+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for a student visa but enrolled in another program

May 1, 2023
Hello,
I recently submitted my application for a study permit for Sept 2023. The thing is, before deciding to study in Canada, I applied for an online course through a government program. They took FOREVER to get started and I got frustrated and did not sign the final contract. Surprisingly, I still got enrolled and I sat in on a few classes. Will this affect my chances of getting the visa if IRCC discovers that I am enrolled in this program? I did not mention it as I didn't plan to continue and I would have attempted to clear up the enrollment issue, but I actually like it so far and the classes are scheduled with only one class, four times a week, at night. If I decide to continue, I can certainly do both. College in Canada during the day. Online classes at night. Would this be a problem?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello,
I recently submitted my application for a study permit for Sept 2023. The thing is, before deciding to study in Canada, I applied for an online course through a government program. They took FOREVER to get started and I got frustrated and did not sign the final contract. Surprisingly, I still got enrolled and I sat in on a few classes. Will this affect my chances of getting the visa if IRCC discovers that I am enrolled in this program? I did not mention it as I didn't plan to continue and I would have attempted to clear up the enrollment issue, but I actually like it so far and the classes are scheduled with only one class, four times a week, at night. If I decide to continue, I can certainly do both. College in Canada during the day. Online classes at night. Would this be a problem?
No, not a problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Just to clarify the online course is in your home country. If you have already started the course you should really be adding it to your education history via IRCC webform. This is especially important if you plan on using the program for points or on future applications.

May 1, 2023
Just to clarify the online course is in your home country. If you have already started the course you should really be adding it to your education history via IRCC webform. This is especially important if you plan on using the program for points or on future applications.
Thank you for replying. Just for clarification, I'll have to mention or only for the sake of claiming points at a later date?