+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ask for a visitor visa after renounce permanent resident

emanuel2000

Apr 1, 2014
Hello,

My PR is going to expire on june 2014 and right now I am outside Canada and I have been in Canada for only 13 months so I am thinking on renounce to my PR and apply for a normal visitor visa because my family is leaving in Canada and I would like to go and visit them at least one time each year so I will like to know what are the chances that I will get a normal visitor visa after I renunce my PR and I will also want to know what I need to do to renounce my PR?

Thank you for your help and time.

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I had a relative who went through the same story...

Embassy workers will try hard to convince you to keep your PR, but if you insist on renouncing it, they will still ask you to renew it and provide a reason. If they're not convinced by your reason, they'll basically give you 30 days to appeal if you still want to renew your PR or you can now fill out an application to renounce it. While filling out an application to renounce your PR, fill out a visitor visa application and drop both at the same time. I know that there is a huge waste of time if you are a 100% sure about renouncing your PR from the very beginning, but that's how it works.

Also, someone correct me if i've missed a step.

sammy_2401

Star Member
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks tds69us for sharing your relative's story. I am surprised by this information - that they will try hard to convince you to retain your PR. I thought the other way round, if you apply for a travel document, they will usually reject it even if your application was having 730+ days and if you had a job in middle eastern country.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sammy_2401 said:
Thanks tds69us for sharing your relative's story. I am surprised by this information - that they will try hard to convince you to retain your PR. I thought the other way round, if you apply for a travel document, they will usually reject it even if your application was having 730+ days and if you had a job in middle eastern country.
Most case law actually disproves this.....the trend is that CIC/ Visa Post usually call it right and the PR is found to have breached the RO and their employment doesn't count as H&C.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emanuel2000 said:
Hello,

My PR is going to expire on june 2014 and right now I am outside Canada and I have been in Canada for only 13 months so I am thinking on renounce to my PR and apply for a normal visitor visa because my family is leaving in Canada and I would like to go and visit them at least one time each year so I will like to know what are the chances that I will get a normal visitor visa after I renunce my PR and I will also want to know what I need to do to renounce my PR?

All depends on if you want to live in Canada in the near future or not....if all you need to do is visit then sure relinquish PR. The most direct method to relinquish PR in keeping with CIC Operational Bulletins is for you to:

1. Fill out a PRTD application detailing your 'In Canada' days in the 5 years prior to the application which will show you breach the RO.
2. Include in the application a letter confirming that you acknowledge breaching the RO, have no H&C grounds, want to relinquish PR Status and waive all appeal rights.
3. Include in the letter your PR Card and any Provincial Health Card.
4. Include a visitors visa application with all supporting documents.

Visa post will respond with a letter denying the PRTD and may or may not include an appeal form anyway. After 60 days of you receiving the form and not appealing CIC load up their database with your PR Cancelled...you will now be a foreign national. Depending on your ties to the country you are in you may or may not get a visitors visa.

If you want guaranteed entry into Canada then don't relinquish PR but either enter via a land border with the US (If you have a US Visa and CBP admit you) or if visitor visa exempt then fly in and deal with CBSA at the POE. In the former scenario you can use your COPR if the PR Card is expired subject to using non commercial transportation. Even if you get reported you will still be let in...only you by not appealing or the courts if you appeal can cancel your PR status. Since Canada has due process it will be a while possibly up 2 years before your PR loss hearing and decision. All these time you are eligible for one year PR Cards...in the end you will lose PR but until then it beats the visitor route eh...expect a rough time at each entry though!!

emanuel2000

Apr 1, 2014
Thank you for all the responses.

Have somebody else have this case that the employees of the Embassy will try to convince to don’t resign your PR even do you didn’t spend the 730 days in Canada for the last 5 years and your PR is going to expire soon?

In the scenario that the employees of the Embassy will try to convince me to don’t resign my PR they will give me a new PR card for the next 5 year or what is going to happen after that?

In the case that the Embassy won’t try to convince me to keep my PR and they accept my resignation it will be easy to have a visitor visa just to visit my family on my vacations from work or I will need to wait a certain time to apply for a visit visa?

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi,

I have the similar situation and my PR will expire in two months. I want to surrender my PR card and want to obtain multiple visit visa to visit my family for next two years until my current employment contract is complete.

I have question, in case PR is surrendered and after two years I want to join my family and settle in Canada permanently and work there, is there any possibility that CIC or local embassy can revert back my visit visa into PR card and allow me to settle and work in Canada.

Is there any other way to revert back PR status after PR card is surrendered?

Please reply soon.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
KSA99 said:
I have question, in case PR is surrendered and after two years I want to join my family and settle in Canada permanently and work there, is there any possibility that CIC or local embassy can revert back my visit visa into PR card and allow me to settle and work in Canada.
Once you surrender your PR status - it's gone.

If you want to become a PR again after that - your family would have to sponsor you for PR.

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi,

Thanks Scylla for your clarification.

I have few more questions on sponsorship.

1. My wife who hold PR, can she sponsor me OR my wife has to wait to become Canadian citizen to sponsor me?

2. How long sponsor process will take?

3. Is it possible that I stay in Canada on visit visa and my wife start the process to sponsor me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KSA99 said:
Hi,

Thanks Scylla for your clarification.

I have few more questions on sponsorship.

1. My wife who hold PR, can she sponsor me OR my wife has to wait to become Canadian citizen to sponsor me?

2. How long sponsor process will take?

3. Is it possible that I stay in Canada on visit visa and my wife start the process to sponsor me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
I'm sure Scylla all good if I give you my 2 cents

1. She can sponsor as a PR but she needs to meet the RO and also reside in Canada throughout the processing. Is her RO situation an issue?

2. Depends on the visa office processing your application and also how fast your background checks are completed (some require the cooperation of non Canadian authorities so CIC has no control over this).

3. If you get a visit visa sure but then if the outland processing has started you may have to return to the relevant visa post for interview and/ or passport stamping. If you switch to inland process then it will take you 3 years. While a visitor you are not usually eligible for provincial health coverage. There will be other restrictions such as no employment.

4. As a visitor you may also find that you can't travel because if you leave Canada you may not be re-admitted since you are not really a genuine visitor but are hanging out in Canada for your PR. CIC may not sweat this much if the new citizenship law goes through as your visitor time won't count towards the physical presence requirement which is one of the reasons that many ex PR now visitors want to stay in Canada.

KSA99

Star Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for your clarification and help.

Yes, my wife PR is an issue. She has to stay 2 years in Canada to renew her PR and then can sponsor me.

If inland sponsorship process would take 3 years then outland process would be good for me.

Regards,

rvilla

Mar 24, 2014
Hello everyone,

I want to share my experience, I ask for a visitor visa, and I stated that I had a PR, I did not know back then that you have to renounce to the PR, so that's why I applied for a visitor visa. What the embassy told me is to review my PR status before applying again for a visitor visa.

In the end I think the embassy doesn't directly tell you to keep the PR, but it does indicate that they would prefer for you to find a way to keep it, so in my case I will enter Canada by land and deal with the situation in Canada.

I would recommend going to Canada with the PR, best case scenario you have 2 more years you can visit and then apply for a visitor visa.