+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship outside canada with the new law (C-6)

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
Hello,

I would like to kindly ask for your feedback regarding a question I have.

First of all, a little information about me: I am Greek and I came to Canada in 2008 as a Master's student. I have been in Canada with a study permit until November 2014 when I became a permanent resident. I will obtain a PhD from a Canadian university this June. I was physically present in Canada for 778 days (2 years, 1 month and 17 days) since I became a permanent resident (I have subtracted the days that I was travelling outside the country).

Although I am planning to reside in Canada, I was hoping to go back to Greece and do military service for 6-9 months, starting this summer after getting my PhD. When C-6 passes sooner or later, I will be meeting all the requirements to be eligible to apply for citizenship (for example I can count an extra year before becoming a PR, since I've been living in Canada since 2008, so I have a total of more than 3 years in Canada; I also checked the other requirements).

My question is: am I going to be able to apply outside Canada for a Canadian citizenship after C-6 passes? Again, I will be meeting all the requirements, but I will also be living in Greece for a period of 6-9 months.

Thank you in advance for your time.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
geo909 said:
Hello,

I would like to kindly ask for your feedback regarding a question I have.

First of all, a little information about me: I am Greek and I came to Canada in 2008 as a Master's student. I have been in Canada with a study permit until November 2014 when I became a permanent resident. I will obtain a PhD from a Canadian university this June. I was physically present in Canada for 778 days (2 years, 1 month and 17 days) since I became a permanent resident (I have subtracted the days that I was travelling outside the country).

Although I am planning to reside in Canada, I was hoping to go back to Greece and do military service for 6-9 months, starting this summer after getting my PhD. When C-6 passes sooner or later, I will be meeting all the requirements to be eligible to apply for citizenship (for example I can count an extra year before becoming a PR, since I've been living in Canada since 2008, so I have a total of more than 3 years in Canada; I also checked the other requirements).

My question is: am I going to be able to apply outside Canada for a Canadian citizenship after C-6 passes? Again, I will be meeting all the requirements, but I will also be living in Greece for a period of 6-9 months.

Thank you in advance for your time.
It's a bit premature to say. C6 is not a law, but a bill that is still being shaped. There are many amendments to the bill that are still being discussed and until those are finalized, you really won't know if you qualify for citizenship or not.

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
torontosm said:
It's a bit premature to say. C6 is not a law, but a bill that is still being shaped. There are many amendments to the bill that are still being discussed and until those are finalized, you really won't know if you qualify for citizenship or not.
Thank you for the quick reply.

Ok, I understand that nothing is guaranteed until the amendments are finalized. Just to have an idea though, with the law as it is today, if the requirements are met, is it possible to apply for citizenship outside Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
geo909 said:
Thank you for the quick reply.

Ok, I understand that nothing is guaranteed until the amendments are finalized. Just to have an idea though, with the law as it is today, if the requirements are met, is it possible to apply for citizenship outside Canada?
It doesn't make sense to apply from outside of Canada unless you're able to travel to Canada with practically no notice. CIC typically gives you very little notice before both the test and oath. I would personally wait until you get back.

Being outside of Canada when you apply has also always been a bit problematic even before the current citizenship rules and intent to reside.