Approved Visa 4 months only for 2 year program

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Coming to your situation, a very slim chance of getting reply back from email that you mentioned. At POE also
they can't change your study permit issued but will give you entry on basis of stamped/counterfoil document.
Incorrect on several counts. CBSA determines how long of a stay to grant at entry and the validity of the study permit has nothing to do with the validity of the TRV.

Reactions: Ritsard and Immstu

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Incorrect on several counts. CBSA determines how long of a stay to grant at entry and the validity of the study permit has nothing to do with the validity of the TRV.
I take it very humbly Sir/Madam. I used the probability scenario as well in third para for reasoning at POE.

Thanks Canuck as your experience here on the forum brings value to it. I apologise for my incorrect advice but I was relating it to my and lot of my friends/relatives experience.

Good for the OP as they have some genuine and reliable information now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ritsard

Ritsard

Oct 22, 2017
First of all I wasn't asserting anything here but pointing to someone's rumour mongering. It was to help you
as OP and other people in similar situation like you.

Coming to your situation, a very slim chance of getting reply back from email that you mentioned. At POE also
they can't change your study permit issued but will give you entry on basis of stamped/counterfoil document.

I believe this is a mistake from IRCC and if reasoning at POE doesn't help, your only option is to apply for extension a
month after landing with your confirmed LOA and other documents as required.

Good luck and I think there won't be any problem in extension if you have all all valid documents.
@Immstu, do you think this is a mistake? or is there any grounds on how to define the visa validity documented by IRCC?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I take it very humbly Sir/Madam. I used the probability scenario as well in third para for reasoning at POE.

Thanks Canuck as your experience here on the forum brings value to it. I apologise for my incorrect advice but I was relating it to my and lot of my friends/relatives experience.

Good for the OP as they have some genuine and reliable information now.
It happens. I have posted incorrect information several times in the past, as has every person on the forum, even the most experienced members. The immigration system is far too complex and ever-changing for anyone to know everything. The important thing is to learn from the mistake and try to better research answers in the future. The good thing about this forum is that it has been around so long, pretty much every question has been asked and answered already at some point. When I was new to the forum, before answering posts, I always found it very helpful to search the forum (using Google, not the website search) for previous threads about the same topic.

Reactions: Immstu

Ritsard

Oct 22, 2017
You seem to be mixing up a few things. The validity of your letter and TRV has nothing to do with the validity of your study permit. Also, there is absolutely no requirement for IRCC to grant you a TRV valid for the length of your studies; TRVs are often granted for a shorter amount of time or as single-entry instead of multiple-entry, for a variety of reasons. If you need to leave and re-enter Canada during your program, you can simply apply for a new TRV.

To answer your questions:

1. You go to Canada....

2. CBSA should grant you a study permit for the length of your program.

3. You won't need to apply for an extension.

4. A TRV is just a stamp in your passport that allows you to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada, which will be granted to you by CBSA upon entry.

5. Chill out...
So with this, all should be fine as long as i will not leave within the SP validity rather than visa validity?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So with this, all should be fine as long as i will not leave within the SP validity rather than visa validity?
Yes, it's all fine. You can most certainly leave if you want; you would just need to apply for a new TRV, which should be granted without issue. I would recommend you apply for a new one after your current one expires anyways, just in case. There are many threads about people who have to suddenly return to their home country and were then stuck outside of Canada for months waiting for a new TRV, missing school, losing jobs, etc.

Reactions: Ritsard and Immstu

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
@Immstu, do you think this is a mistake? or is there any grounds on how to define the visa validity documented by IRCC?
After going through Canuck's points I think it maybe nothing more than one of the approach of high commission and CBSA will give you the right due. My experience says (on a small scale) this may not be norm as my niece arrived only last month and she along with her friends had same validity as trv.

I feel positive now that it will be sorted at POE with full validity.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
It happens. I have posted incorrect information several times in the past, as has every person on the forum, even the most experienced members. The immigration system is far too complex and ever-changing for anyone to know everything. The important thing is to learn from the mistake and try to better research answers in the future. The good thing about this forum is that it has been around so long, pretty much every question has been asked and answered already at some point. When I was new to the forum, before answering posts, I always found it very helpful to search the forum (using Google, not the website search) for previous threads about the same topic.
Agree and worse is I have been given conflicting information from IRCC call centre on two different occasions.

Ritsard

Oct 22, 2017
Yes, it's all fine. You can most certainly leave if you want; you would just need to apply for a new TRV, which should be granted without issue. I would recommend you apply for a new one after your current one expires anyways, just in case. There are many threads about people who have to suddenly return to their home country and were then stuck outside of Canada for months waiting for a new TRV, missing school, losing jobs, etc.
Noted Canuck your're such a great help... This is very much a relief to me..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Agree and worse is I have been given conflicting information from IRCC call centre on two different occasions.
Unfortunately, that's no surprise. The Call Centre is notorious for providing incorrect information. Call 3 times and you will get 3 different answers. We pretty much never recommend calling them unless it is a specific inquiry in regards to the status of your app.

Ssa121212

Oct 11, 2019
Hi.
I just got the same problem.
My visa only granted for 5 months instead of 2 years.

Could you please update me on your situation. How did you got your visa extended.

Plz help

Reactions: Ankit Garhiya

Ssa121212

Oct 11, 2019
I have read everything.
They r just discussions about TRV and study permit.

Just wanted to know the solution by the person who went through this process.

dreamy2536

Star Member
Dec 2, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Dhaka VFS
App. Filed.......
27-11-2017
Doc's Request.
30-11-2017 [Additional documents]
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
Waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
01-12-2017
Med's Done....
04-12-2017
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
Expected 30-06-2018
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching online for almost a week, but to no avail, i didn't find any answers...
So maybe someone can help me here.

Background:
Took 2yr program (of course with LOA)
Approved S-1 Visa (International Student for Winter 2018)
Have my passport with counterfoil received already (Visa Stamped)
Will be travelling to Canada by November 12, 2017

Problem:
When I check my confirmation letter (from IRCC) and Visa, it says valid from Oct 2017 - Feb 2018.
That means i got only 4 months worth of visa. My program will be Jan 2018 - Aug 2019 (~2yrs)
I got some info from my colleagues already in Canada that visa validity should be equal to the length of study.
How come i did receive only for 4 months, my passport will expire on Aug 2020.

1. How can I proceed with this? (with 4mos of visa only)
2. Will I be given a Study Permit of only 4mos? :(
3. Should I apply for an extension after getting there?
4. If i don't extend my visa, will i get deported?
5. What should i do best for my case?

Already contacted VFS, cannot answer.
Already emailed MANILIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca, no response yet.

Pls help me.. Thanks a lot..
Inbox me..I had similar issue and I might be able to help!