+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Travel Document as a Permanent Resident

Rsw1209

Apr 9, 2024
Hello everyone, I apologize if this isn’t the right section to ask.
I’ve been looking everywhere and I can’t find an answer to my question.
I am a Permanent Resident. I acquired my status through spousal sponsorship, i’m not a protected person or a refugee (and never applied for those type of statuses).
My passport has expired, and I am unable to renew it (mainly, there is no embassy in Canada for my country, but also, I have not completed mandatory military service so I do not believe they would issue a passport for me).

Is there any chance that someone in my situation can apply for a travel document from Canada to travel to a third country? (Not eligible for Citizenship yet).

Thank you!

Reactions: travisjohn257

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am a Permanent Resident. I acquired my status through spousal sponsorship, i’m not a protected person or a refugee (and never applied for those type of statuses).
My passport has expired, and I am unable to renew it (mainly, there is no embassy in Canada for my country, but also, I have not completed mandatory military service so I do not believe they would issue a passport for me).

Is there any chance that someone in my situation can apply for a travel document from Canada to travel to a third country? (Not eligible for Citizenship yet).

Thank you!
This is not from personal experience. But according to google, there is an option to get Certificate of identity as PR.
Canadian Certificate of Identity - Wikipedia

Scroll down and look up the details on getting CI :
Types of passports and travel documents - Canada.ca

Reactions: Rsw1209

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you!
You can apply for a PR travel document but this is not a substitute for a passport. You still need a passport to board a plane.

RTDs are specifically for refugees so you wouldn't qualify for one.

I'm not aware of any alternatives but maybe others are.

Reactions: Rsw1209

Rsw1209

Apr 9, 2024
This is not from personal experience. But according to google, there is an option to get Certificate of identity as PR.
Canadian Certificate of Identity - Wikipedia

Scroll down and look up the details on getting CI :
Types of passports and travel documents - Canada.ca
Thank you for your answer!
I actually had seen that as an option, but the intent would be traveling to Mexico to see family members. I did reach out to Mexico to see if the Certificate of Identity was acceptable but they replied negative “Permanent Residents of Canada must present their Permanent resident card and one of the following: valid foreign Passport or Refugee Travel Document.”

Would it even be possible to apply for Protected Person status if I’m already a PR?

You can apply for a PR travel document but this is not a substitute for a passport. You still need a passport to board a plane.

RTDs are specifically for refugees so you wouldn't qualify for one.

I'm not aware of any alternatives but maybe others are.
Thank you!
I’m currently in Canada and have a valid PR card, so a PRTD wouldn’t apply to me.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your answer!
I actually had seen that as an option, but the intent would be traveling to Mexico to see family members. I did reach out to Mexico to see if the Certificate of Identity was acceptable but they replied negative “Permanent Residents of Canada must present their Permanent resident card and one of the following: valid foreign Passport or Refugee Travel Document.”

Would it even be possible to apply for Protected Person status if I’m already a PR?

Thank you!
I’m currently in Canada and have a valid PR card, so a PRTD wouldn’t apply to me.
No, you cannot apply for protected person status if you are already a PR.

Rsw1209

Apr 9, 2024
No, you cannot apply for protected person status if you are already a PR.
Thank you! I guess I am out of options so I will just stay put in Canada for the next 2 years (plus however long it will take them to process a citizenship application then), not the worst thing at all! :D
We’ll work on the opposite then: visitor visas for my family so they can come see me here for a few weeks instead of me going there.