+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for CEC, Express Entry or Spouse Sponsorship?

lomsky

Nov 15, 2011
Hi. Looking for some advice. Any help is appreciated. I really just wanted the opinion of others what they would do in my situation?

I was planning on sending my CEC application tomorrow , however I am now reassessing as I also have the option to apply for PR with my common law partner, as we've been together five years and living together three.

The reason I was originally going to go the route of CEC is that:
1) Ideally I would rather gain my PR without being dependent on my partner
2) The option of a bridging visa under the CEC system would mean I wouldn't face a period of being unable to work when my current work permit expires in September, though this wouldn't be the end of the world if only a few months.
3) The CEC application seemed to me a more straightforward application, as proving work experience is far more black and white than trying to gather the evidence to prove a common law relationship.

I have my application almost ready to go, but I gather many people are of the opinion that the quota may well already be effectively full, with the current backlog of applications already exceeding the quota. I was going to take the risk and send in the application regardless, but I am now having second thoughts as I presume even if the quota is full my application will sit in the office for months before being returned to me, leaving me unable to pursue any other options.

So I am now left wondering if it might be best to hold off making my CEC application now, assess if the express entry system could be good for me when it is properly rolled out in January and if not go down the route of common law sponsorship?

roberto_hongo

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
AOR Received.
13-01-2015
Med's Done....
Upfront on 30-07-2015
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2016
LANDED..........
23-05-2016
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
If my understanding is correct, I think you can apply with different categories at the same time, meaning you could file your application with CEC and simultaneously file another application with the Common Law. You can withdraw one of the applications if the other one is being processed faster.

Reactions: Tophele

yokies

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
AOR Received.
28-08-2014 and 09-09-2014
Med's Done....
18-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
27-12-2014
roberto_hongo said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
If my understanding is correct, I think you can apply with different categories at the same time, meaning you could file your application with CEC and simultaneously file another application with the Common Law. You can withdraw one of the applications if the other one is being processed faster.
Yes you can do that. I have applied under both CEC and Family Sponsorship.

Btw I agree with what you are saying lomsky by wanting to apply without being dependent on your partner. I really feel that way too. However the turnaround time for family sponsorship can be a lot quicker and I wanted to go the route where I have options and to see what happens.
The only thing with family sponsorship is that it can be time consuming collating the proof for the common law r/s. A lot more documents need to be provided for this application vs a CEC one.
I am not too familiar with the new express entry system though maybe check out their thread. It's a point system and I think CEC participants can be disadvantaged from my understanding of it anyway.

mazkelly

Jan 29, 2015
If you apply through both CEC and Spousal sponsorship do you still have to pay the $550 processing fee for both applications?

Leeeeeo

Dec 31, 2014
If you don't mind, would you please share your experience with the application under family sponsorship? I am married to a Canadian citizen, but I applied under CEC simply because I thought that CEC would be quicker. (I currently reside in Canada, and the current processing time stated on the CIC web is outrageously long.) I am however feeling stuck at the moment, because my recent GCMS notes suggest they haven't even started eligibility assessment yet -- btw, I filed my CEC application in mid April. I am now seriously considering filing another application under family sponsorship.

yokies said:
Yes you can do that. I have applied under both CEC and Family Sponsorship.

Btw I agree with what you are saying lomsky by wanting to apply without being dependent on your partner. I really feel that way too. However the turnaround time for family sponsorship can be a lot quicker and I wanted to go the route where I have options and to see what happens.
The only thing with family sponsorship is that it can be time consuming collating the proof for the common law r/s. A lot more documents need to be provided for this application vs a CEC one.
I am not too familiar with the new express entry system though maybe check out their thread. It's a point system and I think CEC participants can be disadvantaged from my understanding of it anyway.

yokies

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
AOR Received.
28-08-2014 and 09-09-2014
Med's Done....
18-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
27-12-2014
Leeeeeo said:
If you don't mind, would you please share your experience with the application under family sponsorship? I am married to a Canadian citizen, but I applied under CEC simply because I thought that CEC would be quicker. (I currently reside in Canada, and the current processing time stated on the CIC web is outrageously long.) I am however feeling stuck at the moment, because my recent GCMS notes suggest they haven't even started eligibility assessment yet -- btw, I filed my CEC application in mid April. I am now seriously considering filing another application under family sponsorship.
I think with family sponsorship it really depends on where you are from. I am from Australia so being from a visa exempt country really helped with the process. You can always check the visa office and the spreadsheet under the family class thread to give you an idea of how long it has taken other applicants... and applying outland is actually better because of the turnaround times too.
I unfortunately initially missed out on a document which delayed my process for the family class.
I applied in May but because of a missing document they took it as if it was received complete in July.
If I look at the timeframe from July up until I landed, I landed in December it was a 6mth process and now I'm a permanent resident.
I applied via CEC and they gave me an AOR I think last week and I am a September applicant. I did ask to have my application withdrawn but they still haven't done so.....
I did have to spend $550 on the CEC application and unfortunately I won't get my money back for that but that's the chance I took by applying under 2 categories. HTH

Boo135

Jul 13, 2013
Hi everyone,

I submitted a spousal sponsorship application (my boyfriend is sponsoring me, he's canadian i'm from the US) and two days later got my ITA for express entry. Im nearly finished with my express entry application and my boyfriend just got the AOR for the spousal application.

My question is: In the express entry application when they ask "Have you ever applied for PR before?"- Do I need to say yes to this now? or do I still say no because its my boyfriends application "on behalf" of me? in his AOR email he has a different UCI number than I do, should I include this as the UCI number if I say I have previously submitted a PR application?

Any advice would be GREAT, im tearing my hair out with immigration issues at this point. and of course the CIC call center has been "too busy to take your call" for DAYS.

Thanks so much

Boo135

Jul 13, 2013
I just realized they only ask for my specific UCI... so I guess I just give the file number for the spousal application.... or dont include it at all?..