+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for New Work Permit at the Port of Entry - Help!

CindyP

Mar 3, 2024
Hello!

I am currently under BOWP but need to leave Canada in the next few days due to family emergency. The plan is to come back in about 2 weeks but my BOWP states that "If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working."
I read in the IRCC website https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=190&top=17 that one of the potential options is "You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry."
Could anyone tell me what the chances are for getting the new work permit at port of entry is? Will this be something complex? What should I prepare for doing this?
I am still employed and will be taking days off (not resign) for this emergency travel.

Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

I am currently under BOWP but need to leave Canada in the next few days due to family emergency. The plan is to come back in about 2 weeks but my BOWP states that "If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working."
I read in the IRCC website https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=190&top=17 that one of the potential options is "You may be asked to apply for a new work permit at the port of entry."
Could anyone tell me what the chances are for getting the new work permit at port of entry is? Will this be something complex? What should I prepare for doing this?
I am still employed and will be taking days off (not resign) for this emergency travel.

Thank you in advance!
Do you have a job offer and approved LMIA from your employer?

CindyP

Mar 3, 2024
Do you have a job offer and approved LMIA from your employer?
I am currently still employed and I have been working here for more than a year. I believe this is counted as job offer here?
I do not have LMIA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am currently still employed and I have been working here for more than a year. I believe this is counted as job offer here?
I do not have LMIA.
No, a job offer would be a written job offer from your employer.

On what basis would you be applying for a work permit at the border?

CindyP

Mar 3, 2024
No, a job offer would be a written job offer from your employer.

On what basis would you be applying for a work permit at the border?
For the written job offer, I did get a written job offer from my employer when I was offered the job a few years back. Is this the one I can use? Or do you mean they have to give me a new job offer? Sorry if I misunderstood this.

For applying work permit at the border it’s because I am under BOWP that mentions I can’t continue working if I leave the country before decision is made.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For the written job offer, I did get a written job offer from my employer when I was offered the job a few years back. Is this the one I can use? Or do you mean they have to give me a new job offer? Sorry if I misunderstood this.

For applying work permit at the border it’s because I am under BOWP that mentions I can’t continue working if I leave the country before decision is made.
I don't think you can apply for a BOWP at the border.

You might be able to apply for a closed work permit at the border if you had an approved LMIA.