+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for new work permit before IEC expires

ladyerin

May 26, 2013
Hi Guys!
Back with a few more queries since it's gettin closer to crunch time!
I am an Aussie dance teacher & performer with a few part time jobs here in Canada. One of my employers is willing to apply for an LMO for me.
What are my chances for a successful work permit application based on an LMO for a part time position?
Should i give details of all other positions/companies i am working with? I have founded a theatre company here for which i am the resident choreographer. Is it worthwhile giving details of this?
Also my 'common law' partner is eligible to extend his work permit under the IEC. Does this have any effect on my application?
Cheers wise ones! :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
To the best of my knowledge, LMOs are not approved for part time jobs. It doesn't matter if you are working other jobs (this isn't relevant to the LMO). If you are somehow able to obtain an approved LMO for one of your part time jobs and then are able to obtain a work permit based on that LMO - it will be a closed work permit. Meaning that this work permit will only allow you to work for the employer who obtained the LMO (i.e. you'd have to stop the rest of your part time jobs).

If your common law partner has a valid work permit and also a full time skilled job, then I believe you may qualify for an open work permit. This would be the way to go.