Applied for PGWP with Restoration of Study Permit

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
Hey!

Is anyone in the same boat? Study permit expired right after final exam and applied for restoration within 2 months along with PGWP.

Let me know please!

Thank you

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
hi any update??? i am in the same boat except i am really stressed about one thing.. when i applied for my PGWP + restoration of status ($605 total) i did not also apply to extend my study permit. i ONLY paid for restoration of status to a student , and did PGWP application... i am worried that for this reason i will be refused

Study permit expired: May 30th
Applied PGWP + restoration of status: June 11

no update til now

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hi any update??? i am in the same boat except i am really stressed about one thing.. when i applied for my PGWP + restoration of status ($605 total) i did not also apply to extend my study permit. i ONLY APPLIED for restoration of status to a student , PGWP application... i am worried that for this reason i will be refused

no update til now
You did it correct. All you can do is wait. Assume you have not been working. You are within processing times of about 4 months so you should get response in or around mid October.

If your study permit expires before you apply

If you don’t change your status to visitor and your study permit expires, you have up to 90 daysafter your study permit expires to apply for a PGWP and restore your status as a student.

To restore your status as a student, you must

• apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255) and
  • pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($350)
You can’t work until your study permit and work permit have been approved.

Reactions: Joey_C

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
You did it correct. All you can do is wait. Assume you have not been working. You are within processing times of about 4 months so you should get response in or around mid October.

If you don’t change your status to visitor and your study permit expires, you have up to 90 daysafter your study permit expires to apply for a PGWP and restore your status as a student.

hey i am glad you are saying this but i was reading that i would also have to apply for extension of study permit as that would give me a valid study permit for PGWP acceptance... my issue is i paid the correct fees and submitted the right PGWP application but i did not submit an additional extension of study permit application. check this post:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/graduated-permit-expired-restoration-pgwp-out-of-status.505741/#post-6399519

they are saying in this whole thread that what i did was basically wrong and will likely be refused because i did not do the 4th thing which is a separate application to extend my study permit. i only have my work permit application with the receipt of the restoration of status fee attached in my application. the one starting in W30 etc... i imagine the student permit one which begins with S(numbers) is the one i am missing, no?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hey i am glad you are saying this but i was reading that i would also have to apply for extension of study permit as that would give me a valid study permit for PGWP acceptance... my issue is i paid the correct fees and submitted the right PGWP application but i did not submit an additional extension of study permit application. check this post:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/graduated-permit-expired-restoration-pgwp-out-of-status.505741/#post-6399519

they are saying in this whole thread that what i did was basically wrong and will likely be refused because i did not do the 4th thing which is a separate application to extend my study permit. i only have my work permit application with the receipt of the restoration of status fee attached in my application. the one starting in W30 etc... i imagine the student permit one which begins with S(numbers) is the one i am missing, no?
Why are you looking at posts that are over 6 years old. That thread is from 2017 so 6 years ago. Processes change.

Reactions: keyboat1

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
That thread is from 2017 so 6 years ago. Processes change.
this is the most relieving thing i heard so far.

here is what is concerning me. this is recent and up-to-date
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5551-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada.html#restoration

If you wish to obtain a new study or work permit and restore your temporary resident status, you must

• submit your application within 90 days of losing your status
  • provide full details of all the facts and circumstances that resulted in you committing the offence
  • keep meeting the requirements for your stay
  • meet all the conditions listed on your permit, and
  • pay the restoration fee ($200)

that means i should have submitted the APPLICATION for extension of study permit in order to be accepted for pgwp?

in the post that i linked
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/urgent-help-restoration-of-status-and-pgwp-refused.385090/

"
You may apply for restoration if, within 90 days from the expiry of your temporary resident status
you submit:
 a completed application form;
"

although it is also an older thread

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
anyone here can help me? one thing that is making me feel a bit better is that it has been over 3 months since i applied now (i received Letter of Completion and Transcript for PGWP and applied on june 11th) so it feels like i have a much lesser chance of being rejected.
my main concern is I did not apply to extend my study permit i only paid the $350 restoration fee. and now it has been over 90 days since i graduated.

this is from government website in the link above it takes you to payment of fee page but i am worried that i am not only supposed to pay this fee but also apply to extend my study permit. i am really worried guys

keyboat1

Jul 21, 2019
hi any update??? i am in the same boat except i am really stressed about one thing.. when i applied for my PGWP + restoration of status ($605 total) i did not also apply to extend my study permit. i ONLY paid for restoration of status to a student , and did PGWP application... i am worried that for this reason i will be refused

no update til now
just to clarify i only PAID for restoration of status ($350) i did not apply to extend my study permit when it expired. i attached the receipt to my pgwp online application as mentioned on the website but the main thing concerning me is i did not apply to extend my INITIAL permit which means that i had invalid status when applying for pgwp which makes me ineligible right? i am beyond 90 days now so i cant apply to extend my expired study permit now..

Last edited:

Afoxx

Feb 15, 2021
Calgary
Help someone….Last week my TRV got approved, and when I went to Canada Post last night to mail it, I quickly googled the address on my phone and wrote it down in the envelope. I found out this morning that I wrote down the same “TO and FROM” address on both envelopes

Any advice on what should I do?

Sopunuchi

Star Member
Sep 19, 2018
@keyboat1 can you give me your phone number ? i am in the exact same issue as you were in. i started studying in february 2021 and finished from Bcit marketing management course on august 2023. my study permit paper says it expires March 2024 but i know i had till Fabruary 2024( 180 days from august 2023 to apply) to apply but here is the thing that messed me up, i just realized that mu study permit expires automatically 90 days from the day you get your final grades which was august 24th 2023 in my case. so now i am out of status even if the paper study permit says march 2024 and 180 days is due february 2th 2024. so now what do i do ? i was considering going for flagpoling but i need to have status to be able to do that. so i started thinking of applying for visitor and going to do it. but my problem now is my passport expires June 2024 and i have been working since august 2023 so now i need to quit before i do anything. Please help

Joey_C

Feb 14, 2024
update: i got it approved oct 24th 2023
Hey, big congrats and thanks for sharing! May I ask what did you choose in the IMM5710 Form-Q3:
Question 3
Check the appropriate box or boxes to indicate if you are applying for:
  • A work permit with the same employer
  • An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
  • Restoration of your status as a worker
  • An initial or an extension of a temporary resident permit
And the Personal details-Q7:
Question 7
From the list, select the appropriate information to indicate your immigration status in Canada:

• Citizen
  • Permanent resident
  • Visitor
  • Worker
  • Student
  • Other
  • Protected Person
  • Refugee Claimant
  • Foreign National
Other: This section must be completed if you selected “Other” as a status.

Provide the dates (From-To) to indicate how long you have had this status.

For out-of-status applicants:

• Under “Status” select “Other”;
  • Under “Other” type in “Out of status, requires restoration”;
  • Leave the “From” and “To” boxes blank.
Thank you very much!

risamue

Feb 7, 2024
Hey!

Is anyone in the same boat? Study permit expired right after final exam and applied for restoration within 2 months along with PGWP.

Let me know please!

Thank you

hey same situation. did you get your status restored and work permit. How long did it take for you. Please reply