+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying to EE while in Canada on visitor Visa

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
I am not sure if my plan is strong, and I need your expertise advice.

I currently hold a Canadian temporary resident visitor visa (valid until end of 2018) which allows me to enter Canada and live there temporarily. I have also satisfied all the requirements for Express Entry Application (FSW) such as # years work experience, IELTS, ... etc.

Due to my hard circumstances, I cannot go back to my home country (also the country in which I live in right now I hold a non-renewal visa which is expiring soon). So I have to leave the country as soon as my current non-resident visa expires.

My plan is as follow:

Step 1- Gather all my documents including reference letter, police certificate and medical examination, etc. and book my ticket to Canada.

Step 2- Enter Canada on January 2018 with TR visa and live with my relatives for 5-6 months. Basically I will have to cover the cost of my food, health and transportation since housing is already secured.

Step 3- As soon as I arrive Canada, I'll enter the EE pool, and wait until I am invited to apply (ITA). ~ 2 months estimate.

Step 4- Apply for Express Entry while in Canada on Visitor Visa.

Step 5- Wait until a decision on my PR application is made. ~ 6 months estimate?

Can you please advise me if my approach is legit and acceptable? Is it safe? What are the risks?
Anyone with similar case? Please help and advise! I have circumstance beyond my control and I cannot go back to my home country due to war and political conflicts.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I am not sure if my plan is strong, and I need your expertise advice.

I currently hold a Canadian temporary resident visitor visa (valid until end of 2018) which allows me to enter Canada and live there temporarily. I have also satisfied all the requirements for Express Entry Application (FSW) such as # years work experience, IELTS, ... etc.

Due to my hard circumstances, I cannot go back to my home country (also the country in which I live in right now I hold a non-renewal visa which is expiring soon). So I have to leave the country as soon as my current non-resident visa expires.

My plan is as follow:

Step 1- Gather all my documents including reference letter, police certificate and medical examination, etc. and book my ticket to Canada.

Step 2- Enter Canada on January 2018 with TR visa and live with my relatives for 5-6 months. Basically I will have to cover the cost of my food, health and transportation since housing is already secured.

Step 3- As soon as I arrive Canada, I'll enter the EE pool, and wait until I am invited to apply (ITA). ~ 2 months estimate.

Step 4- Apply for Express Entry while in Canada on Visitor Visa.

Step 5- Wait until a decision on my PR application is made. ~ 6 months estimate?

Can you please advise me if my approach is legit and acceptable? Is it safe? What are the risks?
Anyone with similar case? Please help and advise! I have circumstance beyond my control and I cannot go back to my home country due to war and political conflicts.
Did you do your diploma equivalency? That can take a few months depending on your timeline. How many CRS points do you have? There's no "2 months estimate" unless you're sure of your points.

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Did you do your diploma equivalency? That can take a few months depending on your timeline. How many CRS points do you have? There's no "2 months estimate" unless you're sure of your points.
Yes I managed my education evaluation.
Also If the current CRS rate remains constant or at least on the same range 435-440, I'm positive about receiving ITA.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Might work out or it might not.

You'll have to apply for at least one extension to your visit since you must be in status in Canada to apply for PR. Whether your extension is approved is up to CBSA.

Note that how long you are allowed into Canada when you arrive is up to the CBSA officer at the border. You may get six months or you may not.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes I managed my education evaluation.
Also If the current CRS rate remains constant or at least on the same range 335-340, I'm positive about receiving ITA.
I'm not sure where you are looking but the recent draws have been holding around 430-440 point range. I recall someone else posting recently that the lowest the draw has gone so far was 413 points. If your score is around 335-340, your only hope is to qualify through PNP.

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
I'm not sure where you are looking but the recent draws have been holding around 430-440 point range. I recall someone else posting recently that the lowest the draw has gone so far was 413 points. If your score is around 335-340, your only hope is to qualify through PNP.
Sorry I meant 400s (430-440)********

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Might work out or it might not.

You'll have to apply for at least one extension to your visit since you must be in status in Canada to apply for PR. Whether your extension is approved is up to CBSA.

Note that how long you are allowed into Canada when you arrive is up to the CBSA officer at the border. You may get six months or you may not.

Are you sure about the 'status' period for TRV visitor visas? Where did you find such information? Permit are only issued to students and workers. Holders of visitors visa do not receive a physical permit document at the port of entry, and therefore, are not entitled to certain in-Canada 'status' date other than the expiry date of their visas.

I thought that If my visa is valid until end of 2018, then I can stay in Canada (continuously) up to the expiry date of my visa. More feedback is required please.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you sure about the 'status' period for TRV visitor visas? Where did you find such information? Permit are only issued to students and workers. Holders of visitors visa do not receive a physical permit document at the port of entry, and therefore, are not entitled to certain in-Canada 'status' date other than the expiry date of their visas.

I thought that If my visa is valid until end of 2018, then I can stay in Canada (continuously) up to the expiry date of my visa. More feedback is required please.
Wow. You need to do a great deal more research. You have a number of massive misconceptions about Canadian immigration rules right now. The fact your visa is valid up to 2018 is only about the validity of your visa. It absolutely does not mean you can remain in Canada that long once you enter.

If and for how long you are allowed into Canada is entirely up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border. At most, you'll be given six months. Once you are close to the end of your allowed visit, you will need to apply to extend your status in Canada. Again, whether this extension is approved will be up to CIC.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017

My mom has a visitor visa valid for 10 years but she can't stay longer than 6 months each time she visits Canada.
You can't just stay till your visa runs out. It's up to the border officer to decide how long you can remain in the country.

Last edited:

Canadream2017

Star Member
Mar 26, 2017
Wow. You need to do a great deal more research. You have a number of massive misconceptions about Canadian immigration rules right now. The fact your visa is valid up to 2018 is only about the validity of your visa. It absolutely does not mean you can remain in Canada that long once you enter.

If and for how long you are allowed into Canada is entirely up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border. At most, you'll be given six months. Once you are close to the end of your allowed visit, you will need to apply to extend your status in Canada. Again, whether this extension is approved will be up to CIC.

Thanks for reply. I know that visas are visas, they just allow you to enter a country, precisely, they just allow you to fly to Canada, and it's up to the CBSA officer to let you in and decide how long.
For visitor visas, I made my own research and yet this is a grey area. My cousin lives in Canada with her brother on a TRV, she has been living there for over 12 months now - No issues.

What sort of documents are issued, given or written by CBSA officer that exactly states the period of stay for TRV visitor holder?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
TRVs are NOT a grey area. The rules are very black and white. I sincerely hope your cousin has applied to extend her stay since arriving in Canada - otherwise she is out of status now (i.e. in Canada illegally).

To answer your question: If the CBSA officer manually writes in a date on your passport - that's the length of your allowed stay in Canada. If the CBSA officer DOES NOT manually write in a date on your passport - you have been allowed in for six months. Again, the rules are extremely black and white. You will be allowed into Canada for a maximum of six months (although it could be shorter). After that, you will have to apply to extend your stay in Canada.