+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application refused - ECA not provided

eddie_in_NL

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I've submitted my application yesterday, today i received the following message:

"Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) has assessed your application for permanent residence. We have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of a complete application as described in sections 10 and 12.01 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. Your application is rejected for being incomplete.
Specifically, your application does not include the following elements:
- Proof of education
You must submit an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) to support your Education documents.
Note: A full review of your application was not performed. There may be other elements, not identified above, which may also be missing or incomplete."

I do not understand what went wrong. I had an ECA done and entered the number in the system, otherwise i would not have the points to qualify for the ITA. They never requested a copy of the ECA to be submitted, so i don't understand this message.

I've a Master's degree and have only done the ECA for this degree, as this is the highest one and the one responsible for giving me the points. Should i have done for the BSc as well ?

I did not provide an ECA for my wife, but did not claim any points either. Would that be the reason ? (in which case, what should i have done ?)

Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong ?

Is there anyway i can check ? Should i submit a case specific enquiry ? what are my chances of success ?

I'm extremely disappointed as it took me almost 2 months to collect all the documents, and apparently my only option is to enter the pool again and hope the scores drop again (had 465, now 460 due to my birthday). If i'm not invited soon, will have to gather all police certificates again :(

any help is most appreciated

eddie_in_NL

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What am I missing ? It does not ask for the copy of the ECA, only the number, doesn't it ? Same as with the IELTS (or so I thought...

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
I have to wonder if the ECA should be done for both degrees because in the Skills Transferability section you're given points for two or more degrees. Whatever you get points for must be assessed.

Be thankful that it happened so soon after you submitted, you could have waited 3 months to hear awful news. Good luck!

AAlhadka

Mar 6, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry about that - you should try and submit a CSE with the ECA if you already have it... nothing to lose

wifedoctor

Apr 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2015
AOR Received.
17-06-2015
Med's Done....
02-07-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
My understanding is you should submit the ECA with your original diplomas under education.

No ECA = incomplete
ECA without original diploma = also incomplete

Anya654

May 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
YamPower said:
I have to wonder if the ECA should be done for both degrees because in the Skills Transferability section you're given points for two or more degrees. Whatever you get points for must be assessed.

Be thankful that it happened so soon after you submitted, you could have waited 3 months to hear awful news. Good luck!
He didn't say he claimed points for 2 or more post study degrees, he said he claimed points for his highest qualification which is his Master's degree. Besides you get more points for a Master's degree than for 2 or more post secondary. My guess is that he entered his ECA no incorrectly or they weren't able to locate his report using the no he provided or worse still the number just wiped off. It's because of situations like this that it's advisable for one to still upload their ECA and IELTS docs although CIC doesn't specifically ask for these to be uploaded. He should open a CSE and also get back into the pool. My apologies.

cseeker

Apr 3, 2014
Ottawa
Visa Office......
Inland
Sorry about that!

However, I would like to point out one thing that is very prevalent in many discussions i:e "Getting ECA done for the highest degree only" does not mean that one needs to get accreditation done for the highest degree only. WES for instance has different requirements for different countries and boards/universities within those countries. While in some countries they just require validation of masters degree whereas in some they require validation of Bachelors + Masters both. Point is that it is best to refer to the guidelines of the agency that is being approached rather than assuming that just the highest degree is required. This is just based on my experience with WES and I mean no offence to anyone.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
eddie_in_NL said:
- Proof of education
You must submit an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) to support your Education documents.
This appears to be the (misleading) generic message you get if any of your educational documents are missing. eddie_in_NL, did you provide copies of your degrees/diplomas, transcripts...?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

Proof of Studies - Document requirements

To receive program-specific points for education, the applicant must either
- provide proof of having completed a Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational program; or
- obtain an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and provide the ECA reference number in their application, along with -proof of the foreign educational credentials for which points are being claimed.

Proof of completed Canadian or foreign educational credentials can include copies of
- secondary or post-secondary education documents (certificates, diplomas or degrees); and
- transcripts for successfully completed secondary or post-secondary studies, if available.

Where an ECA has been obtained, the applicant must provide the ECA reference number in their e-APR for online validation directly with the issuing organization.

A scanned copy of the ECA is not required when submitting the e-APR but may be requested by CIC at a later date.

eddie_in_NL

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I eventually figured out how to review the submitted application and think I figured out what happened.

I believed the information did not transfer out from the express entry profile to the application itself. On the EE profile, the ECA is there with all the correct information. On the application, it is answered "no" to the question asking if I have an ECA for this degree.

I probably overlooked this and did not check if all the information was transferred correctly, just assumed it was.
In this case, I believe it would have been refused even if I had uploaded the ECA.

This will cost me 500$ To get all police certificates again, unless I receive another ITA soon. And if takes longer, I may need to redo IELTS or even Medicals, etc...

Right now, I'm hoping this is the only mistake I had done, because I learned my lesson: check and double check everything again and again. Do not assume the information transferred automatically is correct. If you have a friend or colleague you can ask, please have then review it as well before you submit.

Good luck to us all

rigel

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear about all the troubles you are going through. But do tell what degree were you referring to (masters/bachelors), when you said this.

eddie_in_NL said:
I believed the information did not transfer out from the express entry profile to the application itself. On the EE profile, the ECA is there with all the correct information. On the application, it is answered "no" to the question asking if I have an ECA for this degree.

Also the ECA number, was it just a seven digit number you put in, or a seven digit number followed by some letters like 1234567/xx ?

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eddie_in_NL said:
It has the letters IMM at the end, so 1234567IMM
yep - my written report has IMM suffix, however I have just logged in the WES and reference number there is only 7-digit, without suffix... which one to use?

eddie_in_NL

Star Member
Jul 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rigel said:
Sorry to hear about all the troubles you are going through. But do tell what degree were you referring to (masters/bachelors), when you said this
I am referring to the Masters degree. I have not done an ECA for the bachelors, I believe only the highest degree is required if the ECA is positive. I'm aware there are different opinions on this subject though, others advocate for an ECA for both degrees to be safe.

Anyway, just for info, I submitted a CSE asking to reconsider my application since the information is in the EE profile, and attached the ECA and a screenshot of the EE profile showing it. I do not have high hopes, as they can always say it is my obligation to check all the information on the submitted application. Doesn't hurt to ask (kindly) though.

I also created a new EE profile, just in case there is a new draw soon. Disappointing to see that one needs to start from scratch and fill in everything again when all the information is there already.

boske83

Star Member
Dec 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eddie_in_NL said:
I am referring to the Masters degree. I have not done an ECA for the bachelors, I believe only the highest degree is required if the ECA is positive. I'm aware there are different opinions on this subject though, others advocate for an ECA for both degrees to be safe.

Anyway, just for info, I submitted a CSE asking to reconsider my application since the information is in the EE profile, and attached the ECA and a screenshot of the EE profile showing it. I do not have high hopes, as they can always say it is my obligation to check all the information on the submitted application. Doesn't hurt to ask (kindly) though.

I also created a new EE profile, just in case there is a new draw soon. Disappointing to see that one needs to start from scratch and fill in everything again when all the information is there already.
I did the same as you... Sent CSE with all documents scanned - degree and eca report, and kindly asked CIC to reconsider their decision. In the meantime - I have created a new EE profile and sitting in the pool again... I hope we will either have our apps reopened, or at least receive new ITA soon...

MCB19

Mar 15, 2015
I feel sorry for what happen about the refusal of ur application.
Now i get worried mine was never Done ECA for My education,as i was understood if ur in CEC or Skilled trade program under EE ECA is optional.
Can somebody confirm it With me is there anyone has Done same on mine.
My application status:
EE application -feb 15
ITA received -feb 27
PR app submitted-Aprl 18
AOR thru automated-april 18
Apply BOWP -April 27

Online application
Reviewer of eligibility- in Progress
Medical-passed
Document submitted-not needed this time
BG check -in progress
Final decision-not started

My ecas has 3line
Received app.
Process ur PR app.
Medical received

Till now no update on My BOWP im on implied status right now and My permit xpired june 4 i got worried if on My PR app.because i read some of the Thread got declined due incomplete req.
The question in PR application asking"If u Done ECA for last 5 yrs " answer no since i didnt get any points on My education,can somebody advice me.

Thank u in advance
Goodluck to everyone