+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Hi all, a bit confused after reading all 86 pages of this thread regarding Q13: 'Do you currently or have you ever held immigration or citizen status in a country other than Canada?'
The question is asking about 'status' but it seems people have been discussing to put visa in this question.
'Status' is not always the same as 'visa', for instance, I was on H1b status (==worker status) in the States for a few years, but never had a H1b visa since I didn't leave/reenter during my H1b years.
so my question would be are we supposed to only include 'visa' & home country citizenship in Q13? How about those immigration/nonimmigration status without a visa due to COS within the country?

Thanks for any input.

Shore1

May 23, 2021
Hi all, a bit confused after reading all 86 pages of this thread regarding Q13: 'Do you currently or have you ever held immigration or citizen status in a country other than Canada?'
The question is asking about 'status' but it seems people have been discussing to put visa in this question.
'Status' is not always the same as 'visa', for instance, I was on H1b status (==worker status) in the States for a few years, but never had a H1b visa since I didn't leave/reenter during my H1b years.
so my question would be are we supposed to only include 'visa' & home country citizenship in Q13? How about those immigration/nonimmigration status without a visa due to COS within the country?

Thanks for any input.
Q13 has become very tricky ever since they included visitor and other status in the options! I am not an expert but I think you're on the right track...H1b status will be covered under "worker", so in your case you should include it. Most people here have discussed visa for visitors.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you! The online application does not list the PR card. That is why I was confused.
Examples of ID you can use:

• biographical page of your passport or travel document
  • driver’s licence
  • health insurance card
  • senior citizen identification card
  • age of majority card
  • foreign identity document, such as a government-issued ID
If there is information on the front and back sides of the ID, upload both sides.
In that case, you can submit your health card and your foreign passport bio page + the page containing the signature.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Q13 has become very tricky ever since they included visitor and other status in the options! I am not an expert but I think you're on the right track...H1b status will be covered under "worker", so in your case you should include it. Most people here have discussed visa for visitors.
Tbh, I still feel like the "visitor" status here isn't for the normal visa with which you'll spend a normal vacation in a country, but more for living in a country under a visitor status : an example would be the super visa for the parents and grand parents of a canadian or PR. They can stay 2 years in Canada with that visitor status, and an equivalent in another country would be worth listing here, whereas the visa with which you spend 2 weeks in Hong Kong is simply covered as a physical presence list entry.

Of course, this is just my opinion and it's not worth much in absence of official guidance, which I didn't look for. Did anyone speak with an IRCC agent about this?

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
Tbh, I still feel like the "visitor" status here isn't for the normal visa with which you'll spend a normal vacation in a country, but more for living in a country under a visitor status : an example would be the super visa for the parents and grand parents of a canadian or PR. They can stay 2 years in Canada with that visitor status, and an equivalent in another country would be worth listing here, whereas the visa with which you spend 2 weeks in Hong Kong is simply covered as a physical presence list entry.

Of course, this is just my opinion and it's not worth much in absence of official guidance, which I didn't look for. Did anyone speak with an IRCC agent about this?
I share the same opinion. People could have a visitor visa for 10 years but only visited for a few weeks. Thus the visitor status was only established for that few weeks instead of the whole 10 year visa validity period. Q13 seems to be asking about about immigration/nonimmigration status while IN a country other than Canada.
I also have a H4 visa but have never used that visa yet. I don't think I ever have held a H4 STATUS.
however we are certainly not the authority to set the terms for Q13.

wink

May 25, 2021

Looks like this person spoke to IRCC:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/posts/9274853/

Reactions: summerxx

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
thx for the info. To be safe, we might just include both visa and status in Q13 then.
It's super confusing, also because student/visitor/work are not considered as immigration status in the States. They are non-immigration status. The first time I read Q13, my first reaction is it's asking about green card stuff or such, which is immigration related. I could see this would confuse others down the road.
Thanks again folks for sharing your thoughts.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
in this post the guy said that the agent from CIC told him that other documents should be included as well … does that mean we have to include a paper copy or proof of residence permit from any other country or visas from other countries? Or just mention these visas or residence permits in question 13 without documentation?

@rajkamalmohanram

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/posts/9274853/
No, simply mention all your visas/statuses in other countries in Q13.

You will, however, have to submit a copy of ALL the pages of your passport with your citizenship application as per the instruction guide.

nourmandy2

May 11, 2019
Hi ,
I have question about the validation of the application ,can I validate and print before the date of the application? I knew that I have to print the presence calculator on the same day!thanks