+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Approved Online Visa - New York Consulate Passport Stamp in Person

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Hi,

After receiving the email via online approval for sending the passports to New York consulate by mail, has anyone ever tried to submit the passports in person?

I know from experience that the return of a passport submitted by USPS mail can take 15-20 days. Problem is that I do not have 15-20 days. I need to be in Canada within a few days and therefore, I am wondering if I should travel to NY to submit the passport for stamping in person.

Does anyone have experience with the above situation? Please help.

Thanks a LOT!

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
I know some people picked up their passports in person (but mailed passports to LA consulate). For NY office, I'm not sure if you can do the same thing.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks!

Do you know after how many days they were able to pick up their passports in person?

Thanks again.

meng5656

Apr 23, 2013
forsaken11 said:
Thanks!

Do you know after how many days they were able to pick up their passports in person?

Thanks again.
I guess about 2 weeks. I think NY office is slower than LA office.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, that won't work for me. I am hoping to go in person and get it the same day or the next day. Not sure if that can be achieved. Also, I have heard that its not easy to get into the consulate without a valid reason.

If someone has experience with the above then please share.

Thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

forsaken11 said:
Oh, that won't work for me. I am hoping to go in person and get it the same day or the next day. Not sure if that can be achieved. Also, I have heard that its not easy to get into the consulate without a valid reason.

If someone has experience with the above then please share.

Thank you!
Did you read the information on the New York site? http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/visas/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

1. There is a drop off 3 days per week, 30 days processing for TRV.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Did you read the information on the New York site? http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/visas/index.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

1. There is a drop off 3 days per week, 30 days processing for TRV.
Thanks PMM. However, I have already applied for the TWP online on 4th April. So, I only want to go for the stamping in person once I get the visa approval. I am not sure if it would be possible to do so and hence the original post here.

The 30 day processing period mentioned on the NY consulate's website is for those who will be applying from scratch.

punjabiii

Jun 6, 2012
Can someone provide details about their experience about going to NY consulate to pick up their passport. Website says nothing that we can go and pick up passports although I am hearing that people are going their and getting their passports with Visa stamp on it.

Please share your thoughts.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
punjabiii said:
Can someone provide details about their experience about going to NY consulate to pick up their passport. Website says nothing that we can go and pick up passports although I am hearing that people are going their and getting their passports with Visa stamp on it.

Please share your thoughts.
I would love to hear some opinion about the above as well. Thanks!

srip

May 13, 2013
I am in the same boat. Although I am waiting for them to approve my visa first and thinking of visiting NY in person and get it stamped which will save hell lot of time with these processing times. I applied it on May 1st online and haven't heard anything from them yet. I know it is too early to expect from them with the kind of speed they are working on but unfortunately I do not have much time and I have my US appointment on May 28th. Looks like I need to reschedule it and the latest availability is only in last week of June ???

ChakT

Apr 4, 2013
Have you guys gone to New York in person for the stamping?
Please let me know as I also got the Passport request today itself.

forsaken11

Star Member
Mar 7, 2013
ChakT said:
Have you guys gone to New York in person for the stamping?
Please let me know as I also got the Passport request today itself.
I have not. Still waiting for the passport request.

Sen_1911

Star Member
Mar 14, 2013
Hi Forsaken,

have you got to passport request yet...just want to know the timeline for online submission.

Thanks.

mdvj20

May 24, 2013
I dropped off my passport after I got the message to have my passport sent to the consulate. When you drop off the passport, include a USPS express mail envelope, stamp, and filled out label, along with your passport and the message asking you to send your passport. The guard will then place it in the dropbox (and ask you to be the witness). Below is my timeline:

March 27: Applied online
April 30: Request for passport
May 1: Dropped off passport
May 13: Visa issued
May 22:passport mailed through USPS express mail
May 23: Passport received.

Note that the drop off is only available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 8:30-10:30am.