December 23, 2010: If you are submitting a language test with your application, the results are now valid for 2 years from the time you took the test, instead of 1 year. This change applies to Federal skilled worker, Canadian Experience Class and Business Class Immigrants (investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people).

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

kramvi

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
What about people who got their degrees from English speaking countries? Does it apply to them too? Does anyone have experience with this?

_696_

Nov 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Not yet
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You should read further on CIC's doc and dig around, but as a rule of thumb if you're not born in a country which official language is English, then you must submit proof supporting your language abilities to be assessed on the criteria.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
See the following page. Specifically:

"Note: If you do not include your test results with your application, it will not be processed and will be returned to you."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

kramvi

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
I think I found my answer. If you see the b part here, it says that if one can establish one's proficiency levels through a written explanation, one does not have to provide a test score. Please comment on this

For applications received before June 26, 2010, kit and website instructions make it clear that it is
the responsibility of the applicant to choose which of these two options to follow, and outline the
consequences of this decision. The instructions in the kit:
 strongly advise taking a test from an designated organization if English and/or French is not
the applicant's native language;
strongly advise prospective applicants that, unless they believe they can clearly establish the
proficiency levels they claim through the means of a written explanation detailing training in
and usage of the language and supported by written proof of education and/or employment
using the language, they should undertake an approved test and provide results
;
 provide Web site links to the test equivalencies tables, so prospective applicants can
determine how many points for language their test scores will earn them;
 provide Web site links to the Canadian Language Benchmarks 2000 / Niveaux de
compétence linguistique canadiens 2006 so those applicants providing written submissions
will be able to review the standards against which their submissions will be weighed;
 inform applicants that the results of any language tests by non-designated testing
organizations will not be considered as evidence of language proficiency.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
kramvi said:
I think I found my answer. If you see the b part here, it says that if one can establish one's proficiency levels through a written explanation, one does not have to provide a test score. Please comment on this

For applications received before June 26, 2010, kit and website instructions make it clear that it is
the responsibility of the applicant to choose which of these two options to follow, and outline the
consequences of this decision. The instructions in the kit:
 strongly advise taking a test from an designated organization if English and/or French is not
the applicant's native language;
strongly advise prospective applicants that, unless they believe they can clearly establish the
proficiency levels they claim through the means of a written explanation detailing training in
and usage of the language and supported by written proof of education and/or employment
using the language, they should undertake an approved test and provide results
;
 provide Web site links to the test equivalencies tables, so prospective applicants can
determine how many points for language their test scores will earn them;
 provide Web site links to the Canadian Language Benchmarks 2000 / Niveaux de
compétence linguistique canadiens 2006 so those applicants providing written submissions
will be able to review the standards against which their submissions will be weighed;
 inform applicants that the results of any language tests by non-designated testing
organizations will not be considered as evidence of language proficiency.
This only applies to applications submitted before June 26, 2010. The rules have changed and IELTs is now mandatory.

kramvi

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Yes mine was submitted before that date. By the way how do some people like you get written on their profile the contents on the left? Is it done by the board or yourself and what significance does it have? I am just curious.