+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied online (Germany). But what if I have no Study Permit before departure?

Berntprot

Aug 4, 2012
Hello.

unfortunately, my university in Canada sent me the letter of admission quite late. That's why I applied online for my visa just one week ago. The problem is that my flight is in about two weeks (the processing time of the embassy in Vienna is two weeks in average - so, it could work) and I may have to "improvise". Thus, two questions:

- Do you know if the Online (!) processing time is the same as the normal processing time by mail? Because official gc.ca website has two tables regarding processing times of study permits - one for "outside Canada" and one for "inside Canada". But only "inside Canada" states specific online processing times. But my Online application will be processed in Vienna (outside Canada) and not in Canada, right? So, I have to consider Vienna's processing time?

- And much more important: As a German I would be allowed to study in Canada up to 6 months without a Study Permit, right? Is there ANY CHANCE to combine this fact with my "nightmare" that my current Study Permit application will be processed too late (after my departure)? Btw: I will study for one year in Canada as a Visiting Student.
E.g. could I study the first half as a Visitor, then re-enter Canada with my Study Permit (that, hopefully, will have been processed succesfully) and go on studying? Or is there another chance to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Bernhard

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can only study without a study permit if the course/program itself is six months or less. Since your program is a year - that's not an option for you (to the best of my knowledge).

Having said that, I don't see why you can't come here as a tourist on your German passport and then once your study visa is approved (assuming it's approved before your schooling starts), you can drive to the closest land border, exit, turn around (without entering the US) and then enter back into Canada to validate your study permit. I think that's your best option if your study permit isn't approved before you leave.

Berntprot

Aug 4, 2012
Thanks for your answer! Well, this sounds possible. But I do not know if they let me in without having a return flight. I currently have just an one way flight - a flight back was not bookable back then (6 months in advance was the maximum). I guess this is a problem regarding "coming as a visitor".

I really do not know what to do. I will contact the embassy in Austria on Monday - but I am currently not that optimistic.

palatinmartin

Jun 19, 2013
Hey Berntprot,

I am German as well and I am currently facing quite similar problems. It seems possible that I might not get my study permit in time. I wonder how you managed this situation and would be grateful for any advice. Could you post how you got along? Or: can you send me an email to torben kornmann @ gmx. net? I would love to hear how you figured this out.

Tasleem

Jul 10, 2013
hi,

I also applied for the study permit june 24, and I am waiting for it too. Have you got you permit? If you have how many days it took for vienna office to process your application as my application is also stuck in vienna.

reply awaited.

thanks

Tim Armstrong

Aug 4, 2013
Hey guys,
I might face the same problem as you did last year, i.e. that my study permit might not arrive on time.
How did it turn out in your cases, and do you have any recommendations or advices for me if I will not get the study permit before I leave?
Thank you so much in advance for our replies. I am quite nervous right now.

Greets,
Tim

Anna13

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hey guys, I am glad to finally read that they are more Germans here in this forum.
I have the same problem. I applied for my visa online over the cic website on june 20th. I am still waiting for my permit.
I wrote vienna and they told me that my visa is being processed in canada not in vienna as i thought. I send it online so i was never sure where they process it. On the cic website it states that they are processing in right now. I am still hoping every day to get. My school already wants to give my seat away because it takes so long.
I find it really frustrating. Please also keep me updated when you get your visas. I hope we get it all in time. Good luck to us all.

Anna13

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hey,
Tim Armstrong and Torben, when did you apply for your visa?
Did you apply online over cic website?

Doda

May 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I just attended McGill's online orientation and they specifically warned students about going to canada first as tourists. At the point of entry you'll be asked about the purpose of visiting canada. If you answer studying, you'll be turned back because your permit is still pending decision. If you'll answer as a tourist, you'll be also turned back as they will cross check your name and passport and find a pending student application on their database.

Tim Armstrong

Aug 4, 2013
Hi Anna 13,
I have applied for the study permit via mail (and via this company from Dusseldorf which checks and proceeds the application to Vienna) in the beginning of July. I could not apply any time sooner, since I had to wait for my letter of acceptance.
However, it took them almost three weeks until my application was processed to Vienna, where it currently seems to be.
Hence, I guess I won't receive the study permit on time...

I guess a slight alleviation (although it is quite contradictory) might be this statement from the "canadainternational" office:

"5. Can I enter Canada as a visitor before my study permit has been issued?

If you are a visa-exempt national, we cannot hinder you to travel to Canada before obtaining your work/study permit. However, we strongly advise against it. You may be refused entry into Canada. A study permit can only be issued upon entering Canada from outside. Even if we issue you with a permit letter, you will, nonetheless, have to leave Canada and re-enter to have your study permit validated."

My plan is consequently to leave Canada by going to the States during the first 6 months and to validate my study permit by re-entering.
However, there is still the question whether I should book a flight in advance in order to make them believe that I will leave Canada within six months, as it is required for tourists.

Anna13

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi Tim,
So complicated. That sucks that Düesseldorf took so long. The problem is you are not allowed to study till your visa is there and they can always deny your visa, which I don't hope. Thats why I am waiting to buy the flight. I don't want to pay all that money.
You probably could enter as a tourist but you need a return flight.
Where are you going to study?

Tim Armstrong

Aug 4, 2013
I am going to study at Carleton University in Ottawa. They have already reacted to the world-wide delay of the visa due to the strike and allow the future exchange students to arrive three weeks later. Hence, I am currently thinking about cancelling my original flight and waiting till my study permit will hopefully arrive, so that I can enter Canada with it.

The second option I am pondering is to cancel my second term (the winter term) so that I do not need the study permit at all. By doing so, I could take my original flight, but would then have to negotiate to extend my stay during the first term.

I do not know what sounds more reasonable. Any clue?

What about you? Where are you going to study and what are you up to?

Anna13

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Hi,
when did you actually book your original flight? Maybe your visa will be there on time. I think probably better to change your flight than to shorten your studies.
I will be going to VCC in Vancouver.

Anyone else any news on the visa process?
Good night

Tasleem

Jul 10, 2013
Anna..I am sorry I cannot send personal msg as I dont have sufficient rights. ...I also have not got my visa yet I applied 24 june via vfs in Düsseldorf. I got an email from embassy 2 days back that they are doing background verification. And they dont know the time it will take for the background verification to finish. .so I am waiting