+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arranged Employment - clarification

FAM

Star Member
Aug 30, 2008
Leon, if we go by the AINP, are we bound to work for employer in Alberta forever? How long we need to stay there and what are the limitations. Can you please explain about this?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cchabert said:
Thank you Leon I'm consider my options, let's see:

1.- My federal case is on limbo until the list came out. ( That's Plan A)
2.- I Apply with my H1B to AINP and waiting for answer on November (This is Plan B)
3.- Get a temporary work permit and start working, and wait until Plan A or B came with something if not apply for PNP with the employer (This is Plan C)

How this sound? I hope not to crazy, thank you for your advice.
Sounds good to me but why wait? You can start your plan B while you are waiting to see what happens with plan A and you can also start looking for jobs for plan C at the same time. Unless you are bad at multi-tasking :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FAM said:
Leon, if we go by the AINP, are we bound to work for employer in Alberta forever? How long we need to stay there and what are the limitations. Can you please explain about this?
Yeah, forever... MUHAHAHAHA!!!!

No, seriously, you do sign a paper saying that you are planning to settle in Alberta or that you intend to, I forget which. I would therefore advise whoever is coming on the H1B program of family support who gets PR right away to at least land in AB and spend a few months there before moving on. They can not accuse you of having lied about planning to settle there because you made an attempt to. You can always say you got a better job offer from elsewhere. If you are coming in on a temporary work permit and applying for PNP in Alberta that way, you will have to stay with the same employer until you get your PR. Again, probably looks better if you stick around for a few months after you get your PR but there is no contract for any number of years you have to stay and I have not heard about them going after anybody because of it.

C

cchabert

Plan B already started, I'm waiting to see if they send me the invitation package. and will start the plan C as soon as I understand more of the process, I don't want he employer ask me something about the process that I don't know, like how to fill the forms? how much it will cost to them if any?, how long it takes to get the permit?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't think the employer has to pay anything but it may cost them time to fill out the forms. If they have an agency normally doing forms, they might pay for that. My employer uses an agency to take care of work permits. The work permit costs you $150 I think. If you don't need an LMO, it could be fast too. Not sure exactly how fast. I'm guessing a couple of months. Might even be less.

C

cchabert

Thank you Leon I'll keep doing my homework, did you know usually how long is the work permit? 1 year or six months? and who decide on that? the contract with your employer? or the Government?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
I lived in New Brunswick for 2 years (as a grad student), so that's what I'm familiar with... Here's what their PNP faq says:

If I am successful in immigrating to New Brunswick through the Nominee Program, how long do I have to stay in the province?
The New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program is intended only for people genuinely interested in living and working in New Brunswick.
Any immigrant who has been nominated under the Nominee Program is fully expected to reside, work and conduct business in New Brunswick and become a permanent resident of this province. Any failure to comply with this Nominee Program requirement will be considered a breach of contract and a serious misrepresentation of facts in the application process. It is an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to knowingly make a false or misleading statement in support of an application for permanent residence in Canada. Doing so can result in a two-year ban from entering Canada.

I suppose if you stay there for a number of years, and then get a job offer elsewhere, they won't bug you. But if you gothere, get your PR card, and move elsewhere... they won't be happy. In other words, you cannot apply for PNP if you do not intend to live there.

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
cchabert said:
Eduardo and how about to Alberta same thing?
I wouldn't know. I tend to assume all provincies make the same requirement. But there must be a Alberta PNP faq website somewhere with a precise answer. :)

good luck

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cchabert said:
Thank you Leon I'll keep doing my homework, did you know usually how long is the work permit? 1 year or six months? and who decide on that? the contract with your employer? or the Government?
Temporary work permit is 1-2 years. You and the employer decide (your contract with employer) but the government has to approve it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eduardoF said:
cchabert said:
Eduardo and how about to Alberta same thing?
I wouldn't know. I tend to assume all provincies make the same requirement. But there must be a Alberta PNP faq website somewhere with a precise answer. :)

good luck
Normally they make you say that you plan to or intend to settle in the province. I have never heard about them going after anybody who didn't but there is no contract to stay for a number of years. You can plan or intend to settle in the province at the time you apply but plans can change. Maybe you have a hard time with jobs in that province and get a better offer from another province. They can not read your mind so they can not accuse you of having lied when you said you planned to settle in the province.

It's kind of like if you divorce your spouse. Just because you divorce does not mean that you did not plan to stay married at the time you got married.

I would still advise anybody going through PNP to stay at least 6 months after you get PR.

michaelantiola

Aug 26, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 05,2010
Doc's Request.
Oct 07,2010
AOR Received.
Dec 10,2010
Med's Request
Dec 13, 2011
Med's Done....
Jan 4, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 29, 2012
LANDED..........
God willing on Oct 15
eduardoF said:
I lived in New Brunswick for 2 years (as a grad student), so that's what I'm familiar with... Here's what their PNP faq says:

If I am successful in immigrating to New Brunswick through the Nominee Program, how long do I have to stay in the province?
The New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program is intended only for people genuinely interested in living and working in New Brunswick.
Any immigrant who has been nominated under the Nominee Program is fully expected to reside, work and conduct business in New Brunswick and become a permanent resident of this province. Any failure to comply with this Nominee Program requirement will be considered a breach of contract and a serious misrepresentation of facts in the application process. It is an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to knowingly make a false or misleading statement in support of an application for permanent residence in Canada. Doing so can result in a two-year ban from entering Canada.

I suppose if you stay there for a number of years, and then get a job offer elsewhere, they won't bug you. But if you gothere, get your PR card, and move elsewhere... they won't be happy. In other words, you cannot apply for PNP if you do not intend to live there.

hi i am really interested in NB. im waiting for my PR processing thanks. please help me

michaelantiola

Aug 26, 2010
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila VO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 05,2010
Doc's Request.
Oct 07,2010
AOR Received.
Dec 10,2010
Med's Request
Dec 13, 2011
Med's Done....
Jan 4, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 29, 2012
LANDED..........
God willing on Oct 15
Leon said:
Help you with what?
like the situation there. the people, weather, cost of living, nursing job opportunities, masters scholarship prog etc please thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can't help you much with NB. I have known one person who was from there but he said there was high unemployment there. Maybe for nurses, it's a bit better.