+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for refugee at windsor canada border

sarah1988

Sep 30, 2015
Hi,
I am Iraqi nationality and I have already US tourism Visa I want to apply for Refugee with my family(me and wife and child) in USA-Canada Border(Detroit-windsor).
I have only a wife cousin and already outside Canada .
My questions.
1-can I apply in Canada border is they accept my case?
2-what is the documents require to apply for refugee.
3-How many time require to accept my case

Thanks,
I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sarah1988 said:
Hi,
I am Iraqi nationality and I have already US tourism Visa I want to apply for Refugee with my family in USA-Canada Border(Detroit-windsor).
I don't have any one in Canada only my cousin wife and already outside Canada since 2012.
My questions.
1-can I apply in Canada border and if I don't have anyone at this time inside Canada is they accept my case?
2-How I can go from Detroit to windsor is they allowed me to pass the USA border.
3-what is the documents require to apply for refugee.
4-How many time require to accept my case

Thanks,

Regards,
No, you are already in a "safe country" and Canada will refuse you if you have no family ties to Canada. A "cousin wife" is not considered as family. You don't appear to match the "Document holder exceptions" either. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the above. If you want to apply for refugee status - you need to do it in the US.

sarah1988

Sep 30, 2015
Thanks all for reply

The case will be under my wife name because she is her cousin do you think that is tie family and they will accept our case

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sarah1988 said:
Thanks all for reply

The case will be under my wife name because she is her cousin do you think that is tie family and they will accept our case
A cousin is not classified as a family member for these purposes. So no - you should not expect Canada to accept your claim. Again, if you wish to apply for asylum, you need to do it in the US since it's the first safe country you reached.

sarah1988

Sep 30, 2015
I have friend even he don't have any relatives in Canada they accepted his case by same way and he have already PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sarah1988 said:
I have friend even he don't have any relatives in Canada they accepted his case by same way and he have already PR.
He got lucky.

You can certainly give it a try. No one is going to stop you from doing that. All we are saying here is that if CIC follows the rules, your application won't be accepted.

CanadianForces

May 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement
The Safe Third Country Agreement between Canada and the United States (U.S.) is part of the U.S.–Canada Smart Border Action Plan.

Under the Agreement, refugee claimants are required to request refugee protection in the first safe country they arrive in, unless they qualify for an exception to the Agreement.

Where the Agreement is in effect
The Safe Third Country Agreement applies only to refugee claimants who are seeking entry to Canada from the U.S.:

at Canada-U.S. land border crossings
by train or
at airports, only if the person seeking refugee protection in Canada has been refused refugee status in the U.S. and is in transit through Canada after being deported from the U.S.

Exceptions to the Agreement
Exceptions to the Agreement consider the importance of family unity, the best interests of children and the public interest.

There are four types of exceptions:

Family member exceptions
Unaccompanied minors exception
Document holder exceptions
Public interest exceptions
Even if they qualify for one of these exceptions, refugee claimants must still meet all other eligibility criteria of Canada’s immigration legislation. For example, if a person seeking refugee protection has been found inadmissible in Canada on the grounds of security, for violating human or international rights, or for serious criminality, that person will not be eligible to make a refugee claim.

Family member exceptions
Refugee claimants may qualify under this category of exceptions if they have a family member who:

is a Canadian citizen
is a permanent resident of Canada
is a protected person under Canadian immigration legislation
has made a claim for refugee status in Canada that has been accepted by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada (IRB)
has had his or her removal order stayed on humanitarian and compassionate grounds
holds a valid Canadian work permit
holds a valid Canadian study permit, or
is over 18 years old and has a claim for refugee protection that has been referred to the IRB for determination. (This claim must not have been withdrawn by the family member, declared abandoned or rejected by the IRB or found ineligible for referral to the IRB.)

Unaccompanied minors exception
Refugee claimants may qualify under this category of exceptions if they are minors (under the age of 18) who:

are not accompanied by their mother, father or legal guardian
have neither a spouse nor a common-law partner, and
do not have a mother, a father or a legal guardian in Canada or the United States.

Document holder exceptions
Refugee claimants may qualify under this category of exceptions if they:

hold a valid Canadian visa (other than a transit visa)
hold a valid work permit
hold a valid study permit
hold a travel document (for permanent residents or refugees) or other valid admission document issued by Canada, or
are not required (exempt) to get a temporary resident visa to enter Canada but require a U.S.–issued visa to enter the U.S.

enter the U.S.
Public interest exceptions
Refugee claimants may qualify under this category of exceptions if:

they have been charged with or convicted of an offence that could subject them to the death penalty in the U.S. or in a third country. However, a refugee claimant is ineligible if he or she has been found inadmissible in Canada on the grounds of security, for violating human or international rights, or for serious criminality, or if the Minister finds the person to be a danger to the public.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

naveedpcs

May 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad ( my file did not move to uk)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 june 2013
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
1st week of july 2013
IELTS Request
No
File Transfer...
13 Nov,2013 , in process from : feb 5, 2015
Med's Request
18 Nov. 2015
Med's Done....
25 Nov. 2015
Interview........
Wived. Thank God
Passport Req..
18 Nov. 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Dec.16,2015 thank God
LANDED..........
15 jan. 2016 insha Allah
sarah1988 said:
Yes I know, Anyway thanks for your advise .
hi, bro. I read your message here. If your wife,s first cousin lived in Canada and he is permanent residence or cityzinship then you and your family did your refugee case on a border of Windsor Canada . But USA officer ask you one question that why you did not claim refugee case in USA ? Then if you reply that my wife first cousin lived in Canada and here USA there is no our any relitive then USA officer allowed you defiantly . But you should need some documents you show up your relation with your wife cousin , for example your cousin birth certificate which shows his father or mother name , and your wife birth certificate which shows her mom and dad names ( these documents shows that your wife parents are brothers or sisters) I hope you understand , if your wife's b- form and your cousin B-form is available then this is also good. One more thing copies of your Canadian cousin documents like passport , PR, citizenship card, driving etc . Officer will confirm that your wife and Canadian guy are first cousin then he allow you to come in Canada and claim refugee case at Canada border but one thing remember that your interview will held at the point of border cic immigration office so ready for that . Cic officer will ask you about your refugee claim question and ask you why you left your country then you answer him short story about your fear of claim of refugee. If your story is powerful and show up you have need of protection then he will give you landing paper for entrence of Canada and also give you final court hearing date maybe within two month. Then after two month you will appear at the Canada court and again your immigration justice will ask you about your refugee claim and if cic immigration office will satisfy then he will may be on the spot give you decision of your case . I have also visit visa of USA then I come at buffalo USA church where cic help office for those who wanna go to canada and claim on border of USA , so claim there and now I have PR of ca. Best of luck. Naveed

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
sarah1988 said:
Hi,
I am Iraqi nationality and I have already US tourism Visa I want to apply for Refugee with my family(me and wife and child) in USA-Canada Border(Detroit-windsor).
I have only a wife cousin and already outside Canada .
My questions.
1-can I apply in Canada border is they accept my case?
2-what is the documents require to apply for refugee.
3-How many time require to accept my case

Thanks,

Regards,
Out of curiosity, why don't you just apply for asylum in the US?