+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for a family visit or tourism for my parents?

Emuman

Jun 7, 2022
Hello everyone,

My wife and I obtained PR last year. I am currently considering applying for a visitor visa for my parents in China.

Our family income in Canada is approximately $80,000, and we own a house where they will be accommodated most of the time during their visit.
Both of my parents are retired. They have $230,000 in variable deposits, $10,000 in debit card, and own 5 real estate properties in China. My mother would be the principal applicant. She has previously visited the United States with us in 2019, Japan in 2018, etc. However, my father has only traveled with my mother to Austria 20 years ago.

We are unsure whether they should apply for a family visit or tourism visa. They plan to stay for 2-4 months and visit several cities in Ontario.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello everyone,

My wife and I obtained PR last year. I am currently considering applying for a visitor visa for my parents in China.

Our family income in Canada is approximately $80,000, and we own a house where they will be accommodated most of the time during their visit.
Both of my parents are retired. They have $230,000 in variable deposits, $10,000 in debit card, and own 5 real estate properties in China. My mother would be the principal applicant. She has previously visited the United States with us in 2019, Japan in 2018, etc. However, my father has only traveled with my mother to Austria 20 years ago.

We are unsure whether they should apply for a family visit or tourism visa. They plan to stay for 2-4 months and visit several cities in Ontario.

There is only one type - visitor visa and they are coming to visit you.

Emuman

Jun 7, 2022
There is only one type - visitor visa and they are coming to visit you.
thank you. My question is, when considering the purpose of the visit, family visit and tourism have different document requirements for the application.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
thank you. My question is, when considering the purpose of the visit, family visit and tourism have different document requirements for the application.
So what is their purpose of visit. If visiting you then family visit. If for tourism, then they are applying with no mention of you, your status etc. They say they are coming to Canada for tourism but not coming to see you.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For family visit, you would have to provide an invitation letter to them.

Emuman

Jun 7, 2022
So what is their purpose of visit. If visiting you then family visit. If for tourism, then they are applying with no mention of you, your status etc. They say they are coming to Canada for tourism but not coming to see you.
This is exactly the dilemma I'm facing. There is definitely some purpose of family visit, as they will be staying at my house, spending time with their grandson, and then departing from Ottawa to explore the surrounding areas. I have the required documents for both options. My question is, which option is more likely to succeed, or does it actually not matter?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is exactly the dilemma I'm facing. There is definitely some purpose of family visit, as they will be staying at my house, spending time with their grandson, and then departing from Ottawa to explore the surrounding areas. I have the required documents for both options. My question is, which option is more likely to succeed, or does it actually not matter?
So then it is a family visit if staying with you. It is not for tourism and saying so will be suspicious as they are staying with you. There is no best option. They need to each show funds, ties to return, and travel history.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

Even if your parents are planning on staying at your house they need to show that they have the funds to house themselves because there are cases where family argue and are asked to stay elsewhere. There were visitors had no funds and no place to stay which is what Canada wants to avoid. There is a little more flexibility when it comes to parents sometimes but wouldn’t count on that. Liquid funds and then total assets are what is important for IRCC. Would also suggest that they purchase travel medical insurance because with an income 80k and owning a home there must be very little wiggle room in your budget to pay for any medical emergency.

TiniTan28

Star Member
May 9, 2022
Hello everyone,

you can say family visit, they can visit you and travel around with you
If it's tourism, that's mean that they don't know anyone in Canada. but they have you and visit you first, so it's family visit