+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Arranged Employment - clarification

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Hi,

I took the self-assessment test, and even without arranged employment, I score 75 points, enough to apply fo the Skilled Worker permit.

My question is: does it mean that I can receive the skilled worker permit, and go to Canada, without having a job there?

Or will the consulate hold the permit until I get a job?

Does it also mean that I can go to Canada and get *any* job, regardless of NOC, etc.?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
You need to wait till the list of 38 being posted
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/federal-goverment-plan-to-limit-acceptance-of-skilled-workers-to-38-occupations-t10972.25.html

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
I suppose if I submit my application before the list is published, I might still get in, no?

also, having a master's degree, I probably qualify as "College & Other Vocational Instructors", or "University professor" or that sort of stuff - from what I remember there's shortage of university professors in Canada (I'll have a PhD next year).

But my question remains: can you still apply for the Skilled Worker process, if you have more than 67 points, but no arranged employment?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
I guess, no. everyone who submitted after February is waiting for that list.

valioiko

Star Member
Jul 27, 2008
Yes, you can apply. However, it's not quite sure that you will receive a positive decision for your application. And something else, if your profession is not in the list of occupations, your processing time will be longer than this of the others.

My advice is to wait one more month. I am waiting too.

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
valioiko,

I'm not sure that's the best strategy. The PNP-thingy appears to take longer, and adds another step to the process (get nominated + PR application), whereas the traditional Skilled Worker program takes one single step. There's no guarantee that this list is going to come out next month, and what if with the list they impose more restrictive rules? If you apply and the rules change, you can always withdraw and start over.

valioiko

Star Member
Jul 27, 2008
If you submit your application after 27.02.2008 (like in this case) you directly fall under the future immigration regulations (the so called "list"). So, if you wait just one more month, you will be able to determine what profession exactly to include in your application (it becomes something like a words game).

I someone thinks that I am not right....please correct me, so that the truth will come up.

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
thanks valioiko, now I see what you mean.

well, in any case, my profession doesn't change (2 years research assistant + 1 year consulting).

from what I understood in the other post about the 38 occupations, it's only a restriction, not a prohibition. so it might be the case that it will just take longer.

in any case I still have some time to decide. we'll see.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are right. They have already announced that all applications since Feb 27 2008 are going under the new rules without the new rules having been published. There is not much on the CIC website about this and many immigration lawyers are still taking money from people to do skilled worker applications when nobody knows if they will qualify under the new rules or not. I have told people to hold off applying until the new rules come out since they would be wasting their time if they don't qualify but there might be a slim chance that immigration will change the cut off date if too many people complain because they didn't post it that well. Still.. dealing with immigration, I think that is a very slim chance. They don't really have to care to keep the customer happy since it's not like you can just take your business elsewhere.

Initially it was said that priority occupations will be processed faster but recent bits of news have said that they are planning to return your file with your processing fee if it is not processed within a year. Since skilled worker takes more than a year to apply for right now pretty much everywhere, it would mean that if you are not in a priority profession, your application would just get sent back to you after a year because there's no chance it would have been processed yet and you could apply again every year and have that process repeat itself until you die of old age.

One newsclip even contemplated that under the new rules, people not in priority professions would be excluded from skilled worker and have to apply through PNP. There is no way of knowing what the new rules will be exactly until they post them.

For Eduardo F, if you think skilled worker is faster than PNP, think again. The skilled worker process is completely clogged up with people waiting. The waiting time in some countries is up to 6 or 7 years. There are something around 1 million people waiting in that system. For PNP, the only hard part is getting a job offer. Once you have a job offer and temporary work permit you can move to Canada with your family and apply for PNP through your employer. In Alberta where I live, it takes 6 to 15 months to get PR after applying through PNP. Compare that to skilled worker, 3 years in London, 6 years in India, 19 months in the US.

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Leon,

Thanks a lot for your insight.

Luckly, I am in one of the countries that processes these files the fastest. According to the website of the consulate (not of the CIC), processing time is around 13-15 months. Since I am contract-bound until the end of 2009, either way it works for me. well, i gotta think about this...

As you say, the tough part with the PNP is getting a job offer. How many people actually get job offers without being in the country, or being legaly authorized to work? I would bet, not many. We'll soon be hearing of companies being set up to sell job offers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are in a needed profession, you can get job offers without being in the country. My employer is bringing in maybe 10 cabinetmakers a year, probably would hire more if he could get them. Many of these guys are young and are only here for a year or two, others decide they want to go to another shop and get their work permit changed or they stay until they get PR and then decide to move to BC or whatever. My employer is definitely not the only company that is hiring foreigners. There is a shortage of tradespeople in AB so a lot of employers are doing it.

You can also come as a visitor to interview. One guy here did that last year, lined up some companies, came over on a visit visa, did some interviews and looked at some places, made his decision, then went back to pack up and wait for his work permit.

Some companies are already set up to sell job offers. BCguy was saying that in BC, you can buy a black market LMO for $10,000 or so. Somebody posted a news link here about something that was going on in one of the east provinces where people were paying even $100,000 or more to get a job offer but that program was stopped by the government when the clients started complaining that the jobs they were getting had no connection with their education or experience. There was also a guy on here offering AEO's you can use to speed up skilled worker and he wanted 15 to 25,000.

C

cchabert

Leon I'm kinda lost with the employment route, I don't need a LMO because my profession is under the Nafta Treatment, so tell if I'm right:

1.- Find a job Offer
2.- Send it to Alberta
3.- What else?

Thank you for your advice. BTW I know some cabinetmakers here, what they need to apply?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You want to do PNP from a temporary work permit?

Go by the PNP website for instructions. I do believe that you and your employer can apply for PNP right away before getting work permit or at the same time but if I was an employer I would not do this since he is doing a lot of paperwork and there is no guarantee that he will like your work or that you will stay there after you get your PR. My employer requires 6 months before he will apply for PNP. Many places might require 3 months only because that is normal probation time at a new job. So you basically will have to negociate with the employer when you can apply for PNP. Otherwise just apply for a temporary work permit since you don't need an LMO and when you get it, you can come and start work. You can, when you apply for your permit, apply for a spousal work permit if you are married or common law.

C

cchabert

Thank you Leon I'm consider my options, let's see:

1.- My federal case is on limbo until the list came out. ( That's Plan A)
2.- I Apply with my H1B to AINP and waiting for answer on November (This is Plan B)
3.- Get a temporary work permit and start working, and wait until Plan A or B came with something if not apply for PNP with the employer (This is Plan C)

How this sound? I hope not to crazy, thank you for your advice.