Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

wink

May 25, 2021
I followed the Guide which told me to send the application to the address:

Case Processing Centre-Sydney
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

and I wrote the exact address on the envelope and sent.

But later on realized that there is no mention of "Citizenship Grants" here. Will create problem? Worried whether it will reach the right department/person. I see that address in the application form mentions this, but I did not notice at that time.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I have been travelling between Canada (with PR card) and US (H1B) via land border and don't have stamps on my passport for each entry/exit. Not sure how this is going to affect my application.
You can't submit what you don't have so that's okay. You might be asked for an I-94 so keep that ready, just in case.

alex the king

Jun 24, 2017
Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-07-2016
AOR Received.
14-11-2016
Med's Request
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
11-01-2017
Passport Req..
27-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-11-2017
LANDED..........
24-12-2017
I followed the Guide which told me to send the application to the address:

Case Processing Centre-Sydney
49 Dorchester Street
Sydney, Nova Scotia
B1P 5Z2

and I wrote the exact address on the envelope and sent.

But later on realized that there is no mention of "Citizenship Grants" here. Will create problem? Worried whether it will reach the right department/person. I see that address in the application form mentions this, but I did not notice at that time.

If you followed the Guide you don't see GRANTS Adults in the Address, but you see the same in the Last Page of the Updated application where you signed on the Last Page , below the Signature it will be written Next steps and in twio BIG Squares the Address is printed.

At this Point I don't think you will be having any trouble, Other than the Specified Line there is no change in the address, so it will reach the Right Office and department (At this Point you can have this Positive Hope instead of keeping yourself in STRESS-for 2 more Months).

Wish you Good Luck.

I Hope everything would be fine.

wink

May 25, 2021
If you followed the Guide you don't see GRANTS Adults in the Address, but you see the same in the Last Page of the Updated application where you signed on the Last Page , below the Signature it will be written Next steps and in twio BIG Squares the Address is printed.

At this Point I don't think you will be having any trouble, Other than the Specified Line there is no change in the address, so it will reach the Right Office and department (At this Point you can have this Positive Hope instead of keeping yourself in STRESS-for 2 more Months).

Wish you Good Luck.

I Hope everything would be fine.
Thank you.

shmak2016

Sep 2, 2016
I need to apply and still confused should I apply online mode or paper application?

What is advise based on current trend ?

Candidpnp

Jul 4, 2017
Hello ,

can anyone offer guidance on paper application PRINTING PROCESS, planning to send my application shortly.

When we print the application form :

1. do we leave the DATE OF APPLICATION EMPTY? and take a print AND ONLY after taking the print - SIGN and date the form USING PEN ? Please confirm ( Will we be able to validate and generate barcode if we leave the date of application empty to be hand signed and dated ?) please let me know

2.I will be going to Staples to print my application form and physical presence calculator -

IS it ok to take a print out 1 week -10 days prior to actual date of sending the application by courier ?

OR

is it mandatory to ensure this application form and physical calculator are printed only on the day you are sending it across?

please let me know what is the correct approach.

Thank you

andulka

Star Member
Jul 2, 2021
So we need to send "Colour photocopy of all pages in your passport(s) during your five (5) year eligibility period" along with the application. I took it light and printed only biographical, stamps and visa pages.
Please confirm all empty pages of the passport (s) should also be printed and attached to the application.
Is this an old requirement or a new one?
Should we translate all visas and stamps that are not in English?

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Should we translate all visas and stamps that are not in English?
Every document you have to include in your application that is not in French or English has to be translated, and IRCC makes it very clear here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

That being said, the rule is the rule, but whether you'll need the rule is another story. In practice, someone who reads French or English has no problem interpreting many European stamps, but may have trouble with completely different alphabets, so if you didn't include a translation beforehand, you may only be asked to translate some of those supporting docs but not others, even if the rule for a stamp written in Spanish and Arabic are the same.

Shore1

May 23, 2021
Every document you have to include in your application that is not in French or English has to be translated, and IRCC makes it very clear here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/removal-risk-assessment/translation.html

That being said, the rule is the rule, but whether you'll need the rule is another story. In practice, someone who reads French or English has no problem interpreting many European stamps, but may have trouble with completely different alphabets, so if you didn't include a translation beforehand, you may only be asked to translate some of those supporting docs but not others, even if the rule for a stamp written in Spanish and Arabic are the same.
Do we only need to get those stamps translated that are in the 5 year eligibility period? Or do we have to get every stamp on all our previous passports translated? If only in the last 5 years, what if someone moved to canada in 2018 on PR and hasn't left since then, so the eligibility criteria is met in the last 3 years, do they still need to translate stamps from 2017 or earlier?

Last edited:

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Do we only need to get those stamps translated that are in the 5 year eligibility period? Or do we have to get every stamp on all our previous passports translated?
Every page that is not in English or French in all passports that were valid during the 5 year eligibility period.

Shore1

May 23, 2021
I don't have a driver's license. My foreign passport doesn't have the signature on the biographical page. So I am submitting a copy of my health card and my foreign passport's biographical page and the signature page separately. Is that ok? This is what's written in the requirements:
Your ID must
  • have your
    • name
    • photo
    • date of birth
    • signature
  • be valid (not expired)
  • Examples of ID you can use:
    • biographical page of your passport or travel document

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I don't have a driver's license. My foreign passport doesn't have the signature on the biographical page. So I am submitting a copy of my health card and my foreign passport's biographical page and the signature page separately. Is that ok? This is what's written in the requirements:
Your ID must
  • have your
    • name
    • photo
    • date of birth
    • signature
  • be valid (not expired)
  • Examples of ID you can use:
This is what it says.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

photocopies of two (2) pieces of personal identification.

Examples of identification you can use include:

• a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document (as requested above and also can be one (1) of your pieces of personal identification)
  • permanent resident card (PR card)
    • A PR card may only be used as personal identification if your second piece of personal identification was issued by the Canadian government.
  • driver’s licence
  • health insurance card
  • senior citizen identification card
  • age of majority card
  • foreign identity documents, such as a passport or government issued identification documents
So, you can use your health card and your PR card, right? You can submit your PR card if you use health card as a second identification (since it is issued by a government in Canada).

Reactions: Mah11

Shore1

May 23, 2021
This is what it says.

So, you can use your health card and your PR card, right? You can submit your PR card if you use health card as a second identification (since it is issued by a government in Canada).
Thank you! The online application does not list the PR card. That is why I was confused.
Examples of ID you can use:

• driver’s licence
  • health insurance card
  • senior citizen identification card
  • age of majority card
  • foreign identity document, such as a government-issued ID
If there is information on the front and back sides of the ID, upload both sides.