+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved Visa 4 months only for 2 year program

Ritsard

Oct 22, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching online for almost a week, but to no avail, i didn't find any answers...
So maybe someone can help me here.

Background:
Took 2yr program (of course with LOA)
Approved S-1 Visa (International Student for Winter 2018)
Have my passport with counterfoil received already (Visa Stamped)
Will be travelling to Canada by November 12, 2017

Problem:
When I check my confirmation letter (from IRCC) and Visa, it says valid from Oct 2017 - Feb 2018.
That means i got only 4 months worth of visa. My program will be Jan 2018 - Aug 2019 (~2yrs)
I got some info from my colleagues already in Canada that visa validity should be equal to the length of study.
How come i did receive only for 4 months, my passport will expire on Aug 2020.

1. How can I proceed with this? (with 4mos of visa only)
2. Will I be given a Study Permit of only 4mos? :(
3. Should I apply for an extension after getting there?
4. If i don't extend my visa, will i get deported?
5. What should i do best for my case?

Already contacted VFS, cannot answer.
Already emailed MANILIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca, no response yet.

Pls help me.. Thanks a lot..

Randomgirl

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching online for almost a week, but to no avail, i didn't find any answers...
So maybe someone can help me here.

Background:
Took 2yr program (of course with LOA)
Approved S-1 Visa (International Student for Winter 2018)
Have my passport with counterfoil received already (Visa Stamped)
Will be travelling to Canada by November 12, 2017

Problem:
When I check my confirmation letter (from IRCC) and Visa, it says valid from Oct 2017 - Feb 2018.
That means i got only 4 months worth of visa. My program will be Jan 2018 - Aug 2019 (~2yrs)
I got some info from my colleagues already in Canada that visa validity should be equal to the length of study.

Already contacted VFS, cannot answer.
Already emailed MANILIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca, no response yet.

Pls help me.. Thanks a lot..
you can apply for extension once you are there!! CHC never give a two yrs visa in one go.. rules have been changed. but yes in your case its quite weird as they have given you just 4months visa!!! not to worry you can just apply for extension in November. Not a problem i guess!!

Ritsard

Oct 22, 2017
you can apply for extension once you are there!! CHC never give a two yrs visa in one go.. rules have been changed. but yes in your case its quite weird as they have given you just 4months visa!!! not to worry you can just apply for extension in November. Not a problem i guess!!
Thanks for the response. Will this affect the validity of Study Permit that they will grant me @poe?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Can you Please give link to the source above in bold. People get 2 or 3 year visa without any restriction. Who has changed the rule : you or IRCC? If IRCC please share link ...if you then Please ignore.

Randomgirl

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Can you Please give link to the source above in bold. People get 2 or 3 year visa without any restriction. Who has changed the rule : you or IRCC? If IRCC please share link ...if you then Please ignore.
who am i to change the rules?? i have never seen or observed if someone gets visa for more than a year in one go. you will have to apply for extension after a year or two.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
who am i to change the rules?? i have never seen or observed if someone gets visa for more than a year in one go. you will have to apply for extension after a year or two.
Wrong Information : I have Visa for 3 years. My friends most of them have atleast 2 years of visa.

If you can't change the rules Why do you write "rules have been changed". AFAIK no rules have changed from IRCC that only leaves you
to change rules.

This forum is read by lot of people who trust the information here. So spreading rumours is quite wrong and it leaves a very bad impression
of the forum also. I know its hard to follow but Please try atleast.

Randomgirl

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Wrong Information : I have Visa for 3 years. My friends most of them have atleast 2 years of visa.

If you can't change the rules Why do you write "rules have been changed". AFAIK no rules have changed from IRCC that only leaves you
to change rules.

This forum is read by lot of people who trust the information here. So spreading rumours is quite wrong and it leaves a very bad impression
of the forum also. I know its hard to follow but Please try atleast.
well i have read somewhere that ircc is not issuing visa for more than a year.. because students withdraw from their courses and live in canada for the whole years without going to school. So i am just conveing what i read and its not vague!!! Maybe you have got visa for 3yrs but how can you say that all of them are getting visa for whole 4 years. you can just see an example above. he just got visa for just 4 months!! you may better read and gather more information about the rules!!! i would have share the link but unfortunately i dont know where i read that information!!

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
well i have read somewhere that ircc is not issuing visa for more than a year.. because students withdraw from their courses and live in canada for the whole years without going to school. So i am just conveing what i read and its not vague!!! Maybe you have got visa for 3yrs but how can you say that all of them are getting visa for whole 4 years. you can just see an example above. he just got visa for just 4 months!! you may better read and gather more information about the rules!!! i would have share the link but unfortunately i dont know where i read that information!!
You are still sticking to the rumour that you spread here. What do you mean by 'read somewhere'. Is it some encrypted website open to you only and not to others?

OP here is an exception and not a generality. Please don't use his example to back up your rumour mongering. Most of the people who came with me from India have minimum 2 years of visa and my niece came in Sep 2017 on 3 year visa and so did few of her friends.

Randomgirl

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
I agree with Immitsu, please don't give any wrong/random information you're unsure of on the forum. A lot of people may think it is 100% true.
look i am not in fovour of spreading nonsense rumours... but i have read that a month ago.. and if i dont remember where i read it and i cant get the link right now, that doesnt mean i am speading wrong information.. i just wrote what i read. i read it maybe on the newsletter from IRCC. and its not a wrong info.. Canadian embassy have become more strict in issuing visa these days.. they are making sure that no one live in canada illegally. i am not saying they wont issue visas for more than 2years of couses. i am just saying they will extend your visa after showing some proofs that you are still studying in the college. Anyway @imtasu you are just stretching this for no reason!! i wont get anything out of spreading useless information ok!!! i will get back to you with the desired link for sure!! i dont have enough time right now to go thorugh the links but i make sure to get you that link!!!

Randomgirl

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
You are still sticking to the rumour that you spread here. What do you mean by 'read somewhere'. Is it some encrypted website open to you only and not to others?

OP here is an exception and not a generality. Please don't use his example to back up your rumour mongering. Most of the people who came with me from India have minimum 2 years of visa and my niece came in Sep 2017 on 3 year visa and so did few of her friends.
And there is no rule that they will approve your visa for whole the degree at the same time!! rather arguing on this pitty thing.. i would like to do more important things than that!! my information is not vague!! and i really appreciate you care about the people on this forum!!! i do care about the people and i know how emotional people are with their VISA. i have already faced a rejection for study visa and i know how bad it is if someone share a wrong information. I JUST SHARED WHAT I KNOW!! AND ITS NOT A RUMOUR LOL!! PEACE OUT!! ✌

Ritsard

Oct 22, 2017
I'm sorry but this gets me a little confused...

Can any one of you share your thoughts on my case, rather than assert anyone's statement.
From there, I or we can weigh in which will be the best thing to do..

:)

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
I'm sorry but this gets me a little confused...

Can any one of you share your thoughts on my case, rather than assert anyone's statement.
From there, I or we can weigh in which will be the best thing to do..

:)
First of all I wasn't asserting anything here but pointing to someone's rumour mongering. It was to help you
as OP and other people in similar situation like you.

Coming to your situation, a very slim chance of getting reply back from email that you mentioned. At POE also
they can't change your study permit issued but will give you entry on basis of stamped/counterfoil document.

I believe this is a mistake from IRCC and if reasoning at POE doesn't help, your only option is to apply for extension a
month after landing with your confirmed LOA and other documents as required.

Good luck and I think there won't be any problem in extension if you have all all valid documents.

Reactions: Ritsard

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You seem to be mixing up a few things. The validity of your letter and TRV has nothing to do with the validity of your study permit. Also, there is absolutely no requirement for IRCC to grant you a TRV valid for the length of your studies; TRVs are often granted for a shorter amount of time or as single-entry instead of multiple-entry, for a variety of reasons. If you need to leave and re-enter Canada during your program, you can simply apply for a new TRV.

To answer your questions:

1. You go to Canada....

2. CBSA should grant you a study permit for the length of your program.

3. You won't need to apply for an extension.

4. A TRV is just a stamp in your passport that allows you to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada, which will be granted to you by CBSA upon entry.

5. Chill out...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
And there is no rule that they will approve your visa for whole the degree at the same time!! rather arguing on this pitty thing.. i would like to do more important things than that!! my information is not vague!! and i really appreciate you care about the people on this forum!!! i do care about the people and i know how emotional people are with their VISA. i have already faced a rejection for study visa and i know how bad it is if someone share a wrong information. I JUST SHARED WHAT I KNOW!! AND ITS NOT A RUMOUR LOL!! PEACE OUT!! ✌
Don't yell. It's rude.

There has been no rule change and IRCC most certainly issues visas/permits for several years at a time. You posted wrong information. Learn from it and move on.