+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for PR with contract job

nbcc

Jul 4, 2021
Hi,

I am a recent grad. I just got a PGWP and a job offer in the IT field. However it is a contract job for a year and they will sign me through a staffing agency. The hiring manager have told me that contract jobs might not be used for PR application and that I can sign permanently with the staffing agency in order to submit the application. I am not sure what that would really entail. My assumption is that I would be signed to the agency probably for a year and on the contract it would say permanent but I am uncertain.

Would my contract experience be eligible for me to apply for a pr? I have been told both yes and no.
If I sign to the staffing agency, what would the occupation type on my application be? Would it still be in the IT field or would it be something else?
If I was to leave the company at the end of my contract, would I be able to or would it be a hassle since I signed with the agency?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am a recent grad. I just got a PGWP and a job offer in the IT field. However it is a contract job for a year and they will sign me through a staffing agency. The hiring manager have told me that contract jobs might not be used for PR application and that I can sign permanently with the staffing agency in order to submit the application. I am not sure what that would really entail. My assumption is that I would be signed to the agency probably for a year and on the contract it would say permanent but I am uncertain.

Would my contract experience be eligible for me to apply for a pr? I have been told both yes and no.
If I sign to the staffing agency, what would the occupation type on my application be? Would it still be in the IT field or would it be something else?
If I was to leave the company at the end of my contract, would I be able to or would it be a hassle since I signed with the agency?

Thanks
Are you trying to get the 50 job offer points?

Or are you just looking to claim work experience points under CEC?

Reactions: Naturgrl

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Could you tell me the differences in the two options?Thanks.
These aren't two different options.

If you want to qualify for CEC, you need to have a full year of work experience in a NOC A, B or 0 job that is not classified as self-employment. So you would need to determine if your arrangement is one that would be classified as self-employment. One of the factors that IRCC will sometimes look at is whether taxes are deducted from your paycheque by your employer and if you receive a T4 at tax time (vs. a T5).

If you also want to claim the additional 50 points for having a job offer in Canada to boost your chances of getting an ITA, then your employer needs to get an approved LMIA. Since you are on an open work permit, this is the only way for you to get the further 50 points.

tyagifever

Star Member
Oct 23, 2018
These aren't two different options.

If you want to qualify for CEC, you need to have a full year of work experience in a NOC A, B or 0 job that is not classified as self-employment. So you would need to determine if your arrangement is one that would be classified as self-employment. One of the factors that IRCC will sometimes look at is whether taxes are deducted from your paycheque by your employer and if you receive a T4 at tax time (vs. a T5).

If you also want to claim the additional 50 points for having a job offer in Canada to boost your chances of getting an ITA, then your employer needs to get an approved LMIA. Since you are on an open work permit, this is the only way for you to get the further 50 points.
hi Scylla

I'm in a similar situation, however i'm employed by the agency at 40 hr/week and my taxes are deducted from paycheque and will also receive a T4 from them. My question does the employment agency need to mention that i was a "full time employee"? or they can just write that i was assigned to a company to work 40 hrs/week? and ofcourse the salary, etc.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi Scylla

I'm in a similar situation, however i'm employed by the agency at 40 hr/week and my taxes are deducted from paycheque and will also receive a T4 from them. My question does the employment agency need to mention that i was a "full time employee"? or they can just write that i was assigned to a company to work 40 hrs/week? and ofcourse the salary, etc.
Sorry - don't know the answer.