+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application returned because of language requirements. Confused.

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
I submitted my IELTS resuls from 2009 (taken in India) and my application was returned saying it was not complete. I am pretty sure it said it is valid in the last 10 years. May be because it was not from Canada?

1. Anyways, I am sending my unofficial score from CELPIP (the one I took for PR in 2013) and I am sending my certificate of completion for MBA in Canada from 2012.Does this suffice? I don't want to make any mistake again and also don't want to take another English test.

2. Send the package without any changes to the date on the application? (so return it as it is with extra documents)

Thanks guys.
Azuman

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
I do not have original copy of IELTS result as it was submitted at the time PR application and now i got test invite for citizenship application. Is it ok to show copy of IELTS incase if he asked me lang. proof ?

Well, maybe the officer lost your IELTS copy. Mine was from 2009 as well.

Kan_Sri

Champion Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
Mar 05-2014
I am sorry to hear that. you can send expired results - plz see below from the cic website. May i ask when did you apply?

Results from a third-party language test

Your language test result must be equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC)/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 or higher in speaking and listening. If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
I do not have original copy of IELTS result as it was submitted at the time PR application and now i got test invite for citizenship application. Is it ok to show copy of IELTS incase if he asked me lang. proof ?
How shall we have originals? It's 9 years. I do not have as well. I hope @razerblade or @spyfy can help us in that. I thought originals are not needed during the interview!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
How shall we have originals? It's 9 years. I do not have as well. I hope @razerblade or @spyfy can help us in that. I thought originals are not needed during the interview!
It is a requirement to carry originals of ALL documents that were submitted with the citizenship application to the interview. As to whether it will be checked or not, depends on the officer who will be interviewing us. In most cases, they do not ask to see originals of the language proof, however it is totally within their right to.

I'm not sure if photocopy will suffice.

I submitted my IELTS resuls from 2009 (taken in India) and my application was returned saying it was not complete. I am pretty sure it said it is valid in the last 10 years. May be because it was not from Canada?

1. Anyways, I am sending my unofficial score from CELPIP (the one I took for PR in 2013) and I am sending my certificate of completion for MBA in Canada from 2012.Does this suffice? I don't want to make any mistake again and also don't want to take another English test.

2. Send the package without any changes to the date on the application? (so return it as it is with extra documents)

Thanks guys.
Azuman
Did they say what was incomplete ? Was your IELTS academic or general ? Expired General IELTS results are accepted, however the guide has a caveat that the expired results should have previously been used for immigration purposes in Canada. Not sure if they enforce it. Was your IELTS taken for immigration purposes in 2009 ?

Last edited:

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
I applied on October 18th, 2018.

Yeah I am confused because I know expired results are accepted, so I don't know why it got returned. I also scored very high on the test + the application says I have an MBA from Canada. I am little disappointed that they did not ask for paperwork instead of sending the entire package back. I guess I will have to now give them a shout and clarify before sending anything. What do you guys think?

What can I send without taking the test again? I am thinking transcripts, course completion for MBA and unofficial CELPIP.

Azuman

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
I applied on October 18th, 2018.

Yeah I am confused because I know expired results are accepted, so I don't know why it got returned. I also scored very high on the test + the application says I have an MBA from Canada. I am little disappointed that they did not ask for paperwork instead of sending the entire package back. I guess I will have to now give them a shout and clarify before sending anything. What do you guys think?

What can I send without taking the test again? I am thinking transcripts, course completion for MBA and unofficial CELPIP.

Azuman
If you studied in Canada, then a copy of your degree or official transcripts are more than enough for language proof. I'm surprised they didn't mention what was incomplete. All returned applications have a cover letter explaining what was missing.

Are you sure nothing else was missing ?

From the guide,

You attended or are currently attending a secondary or post-secondary education program in English or French, either in Canada or abroad.

• A degree, diploma, certificate or official transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary education program showing you studied in English or French, in Canada or abroad

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Sorry the reason it says is because
"the language requirement is not on the list of acceptable evidence"

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yeah I am just going to send the transcripts from my MBA and return the application. Hopefully that will suffice even though it clearly says they will take IELTS even it is expired. I am going to chalk this one up to quirks of bureaucracy.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Sorry the reason it says is because
"the language requirement is not on the list of acceptable evidence"
I see. Did you take IELTS general or academic ? Did you take it for your PR or university admission ?

If it's IELTS general and used for immigration purposes previously, i would think that the officer made a mistake. Wouldn't be the first time.

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
From the instruction guide..
Examples of third-party tests include:

• Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking).
    • If you took the test after April 1, 2014, you must have a score of level 4 or higher in listening and speaking.
    • If you took the test before April 1, 2014, you must have a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version You must have a score of:
    • 4.0 or higher in speaking and
    • 4.5 or higher in listening. (Note: If the test was done before November 28, 2008, we will accept a level 4 or higher)

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
I see. Did you take IELTS general or academic ? Did you take it for your PR or university admission ?

If it's IELTS general and used for immigration purposes previously, i would think that the officer made a mistake. Wouldn't be the first time.
You are right. The IELTS document has the "ACADEMIC" highlighted by the officer. I took it for my MBA requirements. So I guess they don't take results taken for academic purposes?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
You are right. The IELTS document has the "ACADEMIC" highlighted. I took it for my MBA requirements. So I guess they don't take results taken for academic purposes?
There are two versions of IELTS, one is general and the other is academic. The test content is different for the two. They do not accept academic for immigration purposes, only general.

From what you quoted:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS), general training, not the academic version

azuman

Star Member
Aug 8, 2013
Sounds good . I did not know that. Will send back the application with the transcripts from my MBA and hopefully that will suffice. Thanks razerblade :)