+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
The date of this stamp is not within 5 years eligibility ,you do not need to worry about it
Incorrect!

You are submitting ALL the pages of the passport with your citizenship application. IRCC clearly says that if there is something that is NOT in English or French, then you must get a certified translation for it. You can't pick and choose which stamps you want to translate or not. If there is a stamp from the passport that was put there 9 years ago and it is not in English or French, you have to provide a translation for it.

colour photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
Here's what they say about the translation.

Translation of documents

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
Here's the document checklist :

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0007e-2.pdf

The document checklist doesn't say anywhere that you don't have to translate stamps that are outside the eligibility period. When you are providing ALL pages of the passport, everything within that passport that is not in English or French MUST be translated.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi ,
I have question about the validation of the application ,can I validate and print before the date of the application? I knew that I have to print the presence calculator on the same day!thanks
I don't think you can do that because you can't put a future date on the "Date" field towards the end of the application, can you? I am not very sure about the new application forms, maybe someone who applied recently can help.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Incorrect!

You are submitting ALL the pages of the passport with your citizenship application. IRCC clearly says that if there is something that is NOT in English or French, then you must get a certified translation for it. You can't pick and choose which stamps you want to translate or not. If there is a stamp from the passport that was put there 9 years ago and it is not in English or French, you have to provide a translation for it.

Here's what they say about the translation.

Here's the document checklist :

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/citizen/cit0007e-2.pdf

The document checklist doesn't say anywhere that you don't have to translate stamps that are outside the eligibility period. When you are providing ALL pages of the passport, everything within that passport that is not in English or French MUST be translated.
I called IRCC this morning as my situation is the same , I have one stamp not within 5 years eligibility on expired passport and I have been told you do not have to translate it . My daughter called again and they told her same answer .

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
I don't think you can do that because you can't put a future date on the "Date" field towards the end of the application, can you? I am not very sure about the new application forms, maybe someone who applied recently can help.
Yes with adult application but can not validate the minor application before, should be on the same day as there is no presence calculator for them.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I called IRCC this morning as my situation is the same , I have one stamp not within 5 years eligibility on expired passport and I have been told you do not have to translate it . My daughter called again and they told her same answer .
Well, okay - good luck then. I don't see that information being consistent with whatever is in the instruction guide nor with the general practice of translation of documents but if you are satisfied with IRCC's response, then follow that.

Good luck, please keep us posted on how it goes.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi, this is not my passport's stamp. I just found an example so I shared it. I have a similar stamp.
Better to call IRCC , the date on your stamp in English and other information in Arabic, mine all informations are in English and the date in Arabic.

Mischa90

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Hi,

I have a question regarding the physical presence calculator.

I moved to Canada in July 2017 as a visitor then received my work permit in July 2018 and my PR in Feb 2019. Since landing in July 2017 I ahve not lect Canada.

How do I answer this question:

Did you leave Canada between 2016-07-07 and 2021-07-06? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.

I was living in Europe from 2016-07-07 until 2017-07-07 and I visited Canada for 3 weeks in May of 2017 before moving here. Should I answer yes and list where I lived in Europe prior to landing and include my 3 week visit in May 2017?

Thank you.

Momo2010

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
The translator stapled the translation of the passport stamps and the passport pages copies with a staple … should I remove this staple and replace with paper clip or leave it stapled as received from the translator .
Thanks.
@rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
The translator stapled the translation of the passport stamps and the passport pages copies with a staple … should I remove this staple and replace with paper clip or leave it stapled as received from the translator .
Thanks.
@rajkamalmohanram
Generally, AFAIK, people only have been using paper clips when sending documents to IRCC. If you can safely remove the staple without damaging the document, you should be fine.

wink

May 25, 2021
The IRCC website still seems to suggest that processing time for Citizenship application is 12 months. Say someone submits a paper application today, is this timeline still reasonable/sensible (assuming routine processing), considering backlog and other things (like Covid related delays)? Based on many discussion thread in this forum, my assessment is it would take minimum of 16 months. Is my understanding correct (again, assuming typical application and routine processing)? Just to keep anxiety under control :). Thanks.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi,

I have a question regarding the physical presence calculator.

I moved to Canada in July 2017 as a visitor then received my work permit in July 2018 and my PR in Feb 2019. Since landing in July 2017 I ahve not lect Canada.

How do I answer this question:

Did you leave Canada between 2016-07-07 and 2021-07-06? Answer 'Yes' if you left Canada for any reason including vacation, work, business, family matters, school, illness, etc.

I was living in Europe from 2016-07-07 until 2017-07-07 and I visited Canada for 3 weeks in May of 2017 before moving here. Should I answer yes and list where I lived in Europe prior to landing and include my 3 week visit in May 2017?

Thank you.
You have to answer "Yes" to that question because you would have also answered "Yes" to "Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between 2016-07-07 and <the date you became a PR>.

Just to clarify, you came here in May 2017, left Canada and then returned to Canada on 2017-07-08 - Is this understanding correct?

lasac

Jul 7, 2021
Hi, I have a question regarding the police certificate.
I became a PR when I landed in Oct 2017, I only stayed for one week in Canada & returned to my country of origin & stayed there till I moved to Canada permanently in July 2018.
Do I need a police certificate from my country of origin in this case?

Thanks

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, I have a question regarding the police certificate.
I became a PR when I landed in Oct 2017, I only stayed for one week in Canada & returned to my country of origin & stayed there till I moved to Canada permanently in July 2018.
Do I need a police certificate from my country of origin in this case?

Thanks
Yes.