+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a Start-Up Visa directly?

itsmelee

Jan 26, 2016
May I clarify that you have received Temporary application number (TAN) and AOR on two different days?
Regarding the permanent no., do you mean that you have already received the Application File Number ?

With my application submitted in April 2020, I just received TAN in mid January 2021. By now, no AOR or Application File No are received. So would like to clarify if TAN and AOR are the same thing? Should I expect the next response be the AOR or Application File No?

I received a temporary number early Jan.

Then 2-3 weeks later, I received a letter stating that my application is now being processed, with a new file number quoted.

Kai Nemo

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
May I clarify that you have received Temporary application number (TAN) and AOR on two different days?
Regarding the permanent no., do you mean that you have already received the Application File Number ?

With my application submitted in April 2020, I just received TAN in mid January 2021. By now, no AOR or Application File No are received. So would like to clarify if TAN and AOR are the same thing? Should I expect the next response be the AOR or Application File No?
Hi Isaackyliebun,
AOR = Acknowledge Of Receipt = Application File Number = Permanent application number.
The temporary application number only means that your PR application has been received by IRCC but hasn't been reviewed yet and it is in the queue for review by IRCC.
Once, your application will be assessed IRCC will provide you with a permanent application number (AOR) if it is complete, if not IRCC will send you an Additional Document Request (ADR) instead of AOR.
FYI:
- I applied on 7th Jan 2020 => AOR on 16th Jan => Biometrics Requested on 16th Jan => Biometrics submitted on 31st Jan => Received the ADR on 25th July from IRCC => Sent all ADR to IRCC on 31st July 2020. Now Awaiting for the updated information from IRCC on the next coming steps.
- My friend applied on 15th Mar 2020 => AOR on 15th Jan 2021....so far hasn't received any updates from IRCC.
- My brother applied on 20th Aug 2020 => Received "the temporary application number" on 18th Jan 2021....so far hasn't received any updates from IRCC.
Hope it can help you.
Good luck
Cheers
Kai

Reactions: mamad611

isaackyliebun

Oct 9, 2014
Hi Isaackyliebun,
AOR = Acknowledge Of Receipt = Application File Number = Permanent application number.
The temporary application number only means that your PR application has been received by IRCC but hasn't been reviewed yet and it is in the queue for review by IRCC.
Once, your application will be assessed IRCC will provide you with a permanent application number (AOR) if it is complete, if not IRCC will send you an Additional Document Request (ADR) instead of AOR.
FYI:
- I applied on 7th Jan 2020 => AOR on 16th Jan => Biometrics Requested on 16th Jan => Biometrics submitted on 31st Jan => Received the ADR on 25th July from IRCC => Sent all ADR to IRCC on 31st July 2020. Now Awaiting for the updated information from IRCC on the next coming steps.
- My friend applied on 15th Mar 2020 => AOR on 15th Jan 2021....so far hasn't received any updates from IRCC.
- My brother applied on 20th Aug 2020 => Received "the temporary application number" on 18th Jan 2021....so far hasn't received any updates from IRCC.
Hope it can help you.
Good luck
Cheers
Kai
Thanks Kai Nemo for your detail. It’s very clear. So the next step for you is the medical, i guess. Grateful if you can keep us posted your timeline under such pandemic. Hope everything will be smooth for you and hear good news from you soon.

Reactions: Kai Nemo

Kai Nemo

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
Thanks Kai Nemo for your detail. It’s very clear. So the next step for you is the medical, i guess. Grateful if you can keep us posted your timeline under such pandemic. Hope everything will be smooth for you and hear good news from you soon.
Hi SUV Colleagues,
I am not sure if all of you guys know so just for your information we have another link in this forum which I assume there are a lot of helpful information for you. So let try it when you have time.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/startup-visa-program-timeline.571746/page-21
Cheers
Kai

Nomad80

Mar 10, 2021
Hi Guys,
I am 40 years old. I manager of a travel agency owned by my brother at home. The company is operational since 2013 and has regular clients, i can say it is number one in my country in its niche.
We are planning to extend our business and create large online travel agency that will offer services in many countries. The aim is to incorporate the company in Canada and run the business from there. Travel agency (even online one) is regulated business in Canada, according to my own research I believe that i can meet the requirements.

I wonder if i have any chances to apply for Startup visa with this kind of arrangement ?
I am aware that i need support from business incubator however do not know which ones could support tourism sector.

Could you please advise ?

hmblaster

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Hi Guys,
I am 40 years old. I manager of a travel agency owned by my brother at home. The company is operational since 2013 and has regular clients, i can say it is number one in my country in its niche.
We are planning to extend our business and create large online travel agency that will offer services in many countries. The aim is to incorporate the company in Canada and run the business from there. Travel agency (even online one) is regulated business in Canada, according to my own research I believe that i can meet the requirements.

I wonder if i have any chances to apply for Startup visa with this kind of arrangement ?
I am aware that i need support from business incubator however do not know which ones could support tourism sector.

Could you please advise ?
Hi Nomad,

1. There are no incubators who support a particular sector. I would suggest that start contacting the incubators listed in the list below and if any of them is interested in your idea, they'll extend you an invitation to apply for their program. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/designated-organizations.html

2. There are many frauds happening around this area and the most common one is the consultancies asking huge amount of money in exchange of getting you in touch with the incubators.

3. Be prepared to show a thorough business plan since you already have an established business in your country. Also you may want to show that you are profitable since you've been in the business for over 7 years.

4. Once a designated organization has accepted you and you are able to obtain the letter of support, you enter into a process of loooooooooooong wait for the PR: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/apply.html

5. You (And your business partner, if any) have to take an IELTS with at least 5 bands in all sections.

I hope this helps in order for you to get started.

Good luck.

Nomad80

Mar 10, 2021
Hi Nomad,

1. There are no incubators who support a particular sector. I would suggest that start contacting the incubators listed in the list below and if any of them is interested in your idea, they'll extend you an invitation to apply for their program. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/designated-organizations.html

2. There are many frauds happening around this area and the most common one is the consultancies asking huge amount of money in exchange of getting you in touch with the incubators.

3. Be prepared to show a thorough business plan since you already have an established business in your country. Also you may want to show that you are profitable since you've been in the business for over 7 years.

4. Once a designated organization has accepted you and you are able to obtain the letter of support, you enter into a process of loooooooooooong wait for the PR: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/start-visa/apply.html

5. You (And your business partner, if any) have to take an IELTS with at least 5 bands in all sections.

I hope this helps in order for you to get started.

Good luck.
Dear Hmblaster,

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a detailed post. I really appreciate it.
I still have a bit of misunderstanding with the aplication process. I read that incubators require you to enroll in their courses ( i guess this is same with all of them). How does it work ? Do you first apply for the program and then if you are accepted, you have to complete the course in order to get the letter of support ? Bit confused with the sequence. Can you obtain the letter of support for PR application without attending a course or attending it once you arrive with PR in Canada ?
Thanks a lot

hmblaster

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020
Dear Hmblaster,

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a detailed post. I really appreciate it.
I still have a bit of misunderstanding with the aplication process. I read that incubators require you to enroll in their courses ( i guess this is same with all of them). How does it work ? Do you first apply for the program and then if you are accepted, you have to complete the course in order to get the letter of support ? Bit confused with the sequence. Can you obtain the letter of support for PR application without attending a course or attending it once you arrive with PR in Canada ?
Thanks a lot
The accurate steps are:

1. Contact the designated entity and get accepted
2. Negotiate with them if they can issue you a support letter without the program/course. It's rare that you can do this unless your business is very profitable and you are sure that the same model works in Canada. They also see if the business is a globally scalable business before they accept you.
3. Note that PR processing takes about 31 months as per the current timelines. You have to be extremely patient to go through this process.

I hope this helps.

Nomad80

Mar 10, 2021
The accurate steps are:

1. Contact the designated entity and get accepted
2. Negotiate with them if they can issue you a support letter without the program/course. It's rare that you can do this unless your business is very profitable and you are sure that the same model works in Canada. They also see if the business is a globally scalable business before they accept you.
3. Note that PR processing takes about 31 months as per the current timelines. You have to be extremely patient to go through this process.

I hope this helps.
Thanks a lot for your answer !

Reactions: hmblaster

vicky@uae

Jan 12, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've been accepted into a Canadian incubator for the Start Up Visa, and was wondering if I could get an opinion on ultimately applying directly vs. using the services of an immigration attorney, please.

From what I can tell on the CIC site, the application for both the Temporary Work Permit and the subsequent 'full' Start Up Visa seems to be quite straightforward, and have been designed for applicants to fill in directly. There's obviously a lot of paperwork to gather, and a lot of details to fill in, but there also seems to be quite a lot of instructional hand-holding. The PDF application form, form example, even has a 'validate' button for checking for obvious goofs prior to submission.

Given that some attorneys have quoted fees of $30,000 CAD and up (not this firm; I've not yet spoken to Campbell Cohen, so I have no idea what they charge), I'm wondering whether it might be worth instead putting this money to better use in my company. That'd fund a decent advertising budget or almost the first year of rent.

On the other hand, there may be benefits to using an attorney that I'm not aware of. Does having solid legal representation help applications go faster? Is there anything a lawyer adds to this process that I couldn't just fill in myself? It appears pretty straightforward on the surface. If a lawyer is essentially just going to take my info and parrot it on the official application form, I'd rather save the cash. If a higher approval rating or less stress down the road is likely, then it seems like it might be a worthwhile investment.

I'm wondering if anyone here has applied directly and has any experience to shared.

Thanks in advance!
can you please share the details of your business plan (which type of business you started) and how you searched an incubator and what are the conditions of these incubators like their charges etc

Startup_Visa

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
can you please share the details of your business plan (which type of business you started) and how you searched an incubator and what are the conditions of these incubators like their charges etc
Vicky - you seem to be asking the same general questions on multiple posts, the answer remains the same - you will have to do the basic initial research yourself. Once you have done enough research then you need to ask specific questions via a new post and then experienced members will respond to it. And please be realistic, nobody is going to share their business plan with you.

I can see multiple members have guided you on how to research different incubators and their terms, but clearly you don't want to do the research and want it given to you, in which case I will suggest you search for a consultant or lawyer who can do that for you.

Reactions: Mauchan

itsmelee

Jan 26, 2016
Yeah, no disrespect intended, but if you're asking questions like this, you're almost certainly not going to find an incubator who will support you.

5 minutes with Google will reveal a list of approved incubators. After that, it's up to you to decide which area you want to start your business, and which incubator is then likely best placed to support it.

Following that, standard human expectations apply: Reach out to them to ask questions, assess rates, figure out if your business is likely something that will benefit from being based in Canada, whether it fits within the criteria of what they're looking for, consider the lifestyle implications and whether you can afford it, etc.

It's amazing to me that someone would have the nouse to sign up to an immigration forum but then need someone to effectively do a Google search for them. The approved incubator list is extremely simple to find -- literally search "canada approved incubator" and it's the top result.

Reactions: Startup_Visa

vicky@uae

Jan 12, 2020
Yeah, no disrespect intended, but if you're asking questions like this, you're almost certainly not going to find an incubator who will support you.

5 minutes with Google will reveal a list of approved incubators. After that, it's up to you to decide which area you want to start your business, and which incubator is then likely best placed to support it.

Following that, standard human expectations apply: Reach out to them to ask questions, assess rates, figure out if your business is likely something that will benefit from being based in Canada, whether it fits within the criteria of what they're looking for, consider the lifestyle implications and whether you can afford it, etc.

It's amazing to me that someone would have the nouse to sign up to an immigration forum but then need someone to effectively do a Google search for them. The approved incubator list is extremely simple to find -- literally search "canada approved incubator" and it's the top result.
I think that a very rude reply. I didnt put my nose directly to something that i dont know. I just asked which type of business anyone is doing so that i can have idea. I didnt ask for business plans to mail me or show me their bank balances. Question are something that arose in your mind when you are new to something.

vicky@uae

Jan 12, 2020

Canadian market will he new for me. I am use to Gulf Market where to approach an investor is totally different how you approach them in USA or May b in Canada. Thats why tried to get idea of approaching them.