+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

As a visitor in Canada....can i?

saghat

Jul 22, 2011
1..As a visitor in Canada....can i apply to any institution or school while i am on a visitors visa?
2..Can i become a Canadian citizen by giving birth to a child while in Canada?
3..Can i get a work permit as a visitor? and what is LMO

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes - you can apply to a school. But you can't start studying until you have applied for and been approved for a study permit. If you wish to apply for a study permit, the application will have to be sent to the visa office responsible for your home country.
2. No. Only the child will be a Canadian citizen. You will get no status from the child's birth.
3. In order to work, you must have an approved work permit. In order to qualify to apply for a work permit, you need an approved LMO. An LMO is something an employer applies for. As part of the LMO process, the employer must prove they advertised the role and were unable to find a Canadian to hire or train for the position. Since LMOs take a lot of time (months) and paperwork and because there's no guarantee of success (not all LMOs are approved), many employers are not willing to consider hiring foreign workers. However you can certainly try to find someone who is willing to hire you and go through the LMO process.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
saghat said:
1..As a visitor in Canada....can i apply to any institution or school while i am on a visitors visa?
For most recognized schools, you would need a STUDY PERMIT to study; but you can apply for admission. For some developmental courses that normally last from weeks to few months, you may not require permit to study. For example, language proficiency courses.

2..Can i become a Canadian citizen by giving birth to a child while in Canada?
Most likely NO. There is a high chance that you will be deported and won't be allowed to seek entrance again as it happened before.

3..Can i get a work permit as a visitor? and what is LMO
You can if you're a spouse of a WP/SP holder or a resident. Otherwise, it will be extremely hard. LMO stands for Labour Market Opinion. An employer has to apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) before he can hire a foreign worker. Read more: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/lmo-basics.asp

saghat

Jul 22, 2011
thanks for the usual rapid response on this forum......
concerning the study permit, does that mean that i will have to return to my home country to apply for a study permit? .... or can i send my documents via courier to the visa office in my home country?

I was also made to undstand that as a visitor i can apply and begin courses that are less than 6 months.

Pummelchen

Star Member
Jun 24, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no 6 months rule. As a visitor you are not allowed to study or work. Simple as that. Even to remove snow from you friends garden can get you deported as its work. You can apply to change your status while you are inside Canada as a tourist.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
saghat said:
thanks for the usual rapid response on this forum......
concerning the study permit, does that mean that i will have to return to my home country to apply for a study permit? .... or can i send my documents via courier to the visa office in my home country?

I was also made to undstand that as a visitor i can apply and begin courses that are less than 6 months.
If it's less than 6 months, yes you can! Also as for work, no you can't work. But Pummelchen is over-stating about the removing snow thing. If you want to volunteer, you can, but you cannot get paid.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
This link might help spell out the differences between volunteer and "work work"....and then again, it may not. LOL Why are these CIC infos so confusing?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/work-volunteer.asp

LovingMyCanuck

Star Member
May 8, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
(1) This really depends if they issue you a visitor visa and how long you stay. If you get a visitor visa there are things listed on it that states your conditions. Things like the things YOU CAN NOT DO (ex: You can't work/study during your visit) I do know on the CIc website and from experience that they will let you study if the course is 6 months and less. However, it really depends on what your conditions the officers gives you.

(2) No, your child will only be a Canadian Citizen and possibly a dual citizen of your country (depending if your country allows that) Ex: Two American couples gives birth to a baby in Spain, the baby is automatically an American, because of it's parents nationality, but also a Spanish citizen, because the child was born in Spain.

(3) As I stated above it depends on the conditions they give you if you are issued a visitor visa, but i do not think it is likely. An LMO is a Labor Market Opinion where the people who are willing to hire you must send in the paperwork to see if they can or not. It is usually approved when there is a job shortage of workers. But like Syclla said it is a long process. If you want to work in Canada go through the skills class. And you can only get a work permit if you have a job offer and this LMo and maybe additional stuff. Also even though you are approved to get the work permit, the officer wherever and however you land in Canada can either give you the permit or not. They need to know if you will LEAVE Canada after your permit is up.